fuzzyping

2002 Toyota 4Runner

I finally finished (yeah, right!) the system in my 2002 Toyota 4Runner. I couldn't have done it without everyone's help here on the SSA forums, particularly denim, SSaudio, SoundSplinter, mrray13, and probably others that I'm forgetting (sorry!). Anyways, enough with the chatter. Enjoy your build log pr0n! :)

I originally saw this design and thought it would be a nice fit for my daily SQ system. After reading that mrray13 achieved good results, it was a no-brainer to move forward with this instead of the typical sealed, since I have the room for it.

rliss1ha0.png

rliss2bn3.png

Here I'm dry-fitting the first cuts for the TL box.

IMG_0019.jpg

Cutting out the front panel.

IMG_0020.jpg

Proof that this really is the TL box from the forum. :)

IMG_0021.jpg

And the full dry-fit before assembly.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I was going to add some fancy handles to the front, but decided against it. I don't think they would have been structurally sound given the weight of the box and RL-i8 combined. Hopefully I won't need to move it too much.

IMG_0025.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

IMG_0029.jpg

Mapping out where everything will fit. Yes, I'm anal.

IMG_0030.jpg

The terminal post is installed.

IMG_0034.jpg

Beginning final assembly with glue and screws.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

The RL-i8 has stepped in to supervise.

IMG_0049.jpg

Hello everybody!

IMG_0051.jpg

Here we are with the full assembly (need carpet) and the grille. I really hate to hide the beauty of the RL-i8, but it would be a crime for a stray 9-iron to find its way through the dust cap.

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

Crappy picture of my beloved 4Runner.

IMG_4678.jpg

The JBL P650c components went into the stock sail and door panel locations. I'll take more pictures when I go back in to install the RAAMmat.

IMG_4667.jpg

The quintessential song for listening to any new stereo.

IMG_4669.jpg

A close-up of my new head unit (Pioneer DEH-P5900iB). I've got a 2nd-gen iPod hooked up behind the console, and the XM module hidden in the cargo panel door.

IMG_4672.jpg

Started removing seats and crap. I never realized how badly this truck needs a carpet cleaning before taking these pictures. :(

IMG_4634.jpg

The Sundown Audio 100.4 taking it easy in the captain's chair.

IMG_4639.jpg

A few shots of my 4 AWG running from the stock battery through the passenger side of the firewall. I ran the power through the side channel to the distribution block underneath the folding rear seats.

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

Pulled up the carpet while running cables.

IMG_4645.jpg

The SAX-100.4 installed and cabled.

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

With the seat back on...

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

The rear cargo area with the box and SAX-100.2. I still need to carpet the sub box, mount the SAX-100.2 properly, and organize these cables, I ran out of time tonight.

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

Edited by fuzzyping

:woot: for pics.

nice install so far :)

looks sweet man

one thing, does that grill provide enough room for the sub's excursion?

looks sweet man

one thing, does that grill provide enough room for the sub's excursion?

Yeah, I believe so. The grille is mounted on top of the rubber gasket (not on the box itself). I'm going to pound it with some tunes later today and check it visually. Given the advertised 18mm excursion, I would have to push the driver's limits to get close.

I hope. ;)

Nice attention to detail. Enjoy that little beast!

I would love to hear it, and heck if I knew you had a nice work shop I might have come over. ;)

I would love to hear it, and heck if I knew you had a nice work shop I might have come over. ;)

I forgot that the Suitland event was yesterday or I would have driven over. You're always welcome in Westminster for beer and some tunes. I need someone with a good ear and real experience to tell if I have it dialed in properly (sounds great to me!).

P.S. What you don't see is the table saw with extended fence, compound miter saw, jointer, planer, and drill press. I might have to post pics of the rest of the shop. ;)

I forgot that the Suitland event was yesterday or I would have driven over. You're always welcome in Westminster for beer and some tunes. I need someone with a good ear and real experience to tell if I have it dialed in properly (sounds great to me!).

P.S. What you don't see is the table saw with extended fence, compound miter saw, jointer, planer, and drill press. I might have to post pics of the rest of the shop. ;)

I could not make Suitland, Saturday did not go as planned and so I had to miss the competition yesterday. Still Terry was there and put up a 156.6 in street A, which means I would be a repeat performance for me from the last show. His car is really well done, and he has far more skill/experience then I, so my chances locally in A while he is competitive are kaputz. But this year is not a serious push more so testing and getting back into it, #1 not having the power and #2 not having the time or the money to dump into the civic sort of hurts.

nice box mang....ive been thinking of making a box like that also....how does it sound

I think it sounds incredible, but I'm just getting my 'phile ears back after 15 years. It blends perfectly with the rest of the system and hits *really hard* when I want it to. It can put out way more bass than I would have ever expected from a 8", particularly since I'm only feeding it the SAX-100.2 bridged at 8 ohms.

My favorite part is cranking up track #9 of the Mercedes Tape Mix (18) and holding my hand to the box... no vibration on the surface whatsoever... and yet, the vehicle feels like it's going to burst. :D

very nice install. I have a 4runner limited and am plannin on doing a complete audio makeover. Havent fully decided on what im getting yet though. that box looks huge in your cargo area.

very nice install. I have a 4runner limited and am plannin on doing a complete audio makeover. Havent fully decided on what im getting yet though. that box looks huge in your cargo area.

Thanks, it was my first attempt at a real CA installation. That box takes up just under half of the floor space in the back, up to 10" high. Still plenty of room for gear, but it is a fairly large box for a 8". With that in mind...

I noticed that the enclosure has a ripple in the low end which bothers me on certain songs. I'm donating the box to denim and building a new one based on a design from Hexibase.

857413155_ab1d39d42f.jpg

do you think you can post up the design for that box when you get it?

do you think you can post up the design for that box when you get it?

I can't post the detailed dimensions, but the design is right there above ^^^ .

I got to listen to the install the other day. Amps are doing great. The high highs to mid range is clean and accurate on flat EQ setting. My preference wants a little lower crossover point for the mids. But we will see once deadening is in. :)

Maybe have some small custom kicks, and have a 3 way active front stage and have the 100.2 on mid-bass' ;)

I got to listen to the install the other day. Amps are doing great. The high highs to mid range is clean and accurate on flat EQ setting. My preference wants a little lower crossover point for the mids. But we will see once deadening is in. :)

Maybe have some small custom kicks, and have a 3 way active front stage and have the 100.2 on mid-bass' ;)

Is it better to house the tweeters in kick panels instead of the sail panels? I can imagine getting a set of kicks for the mids and tweets, and putting some midbass in the doors. Presumably the kick panels will have enough room for the Seas comps I already have (RNX). Do you think the Seas would sound better than the JBL P650c's?

Too many choices! :)

As for sounding better, that I can't say until heard. But I would venture to say the Seas would be pretty good for sure. But for imaging, yeah, the mids and tweets in a kick would be a little better. The disparity in distance to the drivers ear is less, then when placed in the door. But I like the way you are thinking about mid-basses in the doors. I was just kind of throwing that idea out there since you had mentioned about having more power for the sub stage. I don't trust my glassing skills to build kicks, but NDmstang65 has a 4runner and I believe he did vifa kicks, and he is a skilled builder if you would want some assistance.

If you head in that direction, with a great deal of work, you could have an SQ competition level system. :)

I started building the new T-Box today. Managed to get everything cut, will probably have it assembled before the end of the weekend. Enjoy the pics!

First, a few shots for the woodshop pr0n fanatics. I also have a 13" Ridgid planer and a Craftsman jointer/planer that didn't make it in any shots. Quite a few of my toys are on rollers since I don't have a lot of space for dedicated work areas, including the table saw here.

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

And of course, the box.

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

Um yeah, I will be driving to westminister to build my next box. ;)

Um yeah, I will be driving to westminister to build my next box. ;)

LOL! I also forgot to mention the DeWalt plunge router on the router table to the right (upper-left, last picture) and my beloved Craftsman biscuit jointer. :)