acsamples21

Score

dude, quit crying.

you hit a 139+ with 1 sub that is, what i would call, half powered, with a terribly charging system to begin with, voltage drop on your 1200rms (and you probably dont even have your amp ran right anyways), your box design doesnt seem to have a very good vibe with the btl, its untested, the scores were on MUSIC and its all done in a trunk car.

please tell me the back seats were at least down.

not trying to be super rude but its like you just threw this all in there and expected "a 150"... :)

if all of this is in a trunk car and the seats were not folded down you can really expect a big difference just right there...

dude, quit crying.

you hit a 139+ with 1 sub that is, what i would call, half powered, with a terribly charging system to begin with, voltage drop on your 1200rms (and you probably dont even have your amp ran right anyways), your box design doesnt seem to have a very good vibe with the btl, its untested, the scores were on MUSIC and its all done in a trunk car.

please tell me the back seats were at least down.

not trying to be super rude but its like you just threw this all in there and expected "a 150"... :)

if all of this is in a trunk car and the seats were not folded down you can really expect a big difference just right there...

dude wut the HELL are u talkin about i never EVER said i expected a 150 IN FACT i cleared that up earlier! so just adding that in there..second IM NOT crying because i KNOW wtih my wattage and crappy charging system thats a pretty good score! i just made this topic for SUGGESTIONS on if everything was correct or wut ppl would change...BTW my amp is DEFINTELEY ran right! it was done professionally and inspected (im not retarded) the box design is FINE i understand it should be alil bigger...and MUSIC like Hypnotize is still good for testing...and yes the back seats are ALWAYS down.... i KNOW its untested me and alex (farriswheel) are testing TOMORROW MORNING and ill let you KNOW how it does! im not COMPLAINING as it sounded i just wanted to know WHO would do WHAT differently!

it has a 100 amp fuse. wattage= ampsxvolts. now correct me if im wrong, but at 12 volts, wouldn't it put around that much turned up all the way?

at 12 volts.. it will put out rated power. Nothing more Nothing less.

I have to agree with almond on this one...

where do you get 1200 or even 1600 watts from ???

They list that as MAX power which tends to be BS...

not even the higher grade Orion-8002 can give out 1600 watts

So the facts are

you did a 139.2 on ONLY 800 watts (if that since you said your V drops to 11 or so)...

I know some people with 1K watts that hit only a few tenths of a db higher then you...

I'd be pretty stoked

well i mean if you say they call that its MAX then you should see why alex (farriswheel) says its 1200 because of the fuse rating (100 amp) i say that its 1200 based on what he tells me! so he says 1200 because of the fuse rating with the charging system!

sounds like neither one of you know what your talking about. not to be an ass, but an accidental 139.x isn't bad. ditch that amp an pick up a better class d and you should be able to break 140's no problem. i'm doing a hair under 140 with a single 12 on music and a single dd m1 on music. (be it a very musical 140 :) ) so with a little more testing and certainly more power you should be right there.

I was gonna type out a long drawn out lesson on the fuses vs wattage... but almond you've said what i was really thinking bro...

Lets put it simple, do you think if i put a 200 amp fuse in there i would now get 2400 watts out of that amp...

If it were that simple I would be sticking 400 amp fuses in my amps to get MORE then RMS power

In fact orion themselves state that MAX (in the glossary) is a very inaccurate account of wattage where RMS is a more accurate account...

Read up on things before you stick something in your car and hook it up... that's how things go poof...

I was gonna type out a long drawn out lesson on the fuses vs wattage... but almond you've said what i was really thinking bro...

Lets put it simple, do you think if i put a 200 amp fuse in there i would now get 2400 watts out of that amp...

If it were that simple I would be sticking 400 amp fuses in my amps to get MORE then RMS power

In fact orion themselves state that MAX (in the glossary) is a very inaccurate account of wattage where RMS is a more accurate account...

Read up on things before you stick something in your car and hook it up... that's how things go poof...

well like stated by almond when it comes to amps ill admit I DONT know wut im talkin about thats why i left it up to ALEX so dont waste your time explaining the lesson to me! tell HIM! but alex isnt stupi dand he does know what hes talking about for th emost part

not if either one of you can distinguish between rms and peak power out of a two channel a/b amp.

not if either one of you can distinguish between rms and peak power out of a two channel a/b amp.

yupp...

furthermore i would question anyone who tells you that based solely on the fuse ratings on your amp what that amp is putting out wattage wise... why would an amp that CAN put out 1200 watts (yet claim to max out at 1600w) put only a 100 amp fuse ? hmmm

a sundown 1500 watt amp true RMS has 4 x 40 amp fuses for a total of 160 amps and it puts out less then what you WCC orion amp claims to put out..... I would serious reconsider what wattage you guys think it's putting out based solely on that logic itself..

Also man don't be so defensive we are trying to help you... If you trust this person more then what some of our experienced members are trying to tell you then why make a post for help... just PM "alex"

Edited by theabunai

well, i have to say that you guys aren't too smart. WOW! youv'e competed in a soundoff! OMG! wtf how does that make you an expert. my dad has hand built many amps. From tubes to some solid state. been to college FOR designing certain electronics. ive learned much of what i know from him. I'm going to stick with what he tells me instead of you.

also, someone on another forum had the same amp benched for 1286 watts. might not be the exact amount but whatever.

and the amp was priginally matched to an AQ not a btl.

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Orion_8002/

Orion 8002

← home

Output Power at 13.8V:

2 x 200W @ 4 ohms (0.05% THD)

2 x 400W @ 2 ohms (0.1% THD)

1 x 800W @ 4 ohms bridge (0.1% THD)

Fuse: 100A

Argument over.

This was originally a thread about improving your score, so why argue? fighting online drives off the experienced members with enough sense not to get involved, instead of encouraging them to help.

You're underpowering your btl at around 1/2 its rms, hands down, and you should be happy with the score you got with the fact you've done no testing.

i've built amps and went to college as well. so have a few others here.

but you can go right on ahead thinking you know everything. in a year or two you'll look back and go "damn did i really think that."

Problem 1: Box to small. Shoulda went with a 12.

Problem2: Amp is WAY to small. Shoulda went with a BL or SSD with that power.

Problem3: Not enough port area. Do you realize thats only 25 sq inches. I dont know any 15s that only need that much.

Problem4: User error.

/life before you cause to many more problems.

Next youll say, "I blew it."

okay....seriously it doesnt matter WHO DOES and DOESNT know wut theyre talkin about with the amp situation regardless its being underpowered ( ILL GET MORE) and this topic has completely messed the hell up! i dont WANT people tellen me WHAT i did wrong as in (wrong size sub) i WANTED to know wut i could do with what ive got to help it...

i've built amps and went to college as well. so have a few others here.

but you can go right on ahead thinking you know everything. in a year or two you'll look back and go "damn did i really think that."

I still don't get why you think you're an expert. Again, I'll listen to my dad, over 27 years of experince. Im not saying i know everything either, i don't think your right on the amp at all. So there's no such thing as a slightly underated amplifier?

I'm sure I know less about car audio than the steaming pile of poo you left in the bathroom this morning. Nevertheless, I know there's no substitute for hands-on experience. All the experienced dads in the world don't mean chit if you haven't done it yourself. I'm not saying you haven't... just that you keep falling back on information you inherited from your father (hopefully nothing got lost in the translation).

is there no such thing as an underrated amplifer?

well hey if you can get more than 100% efficiency out of an amp go for it. don't listen to any one here. and further more i'm far from an expert, i just know alittle something about electrical engineering. but hey that's cool. it's not my ride or my car that can't get loud tuned that high. good luck with you're spl endevours. do i see another lord baccus situation from splbassx forming here??

well hey if you can get more than 100% efficiency out of an amp go for it. don't listen to any one here. and further more i'm far from an expert, i just know alittle something about electrical engineering. but hey that's cool. it's not my ride or my car that can't get loud tuned that high. good luck with you're spl endevours. do i see another lord baccus situation from splbassx forming here??

and what situation would that be?

your amp is NOT putting out 1200 watts... i'm sorry it's not...

Call orion if you must It's not putting out 1200 watts so lets move on past this trivial detail and get you some help....

Fist off to score 138~139 on 800 watts in my opinion is pretty damn impressive...

But if you want more...

I would upgrade the amp...

What you can do with what you have....

Tune higher for better numbers...

increase port area (as ford said)...

move the box around the vehicle (placement can raise you DB score up)..

Did you get a chance to measure and see at what frequency your vehicle peaks at? Are you simply wanting to hit the highest SPL number possible? Or are you looking for a useable daily driver? Box is definitely on the small side, port area is pushing limits as well (although there is a difference between 25sqin of aero port vs a 25 sqin slot port in terms of air flow). Can you run the ports externally and add more ports as needed for tuning and air flow? This will increase the current enclosure volume, although not look as clean. But it also gives you easier access to tuning and tweaking as well. 3-4 aeroports should be plenty for SPL... and you can probably get away with just 3 for daily. Id say that with only 2 of them on a 15" tuned low you will run into compression issues if you get anymore power than you currently have.

As for the amp, VXA=total Watts used, and not actually what is powering your sub. It includes the power turned to waste heat and the power that is pushing the sub. This is where the efficiecny number comes into play... and 60% is rather typical for an AB amp. This means that for all of the current X voltage pulled that only 60% of it will be used to power the sub and the other 40% is waste heat. This is where just roughly going by what is presented (12 V and 100Amp fuse rating) that you get 800W to the sub (balance of energy is turned into heat).

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks,

Scott

im more happy with the 142 and we were hittin in the 140's like nuthin today! i wasnt REALLY mad about the 139.2 and all but i just wanted suggestions.... now with out callen me an IDIOT like has been said...WHEN i get the new alt. and its installed WILL i make it even louder than that? my voltage was around 12.5 with the 142