Sign in to follow this  
tryatt

will i run into probs?

i've been running my magnum with about 800w for the last couple weeks, and its just dying for more power. i am having a new box designed, and i was thinking of buying a 1500bd. now obviously i dont wanna wire the sub to 4ohm, as i will have the same power as now, but i wanna wire it to 1ohm, so im looking at 1600w rms+ (assuming the amp is fine at 1ohm, which i've heard it should be)

i will probably have it scoped and setup the gains so it makes around 1.5k which i think is reasonable for a daily drive

what i wanna know is what is the maximum i can give it for a daily drive? i probably wont risk anything over 1.5k, but is anyone running more than that??

thanks in advance :)

from what I have read, many people are safely running a 1500bd to a 15 Mag. You will not hurt anything by running it at 1 ohm. Just play smart with the gains and volume levels. Other than that you should be fine, except for some hearing problems down the road.

My 15 Mag is dying for more power as well. I am just trying to get some cash together and find a PPI PC2350. I have found one but it came at a bad time. Just had to shell out a lot of cash for an emergancy flight/trip to TX. So it will have to wait a couple of weeks. But I can't fudgein wait till I get one. then that mag will really be moving.

just to clarify, i meant a Rockford fosgate 1500bd, not one of them hifonics 1500d's or whatever they are called :)

i'm quite excited about getting it!

might be putting it in a bandpass box too!(which should be tuned for SQ, as well as streetbass) and although most bandpass boxes i've heard sound like ass, the guy designing it is a genius ;) and i dont mean myself :P lol

Edited by tryatt

A well designed bandpass enclosure should yield excellent results. I couldn't bring myself to actually put the Mag in an enclosure though...... B)

A well designed bandpass enclosure should yield excellent results. I couldn't bring myself to actually put the Mag in an enclosure though...... B)

hehe

hows it sounding in an IB setup? :)

A well designed bandpass enclosure should yield excellent results.  I couldn't bring myself to actually put the Mag in an enclosure though...... B)

hehe

hows it sounding in an IB setup? :)

Well, the one time I actually hooked it up, it was awesome! But being as how I have to work on everyone else's vehicles, I have little time for my own. So she waits quietly still in pieces.

Make sure you post pics as soon as you can! The BP sounds rather intriguing.

yeah i think your nutz dude. i have a rock 1501bd running TWO 15' magnums. its to loud when i turn them up. also the amp dont work at 1 ohm, for two subs atleast. they are running at 2 ohm and they wang quite nicely.

yeah i think your nutz dude. i have a rock 1501bd running TWO 15' magnums. its to loud when i turn them up. also the amp dont work at 1 ohm, for two subs atleast. they are running at 2 ohm and they wang quite nicely.

does it shut down? maybe your voltage is dropping too low? or does it overheat?

what about if you turn down the gain? i will probably not draw any more than 1500w rms out of it after scoping, as i dont wanna run into probs as i'm running a stock charging system!

i have 2 rockford bd 1500's running both at 1 ohm, they will run at that. dont know how well they do that for daily driving ? but hell give it a shot. dont be scared :slayer:

well go figure two 15" mags would be loud in a hatchback. :+1::D

Dont plan on driving around all day at 1ohm, its not going to happen. I used to have my bd1500 at 1ohm, and I'd only get 30min before it shuts off. But thats a loud ass 30min let me tell ya. I've also had the bd1000 and that will pay all freakin day.

F*CKING HELL guys!

just hooked it up, and its one of the loudest single sub setups i've EVER EVER heard! especially in a big 4x4/SUV vehicle! to say i'm impressed is an understatement! and the mag is not even near its limits, even with no subsonic!

i'm guessing i'm running about 1.7k into it

only problem is the charging system is completely stock, and completly inadequate, the amp will shut down, and if you push it too hard too long, just before it shuts down it'l make the front of sound all crackly, so i'm assuming the voltage is dropping down to very bad levels lol!

just waiting for the new box, and hoping to break 140 on the termlab mics, with my personal best being 135.9db so far(which i managed with a RE SE12, in a 1.8cu ft box, and 1.25kw), which has far been exceeded, although i've not metered it yet

Edited by tryatt

Dont plan on driving around all day at 1ohm, its not going to happen.

Told ya!

the amp itself is fine at 1ohm :) its just the power supply that wont keep up!!

Well you gotta think....do amps cut off because they have no power...or because your running at a lower ohm that its rated it and it heats up and puts itself into protect? hmmm.....You can put all the power you want to it...its going to react the same and still cut off.

dude, the amp was cold :)

it only ran into probs as i drove home in the rain with the wipers going and the headlamps and fan on(to demist windows) :)

i have run amps at a lower than rated impedance before, and had no probs :)

Well I had no luck with it...also are these 04 bd's? Modified? I'd pound mine for a good 30min to an hour and then she would turn off :(

Well I had no luck with it...also are these 04 bd's? Modified? I'd pound mine for a good 30min to an hour and then she would turn off :(

Lil OT here, but Kickin, do you deal and Sony products?

Well I had no luck with it...also are these 04 bd's? Modified? I'd pound mine for a good 30min to an hour and then she would turn off  :(

its a 2002 model, unmodded..

i will be putting a voltmeter in soon, so i will know for sure if it WAS the voltage.. :)

Edited by tryatt

Well I had no luck with it...also are these 04 bd's? Modified? I'd pound mine for a good 30min to an hour and then she would turn off  :(

Lil OT here, but Kickin, do you deal and Sony products?

Yes I sell Sony

You have a PM.