astein3

Need new highs

Ok, let me start by saying I don't know chit about active, passive, crossovers, etc. I'm looking to get a new highs setup. I have a set of cadence components which I guess would be passive. I have a singlecab silverado so I was kinda thinking about losing the rear speakers completely and running just the front. Im guessing active would be the best way to go.

What do I need to do this? I plan on getting 2 mli-65's to start and a good four-channel amp. The HU i have now is a pioneer premier DEH6800MP. From what i've read, I dont think this HU is that great when it comes to the audio settings. I'm debating on replacing the pioneer with an eclipse cd5000 but what do you guys think?

The tweeters would be set up off axis unless i fiberglass a set of sails but i think they will most likely be off axis.

NEED HELP. THANKS!

If you go the active route you are either going to need crossovers in your headunit (preferred) which currently you don't have or an amp that is capable of crossing over the drivers. The one bit of info you left out was what amplifier you were using for the front stage.

You are most definitely correct in not needing any rears in your truck. As for the speaker mounting locations in a NBS the stock locations are just fine. I would encourage you to not use the pillars as they aren't anywhere near optimal and having the tweeter close to the mid is helpful in integration with minimal processing as well.

If you go the active route you are either going to need crossovers in your headunit (preferred) which currently you don't have or an amp that is capable of crossing over the drivers. The one bit of info you left out was what amplifier you were using for the front stage.

You are most definitely correct in not needing any rears in your truck. As for the speaker mounting locations in a NBS the stock locations are just fine. I would encourage you to not use the pillars as they aren't anywhere near optimal and having the tweeter close to the mid is helpful in integration with minimal processing as well.

Well its run off the HU now, i'm still lokking into amplifiers. A couple of my friends have Autotek SS100.4's and they really like them. Are those worth buying or should i save up for something better like a SAX100.4. Is the eclipse HU better when it comes to crossovers? If not, suggestions on HU would be appreciated as well.

told you that ur tweeters were too far from your mids. mine probably are too.

burg i know you wont mind me thread jackin you a lil, but i have a question that could help me and you out. wut should the xover point be from mid to high? how low in freq should the tweeters play? and how high should the mids play?and how low should the mids play? i have eD 6000 (version 1) mids up front with cadence 1 inch tweeters. my alpine HU will deff let me choose the xover point. 9835 is the shiznit. thanks

Eh i don't believe all the crap about mids needing to be close to the tweets. some of the best sounding setups i've ever heard (in a car of course) has the tweet very far away from the mids.

the cd5000 has the crossovers you need IIRC. the 9835 will too.

I'm not sure about the sax100.4, but i'm not a big fan of amp crossovers anyway. It's just way more convenient to be able to tune your system from the seat you listen in.

crossover points depend on many things. Type of vehicle, type of speakers, where they're mounted and whether they're enclosed or IB will all change your FR and where you need your crossover points. Then of course there's personal preference on top of all that.

i'll go way out on a limb here and say USUALLY your mids will play down to 50-100hz and up to 1khz-3khz. Your sub plays down to 20-30hz and up to 50-100hz (where the mids take over). The tweet will play down to about 2x its Fs, i wouldn't go any lower than that, but that doesn't mean you have to go that low either. If a higher point sounds better, go with it.

I have no experience with the MLI's but i'm betting they'll play up to 3-4khz relatively smooth and probably usable a bit above that as well.

ok got another question. i have a fullsize ext cab truck. i have a descent set of rainbow components that i wanted to keep in the rear, but if im goin to go active for front stage using my 4 ch amp i wont be able to have the rainbows in the back anymore. my HU only has 3 pre outs, sub, mid and high. i dont supose there is anyway to keep the rear speakers unless i run them off the HU speaker channels, (which i dont want to do) or run them parallel with my front stage? meaning ill run the mids(2 6.5's and 2 5.25's) on a set of channels and the tweets(4 tweets) on a set of channels. would this hurt the SQ?