Sign in to follow this  
Tye

Little tears in spiders of my Btl 15's

Hi i have a pair of Btl 15's fully loaded run off of a 5000.1 with 5 batteries and 300amp alt. After having them in for a month i took them out to check on them.

The coils still read the same and looked fine but there were a few small tears in the spiders on each sub. The box is 9.5 net tuned to 28hz with 140sq" port.

I know i clipped my amp for a bit at a local comp where i did 149.1 at 30hz on the termlab legal. Would adding another spider help or is my box to big?

Comments from the great ones please!

In all honesty, I wouldnt worry too much about it. Id simply keep beating on them until you get something to fail. Having cracks, tears, or rips in spiders often occurs with overexcursion. But even at that I have seen subs continue on without issue. How old are the subs?

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott. I figured it was either overexcursion or that the leads got so hot that they burnt some of the spider when it hit the leads and made a little cut in the spider.

I've had them for about 2 months now. This is Tye from Thunder Bay, ON Canada. I'll keep hammering on them to they fail and then get them reconed to 18's or maybe an extra spider.

Its hard for me to keep the customer names and forum names straight half the time...lol

Just keep beating on the sub. It wont mind the spider tears. We normally use a 5 spider combination on the BTLs now. Seems to provide the best durability. Some SPL apps have even more. Having wear, cracks, tears, or anything in 1 spider wont amount to much in the grand scheme of things. Just keep punishing it :)

Things sound OK so far?

yeah things are great so far. I like the sound of the btl's, very musical. I can do 148+ from 28hz to 35hz. They play all my kinds of music well, from bass mekanik to Cannibal Corpse.

Thanks for the info Scott, it was very helpful!

My friend has a 15 BTL and the same thing happend to him with the cracked spiders. He told me his leads broke through from the insane excursion.=)

yea, mine ripped, but its my own damn fault. thanks for making me feel "super" again lil matt.

Scott, the btl's come with 5 spiders now, i am pretty sure mine has three, or am i dumb, i know johnnys 18's had three , so were the 15&18 originally 3 spiders?

Four is what the main page has

18's have 3...12's 15's originally had 4..now have 5

Sign in to follow this