Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

Install: Line Out Converter

I'm getting ready to install and aftermarket sub and amp to my friends Ford Edge. I have a Stinger LIne Output Converter for the Edge. Problem is....is that they don't make one for the 07'. It's the same wire scheme, but I can't directly hook it up using the factory harness. I was going to cut and splice the wire and hook it up that way, but not sure which wires are positive, negative, and which wire is the ground. I really need your help. Everything is ready to go except this step.

stinger.jpg

Photo of the Factory harness from the Edge. This harness hooked into the factory amp.

P8030439.jpg

Edited by JazzScreamer

Yes, they will still work, you don't need to disconnect them, all you need is to tap off of them in parallel.

Great. Do I still need to run the ground on the Converter. If so, Could I just run a wire from the HU to the Converter? Thanks a million. This has been bothering me for a while.

Ground to the sheet metal nearest the line converter, or an already existing ground (like the one for the tail lights).

Finally got a chance to work on the LOC and things aren't going well. Here's where I'm at.

1. Tapped into the right rear speaker to connect onto the LOC. (Amp is all connected minus the RCA's and the wired on the LOC). I connected the 2 wires (+, -) one side of the LOC and got nothing.

2. I jumped the (+) and (-) to have all four speaker connection working and boom, boom. Everthing was working.

3. So I thought I should tap into the left rear spaker and connect it also to the LOC (left channel and right channel) Did this and got nothing, Only a very slight signal. Why did this happen?

Even when the sub was working with step 2, the sub had a slight hum to it and I did have to turn up the gain and boost quite a bit to get a decent sub sound. I disconnect the RCA's and still had the hum. I'm thinking it's a bad ground.

PLEASE HELP!! I'm really frustrated. This is my first LOC install.

If you disconnect the RCA's from the amp and the subs still hum.. then you already found your second problem. It's obviously a bad ground (could also be a bad amp, but that's pretty unlikely). You want to find a grounding point that is as close to 0 ohms as possible (you can check with a DMM).

As far as the LOC getting a poor signal, whenever I used one I always tapped off of one speaker and then used little wire jumpers to get signal to the other channel of the LOC. Just always worked better that way. I can't really explain why. If I had to guess I would say some sort of electrical cancellation.

I thought I did have a good ground. It's the seat bolt that I connected to. Sanded down the paint till it was bare metal. The hum is not that loud as I remember, but it is still there. I will check the ground to the LOC. Would it be better to have it with the AMP ground or seperate? Thanks.

I thought I did have a good ground. It's the seat bolt that I connected to. Sanded down the paint till it was bare metal. The hum is not that loud as I remember, but it is still there. I will check the ground to the LOC. Would it be better to have it with the AMP ground or seperate? Thanks.

I'm getting a midrange pitch through the sub and it makes a squarble noise also. What do I do.

I'm getting a midrange pitch through the sub and it makes a squarble noise also. What do I do.

With nothing else but power & ground connected to the amp?

Not sure if I know what you mean.

With everything hooked up I get a hum. I disconnected the RCA, and I still get a hum. With the LOC grounded and not grounded I get hum. Its' a wurble and distorted sound coming from the sub. The sub still moves as it should, but it has that weird noise along with it. None of the other speakers are getting this sound. I know it's not the sub because I hooked it up to my truck and worked fine.

If there is no RCAs hooked to the amp... the amp ground is bad, or it is amp related.

I grounded to a Seat bolt, is this OK.

Sorry for all the questions, I wanna learn more and not make the same mistakes in the future.

Thank you!!!!! You guys rock.

It may not be, try another one and see if your problem goes away.