Sign in to follow this  
82cutty

2 mj 18's . Now with pictures of box build

Hay everyone...this kid i know wants 2 18's in his 04 explorer . I have been reading up on these and from what i read they are very nice . Anyway...how much port do these like . I'm thinking like 5-6 cubes each tuned to 35 hz...atleast 500 watts on each . He hasn't decided on amp yet . They are going to fire up and port up also . What do you guys think

Thanks for any input

Scott

Edited by 82cutty

what year explorer??

two would pound pretty good

not sure on how much space to give em though

Edited by aznboi3644

what year explorer??

two would pound pretty good

not sure on how much space to give em though

04 explorer . Yeah it should sound nice . It's either these 18's or 4 15's of the black series from powerbass . Those are very nice for what they are

There is also the MAW-15 from Mach5. But the pair of 18's ported and tuned low with a strong amp would be very cool.

There is also the MAW-15 from Mach5. But the pair of 18's ported and tuned low with a strong amp would be very cool.

That's what I'm thinking . He gave me the money to buy one 18 today . Next week he'll have the money for the other one . I'll post some pictures when I get to installing . So what do they need atleast 500 watts ea. ? Do you know how much port they like ?

about 53 square inches of port area

50in. for both or each ? I would think atleast 50 each . I'm going to tune it at 35 hz.

Should sound nice

I ordered 1 of the 18's yesturday...he should have the money for the other one next week .

I'll post some pictures when I get this going

Infinite Baffle.

They're going in an explorer so i'm going to port them . Is 6 cubes plenty ? Gonna tune to 35hz.

Sealed 6ft^3 is fine... need close to 8.5-9 ported.

Sorry didn't specify...6 cubes ea. so 12 cubes total

Plan on powering these with 300W each or something? Too big...

Ok so 4.5 - 5 cubes ea. is the most you would go with ported ? I'm just trying to get the most out of these . Going to have 1200 watts on the pair .

That is what I would go ported if I ran one ported... yes.

Question is... at what freq?

That is what I would go ported if I ran one ported... yes.

Question is... at what freq?

35hz. Also how many inches of port do these need . I going to do a single slot port for the 2 . 100 inches of port for the 2 a good start ?

Yep.... better include LOTS of bracing & double baffle.

Yeah I have 4 sheets of mdf allready and some 2 x 3's . Probably going to use some resin also . I double baffle everything i build lol .

I just got the first 18 today...looks nice I'll post some pics of the build when I get it going

Thanks for the help

Resin adds no strength... it only seals when used alone. Add some glass strands... and then you'll have something that can strengthen.

Resin adds no strength... it only seals when used alone. Add some glass strands... and then you'll have something that can strengthen.

Yeah...that's what I plan on doing

Definitely post some pictures and notes about your build...

Definitely post some pictures and notes about your build...

Sure will...Nice product you have . I will be buying more from you in the near future .

Thanks

Well i got one of the 18's in and should have the other one in on Monday . Went to home depot today and got 100.00 worth of MDF and 2 x 3's for the box. Gonna start building the box on Monday . I'll make sure to post some pictures