Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

BM10 proto pic

We did some sealed listening yesterday... it was excellent. Our sealed box was a bit large so mechanical power handling was low (it was hitting 16mm+ with 250 watts)... it had great low-end extension for a 10" driver and was very clean and tight -- blended well with the fronts. We couldn't judge output so much as my current sub-box was kind of blocking effective entry into the cab as we sat this box in behind it in my trunk.

Just finished thermal testing... played @ tuning in my test ported box with 500 watts as measured on my Fluke Clamp meter. I let it rip for 2 full hours @ 500 watts and it's fine. Motor was very very hot at the end of testing and the basket was hot but you could still touch it, unlike the motor which was painful to touch. Did not seem to get any hotter after about an hour and a half... stayed about the same temperature (guessing by feeling it).

That is a thermal rating... these things are super efficient and the only way I could keep it away from full x-max @ 500 watts was to play right at tuning in my ported box. You really don't NEED that much power... but quite simply, it would be damn hard to toast the coil on this thing as it would be physically letting you know to turn it down WAY before you could burn up the coil.

The T/S's are considerably different on the new BM's vs the old BM's. The new BM's will have MUCH more bottom-end than the previous models. The neat thing about the new BM's is how much more efficient they are. The 10" is fine with 500 watts for an hour thermally (literally, a constant sine wave for an hour), but I think we're going to stick with the 400 watt rating because the driver gets moving SO FAR with such LITTLE input. The little sucker throws down BIG TIME! We had it in a 1.5 ft^3 sealed box (which is gigantic for it) firing behind a box with two 10's and a back seat folded up and it was still moving the entire rear view mirror in Jake's Civic (not just blurring it - moving it). And that was with 250 watts.

The 10" BM proto we have is just awesome - flat out the most efficient speaker we've ever produced while also sounding really really really good at the same time. The mix of bottom end and accuracy up top impressed both me and Jake. I think we'll have a little 10" BM proto party up at Chad Hick's place soon. :)

Sounds very good. Is the new 12" BM going to have the same basket and characteristics as the new 10" driver? Also, how long until these go into production?

The efficiency really blew me away... I've never hooked up any speaker from any company that moved that far with that little power input... I was shocked. When we did listening tests we had my SAX-100.2 @ 8 ohms and we were able to reach full x-max in the large sealed box we had. Needless to say with 400 watts in a proper sized sealed box you would be golden.

As it stands how the new BM's are going to have the new basket. The basket looks a LOT better in person than it does in the pictures. The basket is thick, is finished nicely, and is very thick near the top plate so it transfers heat to the basket once the motor gets hot (and the motor was HOT during testing). We've never gotten a 12-spoke warm, but we got this basket warm - which is a good thing.

I'm still making contact with the build house finalizing things, so I'm not sure of the release date yet.

Speaking of which, anyone want to meet up for a BM 10" proto party? :)

where

I suggest you meet halfway at my place in Maryland. Aaron is bringing the beer. ;)

I'm thinking the Virginia area. :)

I wouldn't mind the NoVA area.

Well if Jason is driving to NOVA, I am riding. Could bring the ICON proto, maybe Jacob could bring a few of the SD's and SAE's to play with. Not sure if Mark would allow an IXL to be cracked open for play time.

:woot:

I would love to get JimJ at the meet for his SQ opinion. Mine is forever tainted because I own a company (because I'll "always say" my product is better, which isn't the case at all...especially if you look up my posts on other forums). :( Sucks really.

Gonna get any 12" protos in for testing?

We might have a 12" BM by then also...doubtful of a Mag...but it all depends. If the new Mag is present, well, :):) that will be fun. But to be honest, the new BM's sound quality is so good that I'm considering running multiple BM's over multiple Mag's.

But yeah, we could definitely make it into a meet.