Sign in to follow this  
vice24

new to fiberglass

Hey I was wondering if anyone here had made a enclosure or kick panels with fiberglass and had luck with it. I don't really know where to start or what works and what dosen't. I want to build a box for a sub or maybe some kick panels because Im getting borded with just plain boxes and want to build something unique. What do I need to buy and where can I get the materials? Are there any web sites that would help me? What do you use to cover the fiberglass after you lay it? Is it just plain bondo? I have never used fiber glass before, but I know my way around a shop just want to expand my horizons. :D Any info would help a lot.

sweet! that site was exactly what I was looking for. You gave me some serious stuff to read through, thank you so much.

Here is a rough outline of my notes. I'm also considering some custom door pods and possibly a custom sub panel for my 4Runner. I have not built anything myself yet, but I've been studying the work of others at DIYMA and FGF.

For a rear mold:

1. Tape out your mold area
  2. Apply your poly resin (B440 is recommended)
  3. Optionally, lay out some rope or other "spline" constructors to create additional strength
  4. Tear/cut up your glass mat, apply it to the resin, add more resin (repeat for as many layers as needed)
  5. Allow to dry, remove, trim the edges

For the facia/front mold:

1. Create your frame off the rear mold base (from rings, frames, dowels, etc)
  2. Stretch your "fleece" (polyester felt, spandex, etc... something that will hold the resin without flexing too much, but will also allow proper absorption of the resin)
  3. Staple/CA-glue/hot-glue the "fleece" to your framework as needed
  4. Apply your poly resin
  5. Tear/cut up your glass mat, apply it to the resin, add more resin (repeat for as many layers as needed)
  6. Allow to dry, remove, trim the edges
  7. Build-up/smooth the surface with Rage Gold, sanding in the "green stage"
  8. For a paint finish, use SEM primer and texture paint

Hopefully I haven't left out anything major. This probably will not answer all of your questions, but will hopefully get you started in the right direction. I've done quite a bit of research and feel comfortable about the supplies I've mentioned.

I should also mention this build log over at DIYMA. Jmelan did some incredible work on his 4Runner. This thread details his door pods and sub enclosure. Really great stuff, shows what a dedicated first-time fiberglass user is capable of.

sweet! that site was exactly what I was looking for. You gave me some serious stuff to read through, thank you so much.

no problem. . .i've been trying to work on some kick panels and a center console for my sonoma since May, but with the heat and humidity the way it is, i haven't gotten anywhere. . .nothing like sitting in a metal box thats 120 degrees after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. . .

and look at the post above this one. . .that is a decent outline of the procedure. . .

I should also mention this build log over at DIYMA. Jmelan did some incredible work on his 4Runner. This thread details his door pods and sub enclosure. Really great stuff, shows what a dedicated first-time fiberglass user is capable of.

that build is literally one of the best builds I've seen in a long time. He did amazing work and did a great job writing everything he did step by step. People just don't do this kind of work anymore(write-ups that is.) I actually posted on that forum(and I never do) just to compliment his work.

I see a lot of them make an MDF ring for the driver(s) and mount it on the door temp with whatever maybe foam or clay. Then they glass over it and glass the ring right into it. They use bondo to smooth the outside off and sand it smooth enough for whatever covering they are using. Just remember fiberglass is a liquid...I have used it and epoxy on boats....it likes to have a mold and is hard to use if you don't have something to shape it to. You can also use plastic on something and glass it, then take the plastic off after it kicks to make that shape without getting it all over, its really messy stuff. It can be easier if you can mold something on the outside, like a dollar store plastic bowl you mod to your shape/etc and line it with glass; pop it out and then you don't have to bondo it at all...just like a boat is made.

I see a lot of them make an MDF ring for the driver(s) and mount it on the door temp with whatever maybe foam or clay. Then they glass over it and glass the ring right into it. They use bondo to smooth the outside off and sand it smooth enough for whatever covering they are using. Just remember fiberglass is a liquid...I have used it and epoxy on boats....it likes to have a mold and is hard to use if you don't have something to shape it to. You can also use plastic on something and glass it, then take the plastic off after it kicks to make that shape without getting it all over, its really messy stuff. It can be easier if you can mold something on the outside, like a dollar store plastic bowl you mod to your shape/etc and line it with glass; pop it out and then you don't have to bondo it at all...just like a boat is made.

Fiberglass isn't a liquid , it's a solid material made from spun glass fibers hence the name fiberglass . Resin ( be it polyester, epoxy , polyisothropic yada yada ) on the other hand is a liquid in it's uncured state. Molds are great for laying up glass , but unless you plan on mass producing the part afterwards. A mold really isn't worth the time and effort needed to produce one :)

When you make something with fiberglass it will be a liquid mess, and the fiberglass cloth or mat will too once its wet. A mold is much easier if you are trying to apply it to a vertical or overhead place, or you don't want to make a mess where the part goes. All depends on how you want to do it, there is no right/wrong way really. I like molds because I have sanded enough bondo, so when possible I would use one. On some things I much prefer duraglass anyway.

I've never had a need to do molds... IMO they are really only needed if you are going to mass produce. If you are having trouble with vertical or overhead glassing, glue the matt or cloth to the tape/plastic/tin foil (whatever you use to keep the 'glass off of the parts being formed to. Let it set, then wet it.