Tirefryr

Need some harddrive help.

First off, I don't know much about computers so take that into consideration when replying please.

Anyways, my new harddrive came in for my OmniFi. I pulled the old one out, plugged the new one in, partitioned it for FAT32, plugged it into my Omnifi, and well, it creates a file called "\USR\newroot.xml", but it need's to be "\USR\root.xml" instead. Now, everything went fine until I plugged it back into my computer to change the file name. I cannot find the drive on my computer anywhere. It does not show up on the My Computer tab, but if I go to "safely remove hardware," it shows up. Anyone know what my problem is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

*shrugs*

I'm not sure even sure what an OmniFi is, so I can't help you...every time I've formatted a drive it was NTFS.

Do you have to mess with the master/slave configurations?

What sort of plug in? (USB, Firewire, Sata, E-Sata, IDE...)

What operating system?

It communicates via USB, but there are also some contacts on the bottom when it is slid into it's housing in the vehicle. I think that may be for power though.

I have no idea what my computer is formatted as. I told you I don't know jack about computers. I found this site:

http://members.cox.net/techfire/omnifi/dmp1/harddrive.html

and followed the directions and I'm stuck on the file renaming part because I cannot get it to show up on my computer. If I plug the old harddrive back in it works fine though.

If it is plugged in and recognized via Safe Hardware removal, it may just not be properly formatted.

If you are running XP, you should format it using NTFS, it's just a better file system than FAT32.

Before I tell you what to do actually, I need to make sure you're running XP because the process is a little different to look at what I need you to check in other OS's.

Well chances are you are, so I'll do it anyway.

IF XP;

Go Control Panel ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management ---> Storage ---> Disk Management (local) and see if you see it in that bottom list of drives at all, posibly not formatted correctly. If it's there it means the OS sees it but it's not in a properly formatted state for usage and you can reformat it properly here. From there you can right click on it and go to new partition, format the ENTIRE partition, give it a name and drive letter etc.. and format it as NTFS.

The big thing in there is just making sure the OS sees it so you can rule out any physical or mechanical error.