niqnak

8" woofers

8W7 still gets it by a large margin IMO. No 8" sub I've ever heard can compare to the 8W7, and the other subs that do compare are highly revered as amazing sounding subs (Brahma 12, Magnum 12). The ED 8s are no doubt nice, much nicer than most everything on the market, and are also no doubt the better value. The only subs I think that beat the ED8s in value and tonality are the new SI8s (just a better sounding sub for less money, although ED might have the SI in output). Not taking anything away from ED like I said earlier though. The 8W7 is just so far ahead of any other 8 out there that I've dealt with it's ridiculous. It's certainly not practical though (price, box size), but with value and practicality aside, and only performance in mind, the 8W7 is unmatched by any other 8 I've ever dealt with.

Output-wise though, the Big8 can handle more power, so in a ported application I think the Big8 might get the 8W7 by a little, but if both were sealed the 8W7 would probably edge it out (not a very fair comparison though since as I understand it, the Big8 needs to be ported).

Edited by josh99ta

try third beefiest Tcsounds made 8" toour knowledge. Not best of anything. Loud 8" yes sounds good thats subjectional. But beefy tc sub :boxin: I currently have two of these. Getting recone for the one I ripped the surround on and I'm thinking of reconing both to higher profile surround/lighter cone to keep moving mass as close to the same as possible then maybe change spider(s) to conter the new surround to keep it ideal for ported only like it is now

post-7-1089445244_thumb.jpg

hate to jump in like this..

but as far as 8's go, i think the rf hx2 needs some spotlight. as some of u know i used to run a pair of these in a 1.75ft^3(or so) enclosure with 12.5in^2 of port, tuned to 45hz. using my memphis 1000d, i nabbed a best of 139.6db on a freshly calibrated AC mike. givin the new termlab...that's about a 132-135. now, while that's not as loud as josh's firechicken, mine was done in a fullsize ram x-cab, with the box under the back seat. to me, it was indeed impressive.

as to sq...for the box tuning being that high..they were indeed a decent sounding sub. i had no trouble playing anything in my truck, from lil john to system of a down. they reproduced everything they could, clearly and quickly. the only thing i won't comment on is how low they could get. due to box tuning and the subsonic filter, they never played below 35hz...which is pretty low for 8's in my opinion anyway.

now figure in that these little monsters stood up to the pounding i gave them for about 1 1/2 years and the fact they are currently trying their best to dismantle a 2004 x-cab silverado(with a memphis 1000d doing the pushing,my bro-in-law's truck)and the fact i paid $139 a piece for them...i think they should get some ranking up with the best 8" subs made.

that's all...hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What or where can i find more info on the SI-8's... never heard of them... was finally ready to get myself some an E8a or two and now i can't find them so i guess they're no longer available. :(