fuzzyping

The smell of bass?

I just think dopey was too quick to point fingers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault, but Jacob hasn't released his findings yet. If it turns out to be user abuse, I'll accept the blame and make it up to Jacob. If not, well...

well by the sounds of it you were in the right parameters for your gain and your voice coil wasnt burned and it was a proto, so Im leaning towards manufacturer defect, but thats just a guess Jacob will have answers soon I bet on what really happened. Dopey heh ya he jumps the gun a bit and sometimes forgets to load it.

ROTFLMAO, Thanks guys that was funny....an amp that sneaks a smoke and blames/blows it on the sub, and some evil distorted bass causing the amp to smoke a cig....that was a great read. :lol2:

I'm sure the amp has some kind of issue.

Edited by sqguyib

I just think dopey was too quick to point fingers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault, but Jacob hasn't released his findings yet. If it turns out to be user abuse, I'll accept the blame and make it up to Jacob. If not, well...

First inspection showed that one of the legs on one of the filter inductors was broken.

My bet is that this happened after installation due to some kind of bump or jarring since both of them were charred, so something had to be running through that one for at least a while to char it as well as the other -- which makes me think it wasn't shipping.

Likely scenario... it got jarred and broke the leg after the part was already hot, increasing the load on the other part thus finishing it off.

Just a guess at this point. Now I need to know why the inductors were too hot to begin with. My first assumption would be that somewhere in the amp there was a weak solder joint, other than the inductor, which broke loose and caused the whole scenario. Could be a fluke, could be something I need to address for QC inspection in production. I'll be looking into it further, this is why I do so many prototypes :)

Anyhow... I'll make sure that those filter inductors receive plenty of silicone for production much like the SAZ amps. I would bet it's just a case of the part being jarred around without adequate physical support, which would not be his fault at all.

Agreed John

VERY Agreed

J

Thank you for the info Jacob.

First inspection showed that one of the legs on one of the filter inductors was broken.

I'm curious about the jarring you mention. If typical car driving (no off-roading) could result in this sort of damage, what type of mounting guidelines are recommended? I've used rubber and felt washers to isolate the amplifiers where possible. I don't have any good locations to mount the sub amplifier in the cargo area without serious modifications. Any suggestions are welcome.