Aaron Clinton

Any new 2008 cars your excited about??

LOL, did you see what happened to Toyota quality?

BTW, Ford no longer makes the GT (GT40). Sure the Vette is a great car, and a Mustang is no Vette even with a big blower on it...try riding in the back seat of a Vette or getting a cheap V6 model. They say that Cadillac V is getting pretty close, though I don't like that look they have. I never have like slab sided cars, the 80s were some to the worst in looks and performance.

Still orders of magnitude higher than GM's.

BTW, Ford no longer makes the GT (GT40). Sure the Vette is a great car, and a Mustang is no Vette even with a big blower on it...try riding in the back seat of a Vette or getting a cheap V6 model. They say that Cadillac V is getting pretty close, though I don't like that look they have. I never have like slab sided cars, the 80s were some to the worst in looks and performance.

yep, we know the gt40 is gone again, lol. and back seat or cheap v6? glad that's sarcasm, and i loved the cts v. wish the wife would have been ok with a stick, we would have a v outside instead of the trailblazer.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

As I have driven the most recent of Z06's, at over $70, I really don't feel it is such a bargain. In reality, the small fractions of performance superiority of the Corvette over competitors will never been expereienced by 90% of Corvette owners. In the end, would I pay $75k for the top end Corvette, or $75 for a modest 911? I would choose the 911 every time. Yes it is more expensive to own, but I know the quality is superior, I would feel safer, and know that it will not depreciate at the rate the Corvette will. Unless I were to suddenly come upon a great deal of money and had the need for a rocket sled that had to be under $100k, maybe I would consider the Corvette. But in all honesty at that point, I feel there are better cars to spend my money on when money is of less value to me. The Corvette is an insane car, there is no denying that, I know first hand the best of all Corvettes made has an unreal engine and good suspension, but that is pretty much it. There are a few things I expect from a car depending the price bracket it falls in. As Sean mentioned before there is too much cost & quality cutting going on, and it shows in the Z06. I will take an M3 please.

A previous post seemed to compare the GT500 Mustang and the Corvette, I just don't think they compare. Even if they are close in performance they are an apple and an orange if Ford vs GM. GM has done some great things with the Corvette and Cadillac, problem is they dug such a huge hole....that is a hard one to get out of for all the US makers. I'd still buy US if I could. They are projecting 8% unemployment for MI in 2008 instead of the 7.7% we have now, or 6-7% we have had since 2001. Today they said Detroit just became the #1 Worst City to Live In....MI is getting a lot of firsts lately and none of them are good.

I am disappointed in the SRT4, it does not seem to be that fast. A normal awd WRX dusted one in the 1/4 with 225HP over srt's 285....and was supposed to be 300 before it came out.

GT500 cannot compare to the Z06...the suspension in the GT500 is not made for the kind of power it has...the Z06 is the closest thing to a supercar the american can do, except the Saleen S7 and the Ford GT

Fast or not, you wouldn't call the Z06 a supercar if you drove it back to back with a real one. Comparably it feels like a truck and rides like one as well. In an effort to gain handling GM forgot to engineer a suspension to actually absorb the road. Drive one and then hop in an M5 and you will never say that the Corvette handles well again. No denying what it can actually do, just the method in which it does it. :(

edit: note, I am not saying an M5 is a supercar, but good luck getting a dealer to let you test drive a true supercar or even a newer 911 turbo for that matter.

Yeah, years ago I had a 5.0 LX mustang. Motor of gold but the car left a little to be desired. It was fun but finally got tired of hardly ever driving it. I hauled lots of stuff in my truck then plus it sat all winter. I sold it and happened on a DSM AWD turbo cheap. The difference was unreal, it was pretty close to as fast at the time. It had IRS in back and I think KYB struts or the like, ride and handling was worlds better it didn't even compare....and that was just a Mitsu. Of course in the winter I was a rally racer, way too much fun with that AWD. It was easy to pull giant powerslides up to 60mph, the turbo didn't hit as hard after that in fourth and that was pushing enough for me. People that never drove AWD in the winter don't have a clue what they are missing. I could holeshot anyone in the snow, can't count the times I was doing 70 on the expressway and it twitched so I slowed and there were 4 cars in the ditch. Unfortunately we can't make cars like that in the US.

never called the Z06 a supercar...i should have said the closest thing chevrolet could get to a supercar....

the Z06 supposedly drives good on the track, but like M5 said, the suspension wasn't engineered like it should have been...it suppose to drive bad(like the GT500) on the streets

i would much rather drive a car that can go around corners rather than a straight line well....or a car that goes sideways round a gravel corner :) goddamn i need to get rich so i can get the STi of my dreams

I wouldn't say that a Ferrari or any other car with a tight tuned suspension drives anything other than "rough" on the road. Ride comfort wasn't exactly on the list of considerations. The M- cars don't exactly ride well and they're touring cars. Even the 335ci got bad marks on ride quality compared to the G37. It's something you give up when you care more about performance. Kinda like interior noise level. The Vette has gotten much more civilized with every iteration. The same can't be said for the Porsches or many of the other European cars. The relative civility matched with the performance (especially considering the price) is why the Z06 is routinely at the top of the sports car shootouts in C&D and R&T and they state exactly that every time. The only gripe I've heard on the '08s is the quality of the seats. Get a set of custom upholstered Recaros and call it good. Until he Cayman gets some balls or Ferrari makes a car that goes for less than $100k, the Vette is going to continue to be the best bang for the buck performance car out there. I'd still buy an Exige but that's just me, I don't care about top speed or ride quality.

I wouldn't say that a Ferrari or any other car with a tight tuned suspension drives anything other than "rough" on the road. Ride comfort wasn't exactly on the list of considerations. The M- cars don't exactly ride well and they're touring cars. Even the 335ci got bad marks on ride quality compared to the G37. It's something you give up when you care more about performance. Kinda like interior noise level. The Vette has gotten much more civilized with every iteration. The same can't be said for the Porsches or many of the other European cars. The relative civility matched with the performance (especially considering the price) is why the Z06 is routinely at the top of the sports car shootouts in C&D and R&T and they state exactly that every time. The only gripe I've heard on the '08s is the quality of the seats. Get a set of custom upholstered Recaros and call it good. Until he Cayman gets some balls or Ferrari makes a car that goes for less than $100k, the Vette is going to continue to be the best bang for the buck performance car out there. I'd still buy an Exige but that's just me, I don't care about top speed or ride quality.

well said. i've even see shootouts where at the end, everyone wanted the keys to the vette to drive home due to the fact it coudl keep up with the exotics but return a better ride, cruise control and cup holders (i remember that from a c&d shootout)

i guess if chevy were to step out from what the corvette was intended to be (exactly what it is, a sportscar for everyone), then they could indeed take that sweet ass motor and drivetrain, remove even more deadning, tune the suspension to the point it hurts, shave a few more pounds by using kevlar/cf everywhere and add another $50k to the price tag and it would get more respect.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yes the rally cars can do it all. Considering their price points they are far from exotic, but to drive daily they are awesome toys and so capable. And there are plenty of mods available for them.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the STi and the Evo? They are import tuner cars, and hardly resemble a rally car. I wouldn't even go fire road running on one. The suspension couldn't handle it. They are kinda quick, and handle OK. That's about it.

Yes. I can't think of hardly anything I would buy in a vehicle to go fire road running. The best I have run was a Cherokee, other domestics were not good though the Grand Cherokee was not bad. But for a reasonable little car that can do near anything (obviously on-road), they can't be beat in the snow belt. I'll race any fwd/rwd sports car in the snow...lol, and trash them using every other gear. Like I said, for the price.

I think you misunderstood my "rides like a truck" to mean rough, not at all what I was saying. Driver feedback, road feel, balance & response is how the Corvette reminds me of a truck. Adding some of the bone jarring lack of suspension to do what you need it to and it would also be rought, but like a truck without feeling the benefit. I feel disengaged driving a corvette compared to many other true drivers cars. I won't argue their prowess or capability, just in how they go about doing it...just doesn't work for me.

I test drove the new 2008 CTS the other day and all I can say is wow. After driving a Older CTS, current model STS, and older model STS, this the best car ive ever driven that said Cadillac on it. They finally made a "complete kick ass" car.

I'm going to push real hard to get one of those in my driveway. In that color, too.

With the new GtR coming state side, the vette is in trouble.

Maybe. But since no one has driven the GTR yet, it's hard to say. They're also saying that it will start at over $80k. Power numbers are similar but I'll guess that the Vette is gonna weigh less and will definitely have less rotating mass because of the all-wheel drive.

I hear what you're saying about the vette feeling a bit vague, but the fact still remains that its easy for the average driver to drive fast and the lack of feel doesn't keep a good driver from driving it really fast. It doesn't get scary when driven hard like the ass is going to pass the front but it still will let you tighten the line by powering up. It's not a pure driver's car and in light of that it really is pretty impressive that it places ahead of more raw feeling cars time and again in pretty much every comparison, both objectively and subjectively.

the vette isn't a pure driver's car by design. it's a car for the masses and those masses aren't all drivers, so to speak. yeah, that might make it feel vague to some, but feel completely in control to others. it is quite literally designed to run with the best and be in everyone's garage. and that is what keeps it from true supercar status, even though it'll run with each and every car labeled "supercar" for the most part. and there is nothing in it's pricerange that can do all the things it can do and do them as well or as a complete package. the porsche is the closest, adn to be honest, would be my second choice easily.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the Challenger is supposed to come out in '08, right? I'm not expecting anything real special from Chrysler in the reliability department, but the car is gorgeous

other than that and the LS3 coming out, not much in new car world excites me

febuary 8,2008 is the trget date

Maybe. But since no one has driven the GTR yet, it's hard to say. They're also saying that it will start at over $80k. Power numbers are similar but I'll guess that the Vette is gonna weigh less and will definitely have less rotating mass because of the all-wheel drive.

I hear what you're saying about the vette feeling a bit vague, but the fact still remains that its easy for the average driver to drive fast and the lack of feel doesn't keep a good driver from driving it really fast. It doesn't get scary when driven hard like the ass is going to pass the front but it still will let you tighten the line by powering up. It's not a pure driver's car and in light of that it really is pretty impressive that it places ahead of more raw feeling cars time and again in pretty much every comparison, both objectively and subjectively.

I got to test drive one while my friend had a supercharger put in his 'lade, and the f'ed up the job, so they loaned him the vette.

I would challenge that the vette is easy for anyone to drive. I drove the model prior to the z06, and I would take my Late model Jetta mkIII any day. I could feel and respond faster, and in a side by side I was off the line just a hair better with only wider large wheels and air intake. Now after oh say 3 feet, the vette would blow past and I would eat smoke, but this is a 10ish year older car and maybe 1/4th the price. Chev should cry about how they built that car. The interior was designed so claustrophobic(sp), but I didn't feel like I was in tune with the vehicle at all for all that cramped space. It's odd I felt more at home and comfortable in a TT a denan M3 and S4 than in this Big Icon of go fast when I am 6'2 and at the time 270 bills. It came down to how the car works with you.

When ever I even see a vette it looks like a camaro that came out of the trailor park and put on a nice outfit instead of. I almost expect a gun rack. Don't take that as a burn, I think they can be tuned to be amazing wonderfull machines, and with just a bit of kit they can look better than some exotics... I just don't think with lambo and aston making cars at the under 100K Chev could step it up.

Classicaly I love the old stingray styles, maybe the sexiest american vehicle ever made with the exception of some no longer in the biz companies.

Any way this is about '08 I am all over the Nissan, err infinity GTR.

I am a huge fan of the chrystler 300 series, but they are not what they COULD be. I'm honestly more interested in the big truck market and the new tech comming out from that comunity.

As for Porsche I <3 them. Every one I have ever rode in or drove is like sexy on wheeles.

That GTR is expensive, but with a little work it can make huge HP and leave most cars in the dust. 750HP is easy in that car for the street. They can get around double that, pretty capable engine. Funny comparing that to say Honda's last 'supercar' with a wimpy V6.