Sign in to follow this  
///M5

18" BTL on fast-bass rock

I swear I didn't see the two pairs of components coming...

Wow, you guys love to jump to conclusions...its so awesome and not annoying at all. Because thats exactly what im building n all...a sound quality car (if you cant tell...i didnt mean that...this isnt a sound quality car) and im just so concerned about cancellation and doing everything picture-perfect to sound its absolute best. Did you ever stop and think to yourself 'hmm, maybe his setup is going to be nothing like what I want in a setup'?...because alot of this will be specifically just for show...not just to sound good, but to look good aswell.

Edited by YAINT-BMPIN

OK let me clear the air here a little... Im glad I went home early for paper work before this gets out of hand...

Let me start by saying that I dont have to download Reign in Blood... I have it on a few different discs and versions :) . This forum is VERY knowledgeable and normally doesnt come off in a bad way either. I believe that people are trying to give you solid advice, so please dont take it the wrong way. They will gladly teach if you listen and take it for what it is. You have two VERY knowledgeable people on this post that will tell you exactly what you need to know.

But, from my side of things Ill start by asking, what do you currently have as far as products? Ill try to work with what you have before you buy things you might not need.

I wouldnt do two sets of differnt sized components up front. I would do a very solid midbass up front as this is where a good portion of the double kicks will come into play (not from the sub). Do you have a specific budget to work with?

There is no reason that a single BTL18 with a VERY stout midbass upfront cant get you what you are looking for. I have all the other drivers of Fi and Ascendant that I could recommend, but I dont see a major conflict with your current choice if you have the front stage to take care of things correctly.

So for my sake, please give me a run down (as the rest of this post has gotten somewhat confusing with the sarcasm...lol) of your system goals. To me it seems you are looking for a solid SQ setup that can rock very hard and loud? Correct me if Im wrong...

Thanks,

Scott

First-off, i really didnt explain much very well and i was having a not-so-good day as it was and i kinda just fueled the fire and accomplished nothing....time to start over.

Anyways, my goals of my setup, etc etc.

1) I have almost all equipment thats going into the car already (minus some wiring, distribution blocks, etc.) which includes *takes deep breathe*

-HU:Pioneer 7700

-Front mids/highs:1 pair Pioneer TS-C130R's and 2 pair Pioneer TS-C160R's

-Mids/highs amps:(2) Pioneer GM-6300F's (almost kicked myself for not getting the new Premier 4-channels)

-Rear mids/highs:1 pair Pioneer TS-C130R's

-Also upfront:(1) 8" Premier shallow-mount

-Rear (center of rear deck): (1) 8" Premier shallow-mount

-8" subs amp: Pioneer GM-7300 (might be going with the Premier-line mono amp, but may be a tad too much power for them)

-Subs and sub amp(s): 18" Fi BTL with all the bells n whistles and still not sure on what im going for amp-wise for the 18"..(any suggestions?)

and im actually thinking about moving the 10's into the basements setup...not sure

And im in the process and almost done with a fiberglass dash that will house the front 8", pair of 6.5"s, pair of 5.25"s, and a pair of tweeters. (Another pair of 6.5"s in the door/stock locations)

Again, this is almopst totally for show and not meant to be a sound quality car...even tho i do enjoy myself some sound quality...im going for more of a bam in-your-face-speakers deal.

The dash will be painted and finished the same as exterior (dark green). Ill get you guys some pics uploaded here soon to check it out. But yea, thats whats goin on.

And I will also be fiberglassing the rear deck after i finish with the dash in the same manor but with only a single pair of 5.25's and the 8" in the middle...then move onto moving the 2 4-channel amps into the front doors (one in each door), fiberglassing them as well with some possible suede inserts.

*another breathe*...theeEEeeen, I may look into the possibility of moving any remaining small amps into the interior somewhere (possibly headliner/rear doors in the same manor as the front) along with more fiberglassing and possible sueded parts aswell.

and just a side-note, ive seen alot and heard a couple cars with different sized speakers upfront and it sounded phenominal (not diff drivers in a 3 or 4-way component set...individual component sets that were diff sizes)...and i was just reading car audio mag and came across (check it out if you get this mag...it was the last issue that came out [DIY issue with the sony amps on the front cover]) a jeep with all pioneer equipment in it, and if you look at the doors and read the description...they hav a pair of 5.25's and a pair of 6.5's upfront, and im just taking a guess, but im guessing that sounds fantastic.

But anyways, im pretty much certain im going with the equipment that ive listed (but as stated...i may swing with one/two of the amps in one direction or the other and change) and ill get those pics up...you can load pics from photobucket here right?

Heres some pics of what we're dealing with

The components

DSCN0143.jpg

Old positioning to give an idea (they wont be positioned like this...Id havta remove the windshield to do it...doesnt sound like too much fun, haha)

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0148.jpg

DSCN0150.jpg

The dash, still need perfections, but its coming along

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

With vents cut out and more perfections smoothed

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

Enclosure getting ready (may make other ones now that im planning on diff positioning..dunno)

DSCN0179.jpg

And the beast its all goin in....still in FANTASTIC condition 151,000 miles 1997 SL2 Paint looks better then most 3 year old cars...I wax it 4-6 times a year...all brand new suspension, brakes, radiator, hoses, cat convertor...pretty much a brand new car and i can seriously say i love to drive it.

Frshnclean.jpg

And thats bout it. Peace

what... wait.... all of this is going into a almost 11 year old saturn....? dude your stereo will cost 5 times your car's value.... why?

Because its my car...and its gotta good 100,000 left in it (my friends is same year but has 275,000 and doesnt take care of it)...not gunna get a new car just because it doesnt fit the audio image...but honestly, these cars are the easiest to do this stuff to, you can take the whole interior apart with simple tools in no time at all

And its not like its a clunker...pretty much as good of a condition it can be in

and once it does die (which i will driving this till it dies)...*moves equipment over to new car*

Edited by YAINT-BMPIN

On a positive note, sound wise I wouldnt know, but that is gonna look like a pimp system to the eye. Good luck and hope it all works for ya.

i too listen to heavy music.. double bass...

yes you can mix speaker sizes and get a good result !!

i have herd it done before and it was totaly amazing...

it was 2 -18's sealed

8- 10's sealed..

8' in the doors

5 1/4's' plus tweetes ect..center channel...

it was like a five way crossover all active..

how do you think they do it in live concert sound???

i know a car has differnt acoustics... bla.. bla ..bla..

i do have a recording engineering dagree so i know alittle....

i say go for it...!!!

Edited by liljohn

what... wait.... all of this is going into a almost 11 year old saturn....? dude your stereo will cost 5 times your car's value.... why?

Some of the best sounding cars I've been in have stereos worth more than the vehicle :)

I can see how you got defensive considering that you have bought all of your gear already. It also looks like you have the chops in the fab work portion to put it together, but perhaps starting the thread and outlining all of that first would have really helped. It wouldn't make us agree with what you are doing, but surely understand the question better. Most people who would ask that question know less than you do, but still you could have greatly benefited from some "consulting" before purchase. You have a burp only sub, mixed with a hell of a lot of drivers and it isn't going to be easy to get any sort of coherent anything out of it as a system. It has the potential to be loud though of course and will most definitely give you the look of speakers in your face.

Yea, I was pretty positive that the sub wouldnt exactly do too well with that type of music. But yea, should be much more thorrow in my future threads. But ill be sure to post finished pics of this whole thing when its done (itll be quite a while though...like the end of next summer...im working at a snails-pace with the schedule im working with right now, almost never touching the dash...its starting to tick me off really...and even more so when i see all the equipment Ive had all summer just sitting there still with nowhere to be put yet, ugh)

But guys, ive been looking around and have found a couple...but any suggestions on a nice amp for the BTL?...im thinking around 2500-3000w and about $900 max (less would def be acceptable, haha). And also any cheap spots for some good 0-gauge? Thanks in advance

Do you have the dual 1 or dual 2? I have a Kicker 2500.1 on my dual 1. I'm using knukonceptz 0ga wire. $1.75 a foot if you get their cheapest wire.

Edited by slim8605

Sign in to follow this