Sign in to follow this  
tez4life

Mach5Audio MLI-65?

I have seriously been thinking about doing a DIY comp set and I remember looking at these a while ago. Since you guys have infinite more knowledge than me ;) , can you point me in the right direction as far as a good matching tweeter for it? Planning on going active with a Sundown 100.4, but im not sure what tweeter to match with it. I saw the review of it months ago on here and it looked solid for my needs, just wanted a few opinions.

The tweeters I have heard before include the mainstream stuff (Infinity Reference, Pioneer, Kenwood, Polk Audio, Kicker, etc...) Im not looking for SPL, more like SQ but with good output, (have to be able to keep up with a pair of 15s Ported).

Any input or push in the right direction is greatly apperciated, thanks!

Can you fit a large format tweeter? Either way what are the mounting options?

By large format, I mean something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=275-130

That shouldnt be a problem, its going to be flush mounted in the top of my doors, and their is alot of area up there. Im trying to find something that will blend well with the MLI 65, money is limited but I perfer to and will invest in quality products.

annnd, what active crossover do you plan on using? The onboard on the Sundown or other?

Sorry should have specified, the onboard of the Sundown.

Where are the mli's going? I'd definitely recommend a large format if it will fit and one with a very low Fs. Do you have a metal/textile preference?

Where are the mli's going? I'd definitely recommend a large format if it will fit and one with a very low Fs. Do you have a metal/textile preference?

It going in my 04 Ford Crown Vic. The car has a crappy stock speaker location high in the door, which has plenty of room, but that spot has poor left/right balance and has a bias depending on what side your on.

I would like to mount them lower on the door, or even kicks, but the spot where the stock speaker was would be perfect for that large format tweeter you mention.

As far as a preference, not really. Ive always enjoyed the smoothness of fabric type tweeters (silk, etc...) but I also enjoy the bite of a nice metal tweeter. I have a Audiocontrol Four1 for minor EQing if need be.

Would the Dayton that you used as a example be a good pick?

For you probably, that is why I threw it up there. It is a great value but a bit more lively than most silk drivers which I thought you might lean towards.

I am going to be doing a similar set up for a bed room stereo here soon.

The mli's extend quite easily to 3k on axis, so don't try to make your tweeters extend too low. That's how people blow tweeters. The absolute lowest I would use those tweeters is 2500Hz @ -18dB.