SilviaVsSupra

whats powering your front stage?

well im getting ready to purchase all my front stage equipment, SLS-8's and probably CDT gold 4" 2ways.

the question is, if i decide to go with raw drivers for mids and high like the Auras or Seas, which are about all 8ohm, whats the best way to get some decent power to them?

i understand that 100watts to these is about sufficient, but i know of competitors pushing 800watts to each driver!

so whats your front stage/amp setup?

and any reccomendations would be wonderful

Using a PDX4.100 on my SLS8 midbass (8ohm) & Aurasound NS-3 midrange (4 ohm) & a shitty Sony amp (50x2) on the Xt19 tweeters.

8 ohm vs. 4 ohm doesn't make a difference due to the efficiency of the driver (since almost all drivers are rated @ 2.83V not 1W/1m). Read the efficiency article in the Technical section by ///M5.

I don't ever see a need for more power, as ///M5 can attest to what my system sounded like.

Just treat them like any automotive driver and you will be fine.

In my car I have a whopping 55wx4 (@4) running to some 8ohm mids and they still get down and boogie. In the truck they are getting 150wx4 (@4) and are a step better, but either way you don't need anymore than you would with a 4ohm driver. In fact regularly less and you will be fine.

note: I purposely didn't make up any 8 ohm numbers

Headroom, which is never a bad thing. They are a bit compulsive as well and it really isn't necessary.

so how about these

zx550.2 (275x2 @2ohm i believe) for the 8's

zx650.4 (170x$ @2ohm) for mids and tweet, which im considering the Aura 3" and maybe a Seas tweet

Sundown SAX-100.4 right now :)

One of these days I'll have 3x SAX-250.2s on the fronts... once those hit production.

JBL GTO75.4

The gains are set to around 60-70 watts though.

One of these days I'll have 3x SAX-250.2s on the fronts... once those hit production.

Me too :)

But in my explorer ZEd built US Acoustics 2075, 300ce Orion 8004, civic RF 250a2 and 125a2.

heres the setup that should be right

sls8 - zx850.2

NS3 & NSW1 - zx850.4

it was hard to find power ratings of these speakers, so im sure il have plenty of "headroom" but would a different kicker amp setup be preferred?

The ZX's aren't bad, for a new production amp.

got a usamps ax5600. cranked the gain until the clipping led started to blink on my eq lol seems to work great. but yea head room rules.

I've ran from about 50W to well over 200W to my mids. With the polys (4ohm) i'm fine with 50W @4ohm and could actually be fine with less. With the seas (8ohm) i'd be fine with half the power, actually in a direct swap the seas were much louder than the polys.

id like to stay rather uniform, car will be through show and competition, ive never had a problem with kicker, while if i was a dealer for alpine, that list would be quite different, but i do have this horrible thing called a budget, and zapcos and alpines dont fit =/

but power output wise toward that setup of speakers, is it too much overkill? or is it just enough "headroom" =D

Couple of coked up hamsters running on wheels powers mine... :werd_msword:

Well Im going to run 8 Eminence Alpha 6s on a SAX 100.4. They are all 8 ohm, so the amp will be running 100x4 @ 4 ohm, giving each speaker about 50rms. Even though they are rated at 100rms Id think thats enough to get em loud.

I imagine it depends a lot on the operator too, many SQ setups may have lots of wattage but they don't try to max it out (yeah, obvious point doh). I do just to find out where I can go, sometimes I run it close and other systems with more power I don't have to. I have an ancient 30x2wrms alpine I have used in a few cars that puts out nice if you don't ask it to make a lot of bass, it will go loud for SQ especially at 2ohms where it has more power than that....and it sounds really nice. I've used a lot of 2x50-75wrms amps in high sides, a good one usually does it for me as far as volume and mid bass output. Some larger amps are so big (for show), don't like that as far as install and IMO a good amp that is big enough is no different than a larger one. If it does not sound right then it is the wrong app for that amp or that amp sucks. I have an old blaupunkt that sounds real weak in bass at full range, but it slams on IB subs like nothing else its size....go figure. So, I'm not a huge fan of perfectly transparent amps. Cars sound nasty to start with, and I also like to do my systems with the least EQ I can. I change drivers and amps to get it close. One of these days I'll get a good HU with the toys and make my life easier.

I have a kicker 700.5 I am trying to make work right now. The sub part seems to hammer but I am having issues with the high side. Don't know if it is power supply or the drivers or amp, going to work on it soon as I can find time. It works, just not like I think it should.

well i ordered all kicker equipment.. a few runs of 1/0g, distros, terminals, zx850.4 and zx850.2

now i need to find 1 or 2 nice small batteries and isolator to run with my optima.. probably get the stingers..

Interesting. i might end up running a 800 or 850.2 to my mids, and i'm not sure what to the tweets. Still dont have any of that figured out :(

Any updates on when this will be??