bld 25

What size boxes have you tried for a 12 RL-P?

hey, i have asked mike for help multiple times, and his customer service is top notch. I wanted to see what others were doing with their 12 rl-p's as far as box size and tuning.

My first box was around 1.6 at 33, and it hit hard, was fairly linear, and went pretty low. It didn't have as much port area as needed, and so i built a new box.

New box is 1.9 net ported at 29.5 hz with 26 sq. in. of port area. This box hits very low, and is very clean, but i lost what seems to be a 30-40hz range of any impactful bass from say 80hz down to 50 or so. It isn't hitting many of the notes it used to in the other box, but when it gets low, it shakes the whole car.

So, low is great, but most songs don't dip that low.

My question, is can i go somewhere between the two listed box sizes and port frequencies listed on the website (1.5 @34, and 2.0 at 28), and do 1.7 at 32? Would that have a little of both of these?

Anyway, let me know if you have had similar or different results. i am really trying to get the best out of this awesome driver.

thanks!

1.7 @ 32 sounds pretty good. running the middle ground between mike's recomendations should get you pretty close to where you want to be.

personally, i loved my rl-p in 1.25 net sealed, but it sure got down in several ported affairs.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have done 2ft^3 @ 28Hz... but that is definitely not for everyone. While the response is very smooth & it gets very low with authority, most people prefer a higher tune (32-35Hz).

I have done 1.5 @ 34, 1.1 sealed, and 2.0 @ 27. I preferred the 2.0 ported.

thanks guys. Denim, did you experience the same characteristics that i noted?

keep the opinions coming!

thanks guys. Denim, did you experience the same characteristics that i noted?

keep the opinions coming!

Not that I remember, but I would have to get the sub back out and put it back in that box.

Upper bass is the job of the midbasses, period.

I heard it in a 28Hz ported and sealed environments...neither really sounded like it was keeping the woofer from doing what it was capable of.

Upper bass is the job of the midbasses, period.

I heard it in a 28Hz ported and sealed environments...neither really sounded like it was keeping the woofer from doing what it was capable of.

Should my midbass speakers have to dip down to 55hz though?

ive tried 2 cubes sealed, 2 cubes tuned to 30 hz (too little port area), and 1.6 cubes tuned to 32 hz (too little port area) i like 1.6 to 32 the best

ive tried 2 cubes sealed, 2 cubes tuned to 30 hz (too little port area), and 1.6 cubes tuned to 32 hz (too little port area) i like 1.6 to 32 the best

yeah, i might try 1.75 at 32 or so, and see how that works. Its just about 12 bucks to build a box, so it is worth a try!

yeah, i might try 1.75 at 32 or so, and see how that works. Its just about 12 bucks to build a box, so it is worth a try!

What is optimum port area for single 12 in 1.6 cubes tuned to 32

What is optimum port area for single 12 in 1.6 cubes tuned to 32

website says 20sq in.

Also, is the displacement of the woofer around .2? So i should build an enclosure .2 larger than what the specs say. Ex. if i want 1.75 net, i should plan for 1.95 after port area and then subtract the .20 for woofer displacement?

jeez where do you buy your wood?

for the port area, i have 24" on mine, and its still noisy....maybe its the way i designed it. anyways i'm rebuilding the box once again so i wont have any port noise...usin moe lester's free designs on the place in which we do not speak.

Also, is the displacement of the woofer around .2? So i should build an enclosure .2 larger than what the specs say. Ex. if i want 1.75 net, i should plan for 1.95 after port area and then subtract the .20 for woofer displacement?

si. si.

I run my two 12s @ 3 cubes net sealed. around 1.5 each and they loovvee ittt. I get dangerous lows with the MD2 down almost low as it goes and my HU on -11 db on the HU output. :D