///M5

Removable baffle gasket material

I need to build a new test enclosure and in the process prefer to use a removable baffle. In the past I have used something like this:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=768

I am also curious if anyone has any specific implementation recommendations on bolt spacing, overlap of the gasket, better gasket materials, and so on.

How often do you plan on removing it? I don't like gasket tape as it tends to deteriorate over many uses and conform to certain shapes and remain that way. I personally would use rope caulk and just replace it every time you remove and replace the baffle. That way you are guaranteed a seal.

Every removable one I have made in the past I have never removed, but I have different plans for this one. Be busy for a while and then not much.

I'm not totally sure that tape gasket would work well over several attachments and removals unless you replace it every couple of times. Don't know what material would work just as well, though.

how about second skin overkill... or mayber the thicker overkill pro... i used it to keep my box from ripping up my sound dapening (it messed it up pretty bad the first time) anyway it held up like a champ under the weight of the box, 4 8g wires, and a 15 (mt and XXX) but i had the stock carpet over it if that matters (it was pretty thin because it had a hard backing to it i ripped off)

how about second skin overkill... or mayber the thicker overkill pro... i used it to keep my box from ripping up my sound dapening (it messed it up pretty bad the first time) anyway it held up like a champ under the weight of the box, 4 8g wires, and a 15 (mt and XXX) but i had the stock carpet over it if that matters (it was pretty thin because it had a hard backing to it i ripped off)

While you misunderstood the "removable baffle" portion of the question, the idea I like that I developed out of your reply. There is a goop like butyl rubber that comes in a big lace form that companies with anechoic chambers use to seal off the chamber holes (for wires and such). While real messy it would work well here. Sort of the same technique that you use for sealing a toilet. You squish it down until you have a uniform filling layer. Now if there was something similar that wasn't messy I'd be real happy.

During my basshead days, when I was making switchable ports. I would use a large bead of this as a gasket . http://www.stickwithpl.com/products/detail...?PLProductID=21 It is very strong , has good adhesion to wood, and remains permanently flexible. I would lay a side by side bead completely around the opening, then let it fully cure, Presto instant durable gasket of any size every time. :)

I have used this foam weatherstrip but its not the gray stuff. It is black and is for double hung windows to seal the sill. It does not stick after long contact like the other stuff will (the non-sticky side will stick to paint). It does flatten out after a while but not all the way. Got it at Menards, something like 3/4x3/16 and it is heavier than the gray foam more like rubber.

Also use to use epdm rubber gasketing quite often , it worked rather well. :)

edit something like this maybe

http://heating-and-cooling.hardwarestore.c...ing-285593.aspx

Thank you ramos, I know I'm digging up old posts, but the two posts should be enough for me to build a removable front baffle for my neon infinite baffle project, so that I can test various sized woofers in infinite baffle.