Sign in to follow this  
Adrian_D

tweeter upgrades and IB question

i scraped the spherical speaker idea and that means i need a large format tweeter :D

what i have now is a pair of ca18rnx's and a pair of cheap-arse tweeters. i'm looking to upgrade the tweeters and i need some advice since i don't know what to choose. budget : $100 for the pair. i'm just looking for something laid back and not harsh.

EDIT : budget is $150

and the IB question. we just finished building a garage and it's adjacent (sp?) to one of the walls in my room. that means i could attempt an IB subwoofer. only trouble is the garage isn't insulated and there is quite a temperature diffrence during winter : -5*C in the garage and about 20*C in the room. would this diffrence render my idea useless ?

the motor in the garage seems problematic since the coil can get warm during play...

Either the '29s or the '30s...ask him. I know they make one in that price range.

With that budget, I'm thinking Peerless HDS (810921), Vifa XT25, Seas 29TFFW or Seas 27TBFCG.

right now i'm trying to decide between the peerles, seas 29TFFW, vifa xt25 and morel mdt-29.

Zaph audio has some very nice things to say about the peerles. i think i may just pick that :)

any ideas on the ib question ?

would it work to have such a temperature diffrence on the sides of the speaker ?

In that price range I really like the HDS.

settled then. HDS :D

i'm not sure what i'm going to do crossover - wise tho.

You *could* get away with a pretty shallow roll off on the crossover using the HDS, since it can play quite low, especially since you are mating them with the CA's, which have great midrange ability & do not exhibit cone breakup like its metal cone cousins.

So, you could possibly cross them at 4k @ -6dB, with a simple capacitor on the tweeter & ~2-2.5k @ -6dB with an inductor on the CA. of course, this would need to be tweaked by some critical listening to get right.

As for the IB question, I don't believe it should be that much of a problem. Maybe build the baffle in the garage, with the subwoofer firing into your room, with an insulation barrier between them (the room & the subwoofer). Could make a "wall" using fabric & stuff the "wall" with insulation. You shouldn't experience any low end output loss, keep condensation to a minimum and you won't introduce a leak into your room for cold air to get in during the colder months either.

right now all i have as far as crossovers go is a capacitor on the tweeter. the ca18's play full-range.

i was thinking about the crossover because if i decide to build something elaborate i could order the parts at the same time as the tweeters so i can save on shipping. but i don't think it would be a good idea since testing various components in the crossover appears important :)

ib topic : basically have the subwoofer at lower temperature compared to the room temperature ? my house has thick walls...about 35-40cm (that's how they used to build them) and i could mount the baffle in the garage side with the woofer firing there so the motor will be inside the wall.

I was alluding to that you might want a thermal barrier between the garage & your room, due to the colder temperatures during the winter months.

I did figure the walls were really thick lol. Europeans build their houses to last, unlike us foolish friends in North America :)