subwoofery

Single and Dual Voice Coil

Hi Guyz,

Not sure if I'm in the right section...

Firstly, please don't flame me on this one... Just trying new things.

Let's say I will use a Maxxbass 103 processor that adds upper harmonics to the sound, making a component sounds like it is playing deeper due to the psychoacoustical effect.

I have also read that it actually decreases (on some frequencies) the Xmax by 4.

The component I'd like to use in that example is the RL-i8

Here is my question:

Due to having the Xmax decreased, will that mean the component can handle more power

1/ for not reaching maximum excursion with the power applied

2/ for having a dual voice coil instead of one - that might sound stupid for some of you but I do not know how a sub is made.

RMS on the RL-i8 is 500 for the D4 and the S4, but thermally, can the D4 handle twice the power the S4 can???

I'm clueless.

Thanks for the input

I don't understand the use of the processor in the first place, it won't help anything.

Heh :P

I don't know I think that it would be fun to play with something I never played with.

If I don't like it, I am sure I can find someone to buy it from me.

In my country, people are so into "new stuffs".

Same goes for me I guess :glare:

If you add upper harmonics to a sub, that would not give you deeper sounding bass. Maybe this would be good for a midrange or tweet but not for a sub. Maybe I read the thread wrong. :drink40:

And by definition pretty much playing harmonics of the fundamental is adding distortion.

That is what I feared lol :P

Made the thread about the dual / single voice coil's power handling but it goes as if it was a Maxxbass thread...

I'd like to understand what is behind dual voice coil besides giving the user more wiring configurations.

In the RL-i8, if the thermal limit is for example 700w in the S4 version, can each voice coil in the D4 version handle 700w thermally?

For those who want to understand the psychoacoustic concept:

http://www.wavescaraudio.com/htmls/maxxbass.htm

http://www.wavescaraudio.com/htmls/carAudioJune01.htm

www.maxx.com/objects/MaxxBassAESPaper.pdf (indepth with graphs)

In the RL-i8, if the thermal limit is for example 700w in the S4 version, can each voice coil in the D4 version handle 700w thermally?

T/S parameters are usually given with coils either paralleled or series'd, so no. Using one voice coil would cut power handling in half.

Just a quick question, when talking about a dual voice coil subwoofer, that does not mean that there is 2 coils pushing the cone of the subwoofer, correct?

Therefore, a dual voice coil and a single voice coil have both one coil pushing the cone.

The difference is that dual will have two "forces" applying energy to the coil (at both extremities) versus single which only have one "force" applying energy to the coil (on one end).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to understand the basic knowledge.

Actually there are two coils. You can apply energy through either one of them and when you do they move through the magnetic field of the driver. Of course you could apply voltage to either one and have a response. In reality you should always make sure that they are completely balanced or just use one if you want a different response from your driver.

As for the psychoacoutics of that processor, it is a joke and not applicable to subs anyways. It is meant to allow small speakers play perceived frequencies that they just cannot do. A mildly trained ear however will expose it easily as it is really something geared towards tone deaf people who have no interest in music.

at the shop i worked at, we sold the maxxibass by the handful. and it did as sadvertised. it made people think their shit was dropping lower then it was, with what little power they had. HOWEVER, it also caused nothing but issues as now those exact same people decided to turn it up even louder, or add more power, or both and we had blown subs coming out of our asses.

long story short, the maxxibass isn't much more then a glorified bass boost and should be avoided at all costs.

just my $.02, based upon my experience with them.

and the dual coil thing is handled pretty well, so i'll leave that alone.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Dunno what to say, but the Maxxbass system does work and is not like bass boost at all. Where bass boost electronically boosts the signal in a given bandwidth with a specific Q, the Maxxbass system adds upper order harmonics to simulate a fundamental frequency that does not exist....these are two totally different concepts. The idea of a "missing fundamental" is not one that applies to those with poorly trained ears...it is an inborn psychoacoustic effect that varies from person to person.

Dunno what to say, but the Maxxbass system does work and is not like bass boost at all. Where bass boost electronically boosts the signal in a given bandwidth with a specific Q, the Maxxbass system adds upper order harmonics to simulate a fundamental frequency that does not exist....these are two totally different concepts. The idea of a "missing fundamental" is not one that applies to those with poorly trained ears...it is an inborn psychoacoustic effect that varies from person to person.

i understand what you're saying and i should clarify my comment.

in most cases, IME, people use the maxxbass like a bass boost, and eventually destroy stuff because they like the results and want more. so they add more power, they add more volume knob. and i've not seen anyone use a maxxbass on what it was intended for, small speakers incapable of reproducing the lowend people want. instead, they were put on higher tuned, or sealed, low power sub applications. and that just led to trouble.

i agree, they work. but i've only seen them used as a "bass boost"

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

it is an inborn psychoacoustic effect that varies from person to person.

Every demo I have heard of it bothered me and I still consider it a joke. A complete bandaid where using a proper alignment and installation technique will yield much better results.

it is an inborn psychoacoustic effect that varies from person to person.

Every demo I have heard of it bothered me and I still consider it a joke. A complete bandaid where using a proper alignment and installation technique will yield much better results.

but in some applications, can't be built. yep, it's a bandaid, and while i agree that i would never use one, it does has it's purpose and does as advertised. you, having the finely tuned ears you do, being who you are, would indeed build to get what you want. other's aren't that patient, or have the expertise you do. and most don't have your ears.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: