BKOLFO4

The wall has a new look. . .

nice job, looks good.

i want a wall.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Been a few days, but here is what I think:

The BTL's sound pretty much the same as the MT's, but the BTL's are a little stronger down low. I like the fact that they still kick up in the higher bass frequencies like the MT's do.

Now I know there will be haters on this (I had countless PM's stating I was making a mistake going from MT's to BTL's), but on the meter, the MT's were louder (by 1 dB on a burp, and 0.7 dB playing music), but I was running each MT on a strapped pair of MD3D's at 1 ohm (before impedance rise), so they should have been doing around 4000 watts even after impedance rise. I am running each BTL on a IA 40.1 at 1 ohm (before impedance rise), so with rise, I doubt I am getting 4000 watts to each BTL. In the next couple of weeks I will rewire the 40.1's so they are strapped at 0.5 to see what kind of numbers I get. I will post results when I get around to trying it. The way my amps are mounted, changing speaker wires around is a pain. I think I am going to build a speaker wire connection plate to make it easy to change tham when I want to burp.

For music (to the ear), the BTLs sound louder due to the increased lower frequency output. The three people who ride the most in my vehicle all commented that the low frequency was noticably louder without me saying anything to them about the meter results.

And the best part (the main reason I made the switch), amps and subs will pound out music for long periods of time without straining anything. . . .MT's after 30 seconds were hot and had the funny smell to them. The BTLs play at 154-155 dB for long periods of time without any problem. I ran them hard on and off all day Saturday at a show in Frisco (85 degrees outside), and the dustcaps felt warm every now and then, but never really hot like the MT's would get. Of course I have already stated I am running less power to the BTL's, so that is part of it, but to lose less than 1 dB playing music and be able to do it all day long instead of for 30 seconds is worth it to me.

I will also note on the loudness - Scott told me straight up that the BTL's would not meter as loud built with the full cooling and daily options due to the increased air gap and metal machined out of the pole for the cooling channels. . .

If you have ever sat in a car playing music with bass centered from 36 to 40 Hz at 155 dB, you know I still have more than enough output for a daily driver. . . :D

Brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

Wow!! Would love to hear it.

wow...kickass.

Wiring is fast.

Thats good.

Safe too...

Get a clamp going.

Find out how much amperage (and voltage if any) you are losing going through all those mega's.

You may need to either make a larger copper lug to bridge that gap for competition or make whole new peices of wire to hit straight to batter...either way.

Don't forget to add some more ground wire to frame from the bank.

Add more ground to frame from lead battery.

Add more wire from alt to main.

Add more wire from main to bank.

More wire more wire more wire.................

And a zip tie lol......

Wall is sexy......

bank is sexy.....

amp rack is sexy (needs the black bedliner...looks good enough to do it)

You are right about a buss bar to switch your sub wiring..thats what I used...thats what ScottieJ used as well...workes perfect.

All you need is a good LED volt meter that is accurate to keep your eye on whats going on during burps and Pounding.....

Damn fine job bro........you got talent.

I cannot describe a 155+ on music system. My ears were hurting. :P However it slams well it seems to do to do it great on music. I was shocked when you said you could listen like that for an hour straight without damaging equipment. :)

They did seem to have more impact than the MTs did. overall it is great, but too loud for a daily driver for me hehe.

I remember when he demoed me the MTs on the md3s, the dustcaps would get hot, the btls dont seem to break a sweat.

Might want to get screws that actually go down to the basket as well...fine thread wood/drywall screws work fine, your just eating up the gaskets now...

Say what?

Maybe you are talking about the gaskets being messed up where the screw heads went through??

those are #12 steel screws and they are all the way to the basket. I actually hit the drill a little hard and popped the head off one. . .That is why the lower right sub is now twisted clockwise :( The head is just larger than the hole in the gaskets, and it messes them up as they run through, but believe me, they are all the way through. I would have liked to have moved the gasket out of the way and shot the screw in, but it is too hard when installing these subs alone.

I learned my lesson about drywall screws and high powered subs. . . .Popped all the heads off of a blueprint 1803 and it fell out :( funny, first time I emailed Scott, he said he remembered me from way back when I had the 1803's. . . .

brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

Ahhh ok

I understand about putting subs in alone, i've loaded a couple of the old team rf's from way back when :)

You should be able to take them out one at a time now that you have them mounted and pull the gasket back...so you don't see them.

Your call boss :) Post up some video's!!!

sick install! Got any vids yet? Did you take pics of the build? Makes me wanna build a wall again, hehe congrats

You should be able to take them out one at a time now that you have them mounted and pull the gasket back...so you don't see them.

Gasket is back. . . It is just messed up now where the screw went through. . . . :(

Honestly, I almost put them in without the gasket. . .

Finally, a video. I happen to know that this song is playing right at 155 dB with bass centered at 40 Hz. :D

This is Marshall's favorite part of the song. . .

th_MVI_0950.jpg

Edit - And if you notice that was a 1 minute video. Sub dust caps were not even warm at the end of the video.

Brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

so much presure it's makin the bushes shake! :P

sweet vid.

is the setup now with the amps re-wired down to .5 strapped or still like before?

will they be strapped down only for burps or for daily?