j.brungardt

12" SSD options for 1200 watts

I just bought the amplifier that I'll be using for this setup. It's a Crunch PZi1500.1. It puts out 1500 watts rms at 1 ohms. It realistically gets 1300 watts rms at best.

The sub I'm planning on buying is the Fi SSD 12" Dual 2 ohms. If I'm planning on running 1100 to 1200 watts in this sub which options should I have. I do prefer SQ over SPL, but I'd like to run it with as much power as possible. The gain will be turned down for daily use. I just want to have the power there in case I need it.

If it helps I am gonna go with a custom made ported box 2.5 cuft tuned at 33hz. Help from Scott or the other guys that work at Fi would be great.

:thanx:

With that power, why not run a FI Q? Im sure the the SSD could handle the power if your careful, but the Q would, to me, be a better choice.

The Q should be able to handle that easier, and it'll probably sound better doing it.

If SQ is your focus, step up to the Q instead of modding the SSD too much.

If SQ is your focus, step up to the Q instead of modding the SSD too much.

Ok I had to make a different account. The other one's password was messed up. Long story.

I would rather buy a modded SSD than pay the extra $70 for the Q or BL.

I have seen people running stock SSD 12s on 1000 watts before. I just am wondering how much wattage I can pump into it safely with a few upgrades?

Too much power man, if you use your head you'll be ok, but i'm giving you fair warning :).

Thanks!

Joe, I would listen to Nick above. Maybe just wait a few and save up the few dollars extra.

Side note: check your old account, I think I unlocked it this morning. :)

Joe, I would listen to Nick above. Maybe just wait a few and save up the few dollars extra.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Either that or just turn the gain down a lot. I don't want to wire it at 2 ohms because then it probably won't be getting enough power.

With anything that we could do to the SSD to make it deal with the power (flatwind and the BP option) you really still would be lacking in the linearity deparment for SQ behind the standard Q. Not too mention that the specs for the standard Q (Xmax aside) would still be the better bet.

A "loaded" SSD is a daily pounder, not an SQ oriented driver.

Not too mention that an SSD with the flatwind and BP option is now a $249 sub where the standard Q is $259.

Thanks,

Scott