vice24

copper terminals?

I was just wondering if anyone had used copper ring terminals for the ends of their wires when doing the big 3. I got a bunch of them for free but am a little worried about them corroding under the hood.

Also I have read many times that when you do the big three to leave your original alternator wire and run a second line directly to the batt, but the Hi amp alt (165) that I bought says never to use the original just pig tail it and run a new 4 gauge or better wire directly to the battery.

Let me know what you think its for a 1997 jeep cherokee.

I was just wondering if anyone had used copper ring terminals for the ends of their wires when doing the big 3. I got a bunch of them for free but am a little worried about them corroding under the hood.

Also I have read many times that when you do the big three to leave your original alternator wire and run a second line directly to the batt, but the Hi amp alt (165) that I bought says never to use the original just pig tail it and run a new 4 gauge or better wire directly to the battery.

When I did the big 3, I ran all new wire. There is no reason to run it parallel that I can think of. What size wire are you planning on using for the big3? I used all 1/0awg.

I have used copper under the hood and have never had an issue with it.

When I did the big 3, I ran all new wire. There is no reason to run it parallel that I can think of. What size wire are you planning on using for the big3? I used all 1/0awg.

I am using 2 gauge wire. I just thought I should get a second opinion before I did it. My alternator wire in the jeep goes to a big fuse box so I am to sure if I should keep it or not. I guess the only thing I can do is just try it out and see if I have problems.

the reason to keep the stock wiring is that with both wires the total resistance will be less than either wire individually

the reason to keep the stock wiring is that with both wires the total resistance will be less than either wire individually

True, but we are talking a minimal value. I mean, a wire at .01ohms in parallel is .005ohms. Is that gonna make that much of a difference? And, no, I am not being a smart ass. :D

14v X .01 = 13.86v

14v X .005 = 13.93v

Maybe it is an over oversimplification the subject?

True, but we are talking a minimal value. I mean, a wire at .01ohms in parallel is .005ohms. Is that gonna make that much of a difference? And, no, I am not being a smart ass. :D

14v X .01 = 13.86v

14v X .005 = 13.93v

Maybe it is an over oversimplification the subject?

It'd make a difference on a meter.

And why go about the extra work of removing the stock stuff when it actually helps?

It'd make a difference on a meter.

And why go about the extra work of removing the stock stuff when it actually helps?

Good point! looks like I will be leavin it on then. thank for the help.:)

I use copper lugs from Lowes for my big three...after a year there are no problems...look exactly the same as last year...except dirtier

I figure the stock wire is for the car, and I don't want the car using the big stereo wire I put in. I never would take them out unless I had to for some other reason.

imo if he was going for every tenth he wouldn't be using 2 guage wire or a 165 amp alt when they make like 400 for those jeeps, hell i was gonna put a 300+ into my 96 cherokee and i didn't give a chit about the meter. get some 1/0 and pull the stock chit off. it's ugly and has asmall guage on those jeeps anyways and mine had some piece of chit termianls and terrible crimps from the factory. or if you need that tenth that may or may not exist use two runs of 1/0 for extra DBZ, or better straight bus bars. and yes i'm being a smartass

Edited by tommy

i left the OEM and just added a 2 gauge, in my case i had to add, when i tryed to replace it with a 0 gauge it flipped tripples, i donno why i just added, i also used copper on all my 2 gauge and smaller, but i have 2 ott gauge back to my yellow tops in the rear and i used led ends,