Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

nuff said.

Photo
- - - - -

ZAPCO DC REFERENCE

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sonic

sonic

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

These amps are incredible, the output and clarity are just above and beyond any other none Zapco amps that I have used. Plus the DSP processing that is built in makes it really easy to tune the set up just right. I hooked my laptop up to the 360 and was able to tune both amps. The setting included, gain, eq, time delay, crossover setting, output level, input level and actually more than I can remember right now. The coolest part is that i could sit in the drivers seat with my laptop and adjust everything all at once. Instead of having to make countless trips to the trunk. The other great feature with the Zapco amp (not just the DC's) is they have a balance line output called symbilink that keeps radiated noise out of your sound and boost the pre outs up to 18 volts. Giving you a lower noise floor and a boosted signal to amps. If your into SQ these amps will absolutely fit the bill. But as a whole all the Zapco amps that I have used are on a different level than any other amps I have used. including JL Audio slash and e series, Rockford Power series, PPI power class old school( these were pretty close in SQ), xtant, Alpine and a couple others I cant think of right now. The only draw back to these amps are the sub amp is a class ab, while this is great for SQ, it is a bit less efficient than most d class's and heats up pretty quick and consumes quite a bit of power. If you have an questions about these amps I will be happy to try and answer them or Zapco has a really good forum that has actual technicians from there staff answering question. www.zapco.com Hope this doesnt sound too much like a plug, I just really like the products and this company.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by sonic, 11 December 2007 - 02:45 AM.

n2caraudio.com

#2 B5I8

B5I8

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

I run the DC Reference 360.4 and 500.1 and I couldn't agree with you more. They are more expensive per watt but the processing features alone make it worth the extra money.

#3 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 67,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:20 AM

I love them, but really an amp is an amp.

*excluding processing and other useless non-amplifier accessories, an amp needs a gain knob only IMO

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

I was. Super proud I didn't shit my pants. I was sure it was going to happen.

We sit on the same bench. Your "asshole" just makes me curious.

#4 Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

SSAudio Level 16

• Admin

• 42,699 posts
  • Interests:Performance auto's, American Speakers, my family, photography, collector amps, good music, and this place!!
  • Vehicle:Mazda P5 & RX-8

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

I would really love to try one out, if not an SX with DSP.

#5 ragnaroksq

ragnaroksq

BANNED

• BANNED
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Zapco kicks ass!!!!
James Webster

Team Hybrid
Alpine/Hybrid Audio/Arc Audio

I've never understood the utter fascination with a speaker that plays such a tiny portion of the audible frequency spectrum. I wish people were as enthralled with their midbass and midrange speakers as they are with their subwoofers. Andy Jones

#6 ragnaroksq

ragnaroksq

BANNED

• BANNED
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Instead of having to make countless trips to the trunk. The other great feature with the Zapco amp (not just the DC's) is they have a balance line output called symbilink that keeps radiated noise out of your sound and boost the pre outs up to 18 volts. Giving you a lower noise floor and a boosted signal to amps.
Posted Image
Posted Image

16 volts on the pre outs, not 18 :)
James Webster

Team Hybrid
Alpine/Hybrid Audio/Arc Audio

I've never understood the utter fascination with a speaker that plays such a tiny portion of the audible frequency spectrum. I wish people were as enthralled with their midbass and midrange speakers as they are with their subwoofers. Andy Jones

#7 Tirefryr

Tirefryr

Scrawny Honky Productions

• Super Moderators

• 26,744 posts
  • Interests:My son, Cars, women. .

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:50 PM

an amp needs a gain knob only IMO

I am so with you here! Take the shit out of the amp, and put it in one little box. No, they have to complicate shit. IF they were REALLY smart, they'd make symbilink processor that does all of this shit and can work with any Zapco amp, so they'll all have the same features in every class.

A bunch of equipment in a bunch of boxes in the basement.

#8 sonic

sonic

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

I am so with you here! Take the chit out of the amp, and put it in one little box. No, they have to complicate chit. IF they were REALLY smart, they'd make symbilink processor that does all of this chit and can work with any Zapco amp, so they'll all have the same features in every class.

They do have a dsp processor that will run with all the amps. The DC's just keep you from having to buy the extra sh!t. It seems to really simplify the installation. I am able to set it and forget it. Thats why Zapco make 2 sets up reference amps, one for people like you who dont want dsp built in and another for people like me who dont want to put extra stuff in there car if they dont have to. Seems to be a win win from a company who really give a crap about SQ
n2caraudio.com

#9 sonic

sonic

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

*excluding processing and other useless non-amplifier accessories, an amp needs a gain knob only IMO

Your JL amps have almost as many features built in as the Zapco DC's just not digital
n2caraudio.com

#10 B5I8

B5I8

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:02 AM

To you people commenting on what the Zapco's shouldn't have, have you even tried the DC Reference series? If not I suggest you not knock it till you try it. It's got more features than you think.

#11 Tirefryr

Tirefryr

Scrawny Honky Productions

• Super Moderators

• 26,744 posts
  • Interests:My son, Cars, women. .

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

To you people commenting on what the Zapco's shouldn't have, have you even tried the DC Reference series? If not I suggest you not knock it till you try it. It's got more features than you think.

Nobody here has "knocked" anything.

Some of us are simply saying we like the pure side of things. Let the amp amplify and a signal processor process.

A bunch of equipment in a bunch of boxes in the basement.

#12 2rgrbn

2rgrbn

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

I am so with you here! Take the chit out of the amp, and put it in one little box. No, they have to complicate chit. IF they were REALLY smart, they'd make symbilink processor that does all of this chit and can work with any Zapco amp, so they'll all have the same features in every class.

I agree with simple, I have a C2K 9.0 it took 5 minutes to adjust and is strong, also DC Ref 1000.4 with DRC-Sl it took 30 minutes to set up and I have 5 presets at the push of a button, Also I have US Amps USA-800 it has 1 knob a gain Which is simple but if I didn't buy a xover for it, it would be useless. I agree Zapco could simplify all the Symbolink stuff, but the DC Refs aren't that complex and most people buying Zapco level products are reletively knowledgeable and once the set up is completed your done. The C2K Amps are simple and are very strong and clean the only drawback is they are pricey the DC Refs make real sound quality affordable and they are modern technology.
Eclipse 7200 MKII
Clarion VRX745VD W/Changer
Zapco SP7-SL
Zapco DRC-SL
Zapco DC Ref 1000.4
Zapco C2K 9.0
US Amps USA-800
Audio Control 2XS
(4) Kicker L7 15"
Kicker SS6.5" seperates
CDT ES62i Seperates
Kinetik 1800 & 2400
Excessive Amperage 300 Amp Alt
Yada,Yada,Yada

#13 2rgrbn

2rgrbn

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:03 AM

I just took out 3 SX amps-(2)1250.1's and (1)700.4 with SXRC and replaced them with Zapco DC 1000.4 with DRC-SL & 9.0the SX are decent in my opinion but really don't even belong in the same sentence with the Zapco's I'm not talking down the Kicker amps but my experience with Kicker SX -vs- Zapco DC Ref or C2K it is not even a little close.
Eclipse 7200 MKII
Clarion VRX745VD W/Changer
Zapco SP7-SL
Zapco DRC-SL
Zapco DC Ref 1000.4
Zapco C2K 9.0
US Amps USA-800
Audio Control 2XS
(4) Kicker L7 15"
Kicker SS6.5" seperates
CDT ES62i Seperates
Kinetik 1800 & 2400
Excessive Amperage 300 Amp Alt
Yada,Yada,Yada

#14 sonic

sonic

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

I just took out 3 SX amps-(2)1250.1's and (1)700.4 with SXRC and replaced them with Zapco DC 1000.4 with DRC-SL & 9.0the SX are decent in my opinion but really don't even belong in the same sentence with the Zapco's I'm not talking down the Kicker amps but my experience with Kicker SX -vs- Zapco DC Ref or C2K it is not even a little close.

Zapco rocks. I am working replacing the 360.4 and 500.1 with 1000.1 and 1100.4
n2caraudio.com

#15 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 67,700 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

Your JL amps have almost as many features built in as the Zapco DC's just not digital

The only reason I own mine was the price, a good hookup surely doesn't hurt. My guess is I paid less for my pair than you for your sub amp...how could I say no?? I only use them as gain blocks though :)

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

I was. Super proud I didn't shit my pants. I was sure it was going to happen.

We sit on the same bench. Your "asshole" just makes me curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

#1 Car Audio Forum Since 2001!