Sign in to follow this  
dmz2711

component systems split power???

Quick question that i should know but i don't. I know crossovers split frequencies to tweeters, and midranges, but do they split the power provided as well?

For example, if I have kicker ss components which are rated at 100 watts, and I provide a 100 watts from my amp, are the tweeters seeing 50 watts, and the midranges seeing 50 watts? or does it mean, that there is a constant 100 watts of power being supplied to the tweets/midranges at the same time, making each speakers capabilites 100 watts rms?

If they do split power, why do they rate the same exact tweeters which are sold seperatley(not part of a component set) at 200watts peak/100watts rms if they are only feeding them 50 watts in the component set????

man, I am confused!!! :puzzled: can anyone explain??? thanks.

Each driver on the crossover will receive 100W minus the power the crossover dissipates.

Each driver on the crossover will receive 100W minus the power the crossover dissipates.

ok thanks, but does that mean that i have to provide 200 watts of power to the component set? I still don't understand how both speakers can see the same amount of power, isn't there a split? i am sure you are right, but can you elaborate? thanks so much!!

Edited by dmz2711

Put 100w into the crossover, and each component gets 100w. Put 200w into the crossover, and each component gets 200w.

ok thanks, but does that mean that i have to provide 200 watts of power to the component set? I still don't understand how both speakers can see the same amount of power, isn't there a split? i am sure you are right, but can you elaborate? thanks so much!!

No you dont have to put 200watts. For an easy way think of it like this 20khz - 2khz (just example numbers) your tweeter receives 100 watts of the power and for 2khz to 60hz (just example numbers) the mid receives 100 watts. Its not splitting the power but splitting the frequency range. hope I explained it right and clear

No you dont have to put 200watts. For an easy way think of it like this 20khz - 2khz (just example numbers) your tweeter receives 100 watts of the power and for 2khz to 60hz (just example numbers) the mid receives 100 watts. Its not splitting the power but splitting the frequency range. hope I explained it right and clear

ok, awsome, great explanation!! thanks so much! out of curiousity, can the tweeter and the midrange play different frequencies (lets say 15khz, and 500hz) at the same time? or is there really a delay that we don't notice because it is to fast? mine sound like they go at the same time, but what do i know, i'm just wondering... thanks again for your help!

can the tweeter and the midrange play different frequencies (lets say 15khz, and 500hz) at the same time?

The point of the crossover is so they don't...you could, but you'd lose any chance of a coherent soundstage and likely damage the tweeter by playing it so low.

Thanks JimJ, so in conclusion (lol), if the component system is rated at 100 watts, I should have no problem running active with 100 watts to each tweeter, and 100 watts to each midrange, correct?

Thanks JimJ, so in conclusion (lol), if the component system is rated at 100 watts, I should have no problem running active with 100 watts to each tweeter, and 100 watts to each midrange, correct?

The mid should take 100w, but the tweeter won't need anywhere near that much power to level match with the mid so don't worry about it

The mid should take 100w, but the tweeter won't need anywhere near that much power to level match with the mid so don't worry about it

thanks! yeah, i figure the tweeter will not need that much power, and I would not feed it that much power, i think it would be way to strong for my taste, but in theory, shouldn't it be able to accept 100 watts if that is what the components are rated at?

thanks for everyones input, it helped out alot!! fing05.gif

thanks! yeah, i figure the tweeter will not need that much power, and I would not feed it that much power, i think it would be way to strong for my taste, but in theory, shouldn't it be able to accept 100 watts if that is what the components are rated at?

thanks for everyones input, it helped out alot!! fing05.gif

It's very frequency dependent. It may be able to handle 100w up in the 10kHz region, but less than 10w in the 1kHz region.

what do you guys mean when you say put 100 watts to a passive crossover and both the mid sees 100 watts AND the tweeter sees 100 watts.

I thought the crossover split the power between the two...giving the mid more power and the tweeter less.

Saying both speakers get 100 watts is like say put 100 watts to two subwoofers and each gets 100 watts

what do you guys mean when you say put 100 watts to a passive crossover and both the mid sees 100 watts AND the tweeter sees 100 watts.

I thought the crossover split the power between the two...giving the mid more power and the tweeter less.

Saying both speakers get 100 watts is like say put 100 watts to two subwoofers and each gets 100 watts

The subwoofers aren't playing different frequency ranges separated by a cross over network however.

doesn't really matter does it??

it is still two speakers sharing the input power

seems like what you guys are saying goes against physics...a watt is a watt

Edited by aznboi3644

No, it is completely INLINE with physics. It really does matter.... since the amplifier is only powering each driver over their crossover chosen bandwidth, the power is the same on both driver, unless there is a very large overlapping of crossover points (which shouldn't happen).

Acidburn described it right.

Let's say the crossover is a 3khz crossover. If you send a 6khz signal the tweeter is going to get nearly 100 watts and the woofer almost nothing, at 3khz then each speaker should get around 50 watts, if you send a 1khz signal the woofer's going to get almost all of the power.

thats the same thing that was confusing me.

the main thing that stumped me was, if the whole component system is rated at 100 watts, then the tweeter and midrange should be able to handle that much power individually (with the proper frequency), incase i wanted to run an active system.... although that is alot of power and I would probably never do it, but in theory they should handle the power.

thats the same thing that was confusing me.

the main thing that stumped me was, if the whole component system is rated at 100 watts, then the tweeter and midrange should be able to handle that much power individually (with the proper frequency), incase i wanted to run an active system.... although that is alot of power and I would probably never do it, but in theory they should handle the power.

The key in your statement is the proper frequency as the drivers can only do the specs at either the specified passband or of course a narrower one. On the same note, if you are bypassing the tweeters crossover it is very, very possible that it cannot take that amount of power as the crossover most likely has a L-pad attenuation circuit built into it. It sounds to me like you are bi-amping, if that is the case set your gains on the mid first and start the tweeters at minimum gain and slowly turn them up to how your ears say they sound good. Be careful as it will be easy to give them too muhc.,

The key in your statement is the proper frequency as the drivers can only do the specs at either the specified passband or of course a narrower one. On the same note, if you are bypassing the tweeters crossover it is very, very possible that it cannot take that amount of power as the crossover most likely has a L-pad attenuation circuit built into it.

i see what you are saying, thanks! the thing that confuses me about that, is the kicker ss tweeters, kicker sells the ss component set rated at 100 watts, and they sell the ss tweeters seperately rated at 100 watts. I was just wondering if you broke up the component set, got rid of the crossovers, and had an active system, can they take 100 watts each (the mids, and the tweeters), considering the same tweeters sold seperately can handle that power? (again, I am not looking to put that much power to tweeters, i am just confused on how everything works). thanks again! :)