trey4sports

4 18" MJ's in a focus hatch?!

im just about ready to pull the trigger on a Focus Hatch and im really debating putting 4 18" MJ's in it (sealed). ive been wanting an SQ leaning S Q L setup for a while. The enclosure however would have to have 2 of the 18's firing up and 2 firing down. Does anyone know if this style enclsosure would even work? im not too framiliar with wave cancellation and other technical aspects but im just trying to get a feel if this idea is plausible. its this same concept however I would be building the box myself: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-HOLE-10-CHAMBERED-CO...1QQcmdZViewItem

ALSO

ive searched just about every MJ 18 thread on the forum and im still trying to get more feedback on how these subs do sealed? im looking for good low-end extension and above average SQ.

Edited by Trey

im looking for good low-end extension and above average SQ.

I would say you're going about it as wrong as you can...

im looking for good low-end extension and above average SQ.

I would say you're going about it as wrong as you can...

ok, any idea what would be better?

maybe 4 12" MAW's ported low?

any ideas/ comments are welcomed

How about one MJ 18" sealed?

That'd be more in line to what you're talking about...

im looking for good low-end extension and above average SQ

lol you want your cake and eat it huh......

you need to think a little more about what you really want,

SQ and 18's dont go hand and hand, either you want SQ or you rwant SPL but ur not going to do SQ with 4 18's....

let me also ask you this.. and dont get offended, are you sure your ready to drop what it takes for 4 18's the right way? im also sure that you dont have space for 4 ported 18's

thinka bout it

Not really. Good LFE is a requirement for accurately reproducing a lot of big orchestral works, you aren't going to feel what a contra-bassoon does if there's a sharp rolloff in the bottom octave :)
SQ and 18's dont go hand and hand

One 18", sure :)

It sounds to me that you have around 8 cubes to work with - correct me if I'm wrong here. If you have that much space, consider doing two MJ's in a ported config. That will give you the clean extension you want with some decent volume.

Best,

Mark

Not really. Good LFE is a requirement for accurately reproducing a lot of big orchestral works, you aren't going to feel what a contra-bassoon does if there's a sharp rolloff in the bottom octave :)

lol yeah of like a movie theater, but a focus is neather,

lol yeah of like a movie theater, but a focus is neather,

A couple IASCA world champions & finalists would disagree.

I don't know if you have enough space to fit them and it wouldn't be too nice to have them work in a cramped space. Focus hatche's aren't that big.

2x 18" MJ's in 8cf sealed for both would do the LSQ job great!

You could port them if you want to, but if you have over 300 watts runing to each one, you probably won't need to lol.

Definetely stick to 2x, they'll do a great job.

See I just dont understand how anyone could say they want 2 18's and good SQ? IMO I find having one 15 too much low end. I almost have to turn it all the way down to get my desired equalization. Almost to the point where I ask myself why do I even need a 15? So I cant imagine how you could integrate 2 18's into any sort of true SQ setup.

Yes mark I am getting old and rickety :bartmoon: .......LOL

Yup, give you another year and you'll be listening to Larry Updike on CJOB AM :poop:

See I just dont understand how anyone could say they want 2 18's and good SQ? IMO I find having one 15 too much low end. I almost have to turn it all the way down to get my desired equalization. Almost to the point where I ask myself why do I even need a 15? So I cant imagine how you could integrate 2 18's into any sort of true SQ setup.

Yes mark I am getting old and rickety :bartmoon: .......LOL

Just because they have "too much low end" doesn't mean they have poor SQ.

Ahhhh.... psychoacoustics.

Also, too much low end is NOT a problem the MJ18's have by any stretch. I thought they had too much midbass, but then again, my plastic car might have contributed to that, I don't know.

correct me if I'm wrong and just up too late, but couldn't he mount the subs just as he's saying, but mount the subs on top inverted, then do an isobaric installation.

idk, i would personally do the 1 sealed, but just figured it might work.

correct me if I'm wrong and just up too late, but couldn't he mount the subs just as he's saying, but mount the subs on top inverted, then do an isobaric installation.

idk, i would personally do the 1 sealed, but just figured it might work.

That wouldn't be an isobaric install though, it'd be a push-pull. Completely different than isobaric.

I thought they had too much midbass, but then again, my plastic car might have contributed to that, I don't know.
If you're getting midbass out of them, that's a major installation snafu...
So I cant imagine how you could integrate 2 18's into any sort of true SQ setup.

Ever seen a typical IB installation? ;)