CleanLS

Diving into home audio

OK guys, need osme help.

I plan on eventually getting a pretty kick a$$ set up for the house. To help get me started, my dad graciously gave me a Toshiba 5 channel (plus subwoofer, so 6) home system...minus receiver. The receiver crapped out.

I'd like to get a receiver for these speakers that will also be fine for when the time comes to get a nice pair of Klipsch or B&W's.

This system looks identical to this:

ac9f_1.JPG

Except the center channel is rectangular instead of more square like the satelite speakers.

Here the specs for the speakers:

Satellite Speaker Center Speaker Passive Subwoofer

Type: 2 Way 2 Speaker 2 Way 2 Speaker 1 Way 1 Speaker

Impedance: 8 Ω 8 Ω 4 Ω

Frequency: 110 - 40kHz 110 - 40kHz Hz 40 - 1,500Hz

SPL: 83 dB/W (1m) 83 dB/W (1m) 82 dB/W (1m)

Rated Power: 60W 60W 100 W

Max. Power: 120 W 120 W 200 W

Now there are 6 speakers total and the specs above list 5. Are the 4 satilites supposed to be wired so that a pair are as one, so that they split the 60W for 30W a piece?

Anyways... give me the best options for a reciever that will also make a great one for better speakers later on. If I end up getting higher power rated speakers (I probably will) I can get an amp by Rotel or something.

So far the best receiver I've come across for those power levels is one by Marantz for $349. This one right here: http://us.marantz.com/Products/2090.asp

I'd like to stay at this dollar figure or below. In found a Sony one to but it's 100W per channel.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Edit: Aldo the speakers have little red and black tabs on the back to accept regular speaker wire. It's not RCA's or fixed wires coming out of them. And Holy crap I almost forgot...

Video. Everything is gonna run into it: DVD player, TV and Xbox. Sorry. A little...but also big fact

Edited by CleanLS

So are you after an all-in-one central unit?

So are you after an all-in-one central unit?

Yes. And thanks for the reply. ONe central unit that won't break the bank and can power the speakers I listed.

Everything I find is like 100W per channel. Is that too much for my speakers? Won't I blow them if I crank it up?

Well you said yourself you want to be ready for something else down the road. So just be mindful of the volume now, as you'll need the power later.

120w+ is what you should be looking for.

The only thing I don't like about that one is lack of HDMI support. Argue all you want about how you have no devices that support it at this point... you will eventually since that's where the home theatre market is moving to.

You'll want a receiver that upconverts all video to HDMI output and supports the HDMI v1.3 HDCP standard.

The only thing I don't like about that one is lack of HDMI support. Argue all you want about how you have no devices that support it at this point... you will eventually since that's where the home theatre market is moving to.

You'll want a receiver that upconverts all video to HDMI output and supports the HDMI v1.3 HDCP standard.

I hear ya, and I may very well get one that does. for $139, it does all that I need and will need for some time. My plan is use it know with the Toshiba speakers. Save a bit and get some nice Klipsch or B&W's, upgrade the sub to a JL fathom, then at the very end upgrade the TV and get HD.

When the time comes I'll get a nice Marantz or something like that with all the supports.

Nice find Casey!

I'm wondering how HDMI will be handled in the separates market. I don't know much about it, but I would assume you could swap out the processor for something HDMI-capable without changing amplification?

I'm just curious because everyone I've talked to running HDMI in some form is running a receiver, which is just blah to me.

I'm wondering how HDMI will be handled in the separates market. I don't know much about it, but I would assume you could swap out the processor for something HDMI-capable without changing amplification?

I'm just curious because everyone I've talked to running HDMI in some form is running a receiver, which is just blah to me.

Damn, something Jim doesn't know alot about.

This is a surprise.

Because it's home theater...I don't own an HDTV, don't really have any plans to get one...

'Tis a project for when I actually move out of the closet of an apartment I live in...

Because it's home theater...I don't own an HDTV, don't really have any plans to get one...

'Tis a project for when I actually move out of the closet of an apartment I live in...

Understandable.

Its getting to the point, where if you don't have 1080p, your in the past.

Sad, cause I cant afford the TV I want. Then much less the audio setup I want. :(

There are HDMI switchers available.. but I haven't seen something that takes the video and splits it from the audio (so that the audio would go to the separates). I'm sure someone big like Krell will have or does have something that will do it eventually.

I'll ask around though, I'm sure you're not the first person to question HDMI integration with separate pre-amps and Surround amplifiers.

Outlaw's preamps have HDMI switching in them, they are about the cheapest stuff I can find for stuff that can do 2ch and component switching.

Cheap being relative of course. :)