Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

A Small Laptop Build

Alright, so I have been without any real tunes for quite a while lately and I think it is really starting to kill me. So starting this weekend I'm going to get the music on my Ext HD's straightened out and start this build...

Zaph Audio - Slimline Wall Mounted Speaker - Part 1

Zaph Audio - Slimline Wall Mounted Speaker - Part 2

To power it I will be using a reciever off an old "surround" setup that I have. Plans are to also add 1 (maybe 2) MLI-65's for sub duty probably up to 80-90Hz ish (Sorry Sean).

First Questions....

Where do I order parts for the crossover? Want to order them and the speakers as soon as possible with hopes of it getting in by this weekend.

audio-speaker20b-crossover.gif

I know the grounding symbol doesn't mean you actually ground the wire, but what does it mean?

It seems to me the design does not incorporate a high pass filter for the drivers, how do I incorporate this into the crossover design?

I think the "grounds" all connect to the "-" of the amplifier.

As far as high-pass for the mids, I don't think it's mandatory, but I may be wrong.

Yes, the grounds all connect to the negative terminal

You can get the crossover parts from www.partsexpress.com and www.madisound.com

i know the high pass crossover isn't completely mandatory but i'd rather not push them too low as they max out at 10W at something like 40 or 60 Hz.

How Many "watts" should the resistor be?

What kind of capacitors?

Are there any brands to pay attention to or shy away from?

You'd be fine with really small resistors pretty much the smallest audio R that PE has, and don't spend too much on any of the parts...classically not the cheapest pieces, not the most expensive.

Don't apologize for the 80hz, just make the subs stereo and then you can run them even higher!

Don't apologize for the 80hz, just make the subs stereo and then you can run them even higher!

You read my mind =P but I'm not exactly sure how that is going to workout with the power I got, but I will try :)

Will the ND20FB be a direct replacement for the ND20TB? They look the same and cost the same....

Madisound is out of stock on the Aura NS-193..... anywhere else I can buy?

http://www.solen.ca/v1/

You could also ask when Madisound will have them back in stock as building the enclosures and crossovers won't happen instantly...

I think the tweeter difference is a typo on Zaph's part as I don't remember a different one, but I won't say my memory is stellar.

No NS-193's for several months...... looks like I'm going to a different project

Looking around and this looks to be a pretty fun/cheap build to suffice, and probably get a little lower as well

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/DBP/dbp.htm

So I'll go ahead and start to question....

On the crossover design he shows 2 crossovers, one for each driver. Would I just combine the two together for a combined load of 4 ohms?

dbpxo.jpg

Or this one

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html

I think I favor Zaph because he is so damn thorough with his explanations.

With this one I would do Baffle step compensation because boundaries will be close by and I could make them on little stands to help with desk reflection

You would wire the 2 crossover networks together in parallel, but the amp will only ever see an 8 ohm load because the frequency range is split between the drivers.

A little update on this project. It has gotten a little back burnered because of the BIB's but definitely not forgotten. I haven't been able to build anything lately so my mind has started brewing on this again.

I want to keep the slimline design (build whenever I can get the Aura drivers) and for sub duty I want to throw in the new Sundown 8's stereo and cross them in at 120 Hz.

For the slimline's I want to throw a gfa-535 at them (60W). and at 60W Zaph says the speakers can only take excusrion down to 120Hz (how convenient eh? ;))

For the 8's I'm clueless at the moment for amplification the drivers are 4 ohm and rated at 200 but I really think I would be very happy with 150W ( this is a small room with all this power it will be loud in here). Suggestions?

Also I would run this all off my laptop with no pre-amp so what modifications shall be required? I know I could probably get away with headphone to RCA and split the RCA's but I'd like to explore some better options.

Last thing is how will I HP the slimlines over at 120 Hz?

I'd just get a budget plate amp that has the crossover built in for the sub. Makes that portion easy.