Sign in to follow this  
numatik

one woofer gets hot, one dosnt...

hey guys

im running to sundown saz1500ds strapped at 2 ohms, and 2 btl 18s dual 2s in my s10. i recently reconed.

when i slam on them for a few minutes, one woofer gets hot real quick, the other gets warm. they both slap just as hard, but i cant figure out why the one woofer is getting hotter. i checked the tinsels where i soldered it looks good, same as the other one. all the connections are good as well, im using all 8awg wire. i set the gains using a multimeter and there gettin the right voltage the calculator gave me (3000w at 2 ohms - 77.5v) . i also swiched the woofers so the one getting hot was on the other side, and its still only that woofer getting obnormally warm! can someone tell me what im doing wrong? did i f up the recone somehow??

Measure impedance of the subs individually to see how they compare. Check that both amps are outputing said voltages. Check also how much voltage your electrical system is dropping.

Sounds like ones getting more clip than the other to me.

Never ever ever ever set the gains with a multimeter...you'll burn shit up in a heart beat.

You need to set you gains according to your input voltage, not your 'desired' wattage output at a given impedance that you are no where near close to...

Setting are wrong on the master amp and you are probably clipping it and the one sub is getting the grunt of it..

Never ever ever ever set the gains with a multimeter...you'll burn chit up in a heart beat.

You need to set you gains according to your input voltage, not your 'desired' wattage output at a given impedance that you are no where near close to...

Setting are wrong on the master amp and you are probably clipping it and the one sub is getting the grunt of it..

what would you recommend i do? i dont have access to a oscope

let a shop do it for you, if you are really close to KY i'd do it for you.

Just remember if you let a shop do it, make sure they have an o-scope and ask them what the max clean volume is after they have set it up.

heres a chitty diagram how its wired... also the bro out on the master goes in the br in on the slave. all the electrical connections are solid

mysetup.jpg

you can try this-

Besides the theory that your amp(s) may be set wrong, i just got done reading about these amps and try and see if this helps-

unhook one of the 2 + speaker wires going to each amp.

I see that you ran speaker wire to both positive terminals on each amp. Try only running 1 positive run to each amp leaving 1 positive terminal on each amp unused.

It is stated that the amps are bridged internally and that running it like you have it is not necessary.

you can try this-

Besides the theory that your amp(s) may be set wrong, i just got done reading about these amps and try and see if this helps-

I see that you ran speaker wire to both positive terminals on each amp. Try only running 1 positive run to each amp leaving 1 positive terminal on each amp unused.

It is stated that the amps are bridged internally and that running it like you have it is not necessary.

il try that and see if it works

you can try this-

il try that and see if it works

hey i talked to some people and they said to leave the wiring as is...

also iv been doing some reading and i stillc ant find a good answer. how can i figure out my exact impedance on my subs? all i have is a dmm... can it be done this way? if so, how do i do it??

can it be done this way?

Nope, you need a true RMS clamp meter as well, to be able to measure current...

Did you read this thread when you strapped your amps?

i just went through that thread, i have it wired right! i cant figure it out, i think theres something wrong with my sub...

subs and amps don't have magic if you think something is wrong it has gotta be measureable. check the coils, the tinsel and the wiring again. did you try interchanging the master/slave amp and see if its the same? or reducing your gain level?

does it get warm no matter the volume/gain level?

subs and amps don't have magic if you think something is wrong it has gotta be measureable. check the coils, the tinsel and the wiring again. did you try interchanging the master/slave amp and see if its the same? or reducing your gain level?

i chcked the tinsel, all the soldering points are good. it only gets hot goin full volume, but its only 1 sub that gets hot! how would i check the coils? could it be that when i reconed the woofer didnt sit strate? when i push the sub down it feels just like the other one. when i reduce the gain it still gets warmer then the other sub, but not as bad... i need to get an oscope i guess... i just really need to fix this problem

Still think you are having some sort of wiring issue or something of that nature...that's not normal..

Why not try un-strapping the amps and wire them normally with the coils in parallel on each sub? If it still does it then we need to diagnose something else...

Thanks!

-Nick

i chcked the tinsel, all the soldering points are good. it only gets hot goin full volume, but its only 1 sub that gets hot! how would i check the coils? could it be that when i reconed the woofer didnt sit strate? when i push the sub down it feels just like the other one. when i reduce the gain it still gets warmer then the other sub, but not as bad... i need to get an oscope i guess... i just really need to fix this problem

dustcaps shouldn't get warm..wait thats the sub you reconed? did you center the coils right? any stratching or anything when u push it down with your hand?

and check the coils with a dmm

Still think you are having some sort of wiring issue or something of that nature...that's not normal..

Why not try un-strapping the amps and wire them normally with the coils in parallel on each sub? If it still does it then we need to diagnose something else...

Thanks!

-Nick

its in a single chamber box tho, wouldnt that be bad? also i tried switching the sub from side to the other, and the same woofer is still getting hot... so i dont think its a wiring issue... but when i have some time i could try wiring them individually. it will take a while, il have to pull my batterys out, the woofers out and pick up some more 8awg to run cause the lengths are perfect to the way the amps are mounted as is. is there anything else i can try without unstrapping?

If only one sub is getting warm and you don't have an amp or loading issue...I am willing to bet you have a bad/wrong coil in one sub.

CHECK ALL COILS W/ A DMM.

See what load you are getting from each coil.

Never ever ever ever set the gains with a multimeter...you'll burn chit up in a heart beat.

He is 100% right on this one.

DON'T USE A DMM TO SET GAINS!

Here is alil demo I did to prove that you can and will clip your amps if you set the gain w/ a DMM:

I set the gain on that PG600.1 just like all the 'how-to' guides tell you w/ the DMM.

At low 60hz, the amp did not clip...but at low frequency, the signal was BADLY clipped.

you're the third person i've read saying the same thing..

now im confused on how i should set my Gains now.. (sorry for thread hijacking) because i set my amps previously using multimeter.

how would i use the oscope?

you're the third person i've read saying the same thing..

now im confused on how i should set my Gains now.. (sorry for thread hijacking) because i set my amps previously using multimeter.

how would i use the oscope?

yes i would like details on this as well. how much are they? where can you buy them? and also i noticed that latley its been taking a little longer for the sub to get hot.... i dont know wtf is going on with it!!!

Like i said, do what i told you to do. Unstrap the amps see if it still does it..it's not going to hurt them

Thanks!

-Nick

Sign in to follow this