19 members have voted

1. 1. Hmmm...

• TC Sounds
    • Fi
    • JL
    • Alpine
    • Cerwin Vega
    • Other (please leave a reply)

i have $400 and i am lookin for a really nice pair of 12's i mean the best. 400 includes shipping so probably more like $350 and 50 for shipping. i am also open to Alpine, and Cerwin Vega if you arent selling anything, at least leave me an idea of what you think i should get... TY

Why a pair of 12's? Have you bought an amp yet? What space are you working with? What are your listening preferences? Do you like SPL or SQ?

This is for the home, yes?

So far you've just listed companies...no products...

this kid is confused...first he wanted the best pair of 18's...lil does he know a good 10 runs around $300 and hes looking for the best...

:banhim:

i vote baja

I voted for the fun of it.

Why a pair of 12's? Have you bought an amp yet? What space are you working with? What are your listening preferences? Do you like SPL or SQ?

i have an amp, yes. and i am a fiend for spl

just to start off once i get an idea of companies, then i will comp. and con. products

this kid is confused...first he wanted the best pair of 18's...lil does he know a good 10 runs around $300 and hes looking for the best...

i have the mind of a goldfish yes, i am looking to learn as much as i can to be able to start my buisness of putting together boxes for the seniors at my high school some are filthy rich, others have a budget

:banhim:

dear lord why?

just to start off once i get an idea of companies, then i will comp. and con. products

Useless just to compare companies.

Look at Fi, for example. There's woofers I can't stand and would never own (BTL, BL) and woofers that I probably would (IB ones, SSD's, etc...)

Same with JL. While I love the W6v2, I wouldn't look at the W3's or W1's or even the W7's for that matter.

You've been PM'd.

I highly recommend to the OP to stop asking which brand, which product, and instead to actually give us a budget, an application, and your exact goals. At that point we can help. Right now you are just going to get very arbitrary responses based on what people like and subjectively people on here are all over the board. Some are into one note uber loud fart boxes and others into super accurate music reproduction and just so you know the two are POLAR opposites.

I can just tell you my opinions based on what I have owned.

MTX 5500's - Hit very well in their Thunder TC enclosure made specifically for them, but have horrible SQ. I was listening to the last one I owned (and THIS is the reason it will be the last one I own as well), at a volume of around 10. Normal listening, checking out the normal FM radio stations. I pull up to a light and notice the bass isn't hitting, and pull over in a parking lot to see what the hell just happened. I pop the trunk and push the cone to see if its blown. Smoke comes out of the screw holes (crappy home depot screws drilled at an angle, which I didn't even realize), so I take it out of the box and instantly there is plumes of black smoke filling the trunk. Heres the thing though : the voice coils were fine, but the magnet smelled like burning rubber. So screw MTX.

I had a Alpine Type R (SWR-1242D), and it honestly hit very well in a prefab qlogic bandpass enclosure. I got good SQ, and great SPL for what the speaker was. This was one of the few subs I've owned where coworkers and friends were able to hear me coming from a parking lot away. I really liked this one, since it hit very well in a sealed as well as bandpass box.

I owned a Sony Xplod as my first sub, and it hit fairly decent. At the time I wanted some bass when I got my first car, and picked this up along with a Baja 400w amp (I know, the CHEAPEST system, eh? LoL ran me like 200 I believe). This hit better than the MTX's, even with less watts. Better SQ and SPL than the MTX. Personally though, it didn't go as low as I wanted. I ran it in a sealed box and it wasn't able to produce the lows like I wanted.

Lastly, I owned a Jl 12w3V3. This sub was excellent. Had better SQ and SPL than any of my other subs, and hit extremely hard. I honestly didn't like this in the prefab bandpass box I had, but it sounded excellent in the sealed box. I always underpowered this one since I didn't know how much juice to feed it, and didn't want to risk blowing it. Oddly enough, i had a problem where it just quit working. I had to push the cone to make it start hitting again, and if it was on a FM station it was fine as long as there was constant bass. Once the bass stopped, had to push the cone again. I called JL (Their tech support SUCKS!), and was told it was a problem with the cone and the sub was worthless now. I then called my local car audio place and they told me that the voice coils werent getting any energy (One of the tinsel leads had come loose), so I asked if there was a problem hooking the amp wires directly to the Voicecoils and was told no. About a week later the sub quit working again, and had scorch marks over the voice coils, and one was completely seperated while the other was hanging by a thread. You have to love crappy advice from idiots at a car audio shop. Maybe I just have a crappy amp (Rockford T4004).

I now have a pair of RE Audio RE12D4 subs. These things suck. Horrible SQ, and they don't get very loud. Luckily I'm selling these and getting a 15 inch XXX lol.

Alex

Alex all of your subjective comments on drivers are not useful as you never put them in a real enclosure. :( The box/install is more important than the driver and you ignored it. If you do the same to your XXX it will be a horrible waste of money.

Alex all of your subjective comments on drivers are not useful as you never put them in a real enclosure. :( The box/install is more important than the driver and you ignored it. If you do the same to your XXX it will be a horrible waste of money.

x2.

But isn't SQ subjective?