shizzzon

Buying a meter

You really need to understand "significant digits" and how they apply to accuracy. Just because you have enough resolution to see a change does not mean that you are accurately measuring it. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

would you have a chance to go to a shop with a meter, or a comp with your meter and see how they compare? I don't know if this was asked I didn't want to read 4 pages of debating to get it or not :P

i shouldnt have to because there are more than one topic about this on other forums about comparisons. I've already posted it here before in this thread and just like the manufacturer states, this meter reads LOWER than the termlab because (this is their brief summery of it) the termlab mic still isn't as accurate as their mic and has a lot of trouble staying consistent past 170db.

It was noted that when a competitor metered a 179.1 Db on the termlab mic that this meter metered an exact 170db.

I'm gonna be using this meter tomorrow to start positioning speaker box to see which type of install will work best in my car.

hey neighbor buddy, wanna meter my set-up? :D lol hey then maybe after that ill get snoopdan to meter my set-up with the termlab n see how they compare...

Edited by phi

i shouldnt have to because there are more than one topic about this on other forums about comparisons. I've already posted it here before in this thread and just like the manufacturer states, this meter reads LOWER than the termlab because (this is their brief summery of it) the termlab mic still isn't as accurate as their mic and has a lot of trouble staying consistent past 170db.

It was noted that when a competitor metered a 179.1 Db on the termlab mic that this meter metered an exact 170db.

I'm gonna be using this meter tomorrow to start positioning speaker box to see which type of install will work best in my car.

Neither are microphones :(

Tell u what, pick a place out on dixie highway next week and I'll meet u there.

Tell u what, pick a place out on dixie highway next week and I'll meet u there.

r u talkin to me? i didnt expect you to wanna do it, or even that soon lol. but i dont know if i can do it next week cus i gotta fix a leak in my trunk first and i really have only weekends to do anything because im enrolled at speed school full time. can i get back to you with a different time? :) or ill give you a holler when i get my leak problem fixed and then you can give me a time when you wanna do it.

Edited by phi

That's cool

Of coursei'm talkin to u, hehe, nobody else on this thread knows where dixie is, hehe

That's cool

Of coursei'm talkin to u, hehe, nobody else on this thread knows where dixie is, hehe

dixie is actually really long. hehe but yea i posted to snoopdan about comparing the meters and ill see what he says but yea i gotta fix the leak first, its pissing me off :suicide-santa: n you know how it rained today too

Edited by phi

What ever came of this? I saw the same kit on ebay. If it is comparible to the termlab that is used in competition, then it would be something cheap to play around with at home. I'm not looking for 170 db anyway so playing in the 140-150 range wouldn't be too bad

u are wondering just as much as i am...

This thread should still be active until it can be compared.

I own the meter, this is the thread i started but nobody around here has a tlab.

TL is on it's way to me.

As soon as I manage to sell some of the crap I'm not using, I'm going to buy a cheap meter and test it out against the TL.

i have a tl (for now, lol), but not this cheap meter. and no way i'm waiting that long to have one shipped. if someone was close with the cheapo...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm new to this forum but anyways...I had a question on the termlab.....the basic termlab pro cost 650 or so, and the dual meter setup is only about $200 different which includes an additional meter and cable....like 800 or so can't remember but for the basic pack with no add on programs....next

so if an additional meter and cat5 cable cost about under $200 does it mean the software is $450 and the termlab pro meter and wire are $200...

termlab with software basic $650

non name brand with software $265

termlab extra cable and meter $200

no name brand rca cable and meter $82

maybe termlab over charges since you buying a name brand....Like most amps today that are class d same share design, made overseas like most amps, and made by same people, but the heatsick is diffrent style and brand name, but it's 2 times the cost and same power output....lol...ok back to this junk

The meter on ebay cost $90 and the software $180, which is close to 50 percent of the actual cost of the software and hardware of the termlab pro $650 for 1 basic setup...

The termlab and this meter box have a small box enclosure with suction cups...lol....

the termlab uses an ethernet cable vs the rca connection on this meter/sensor whatever it is...

Not to sure once you buy the software package to this new meter if it will be rca to usb or phone jack i don't now yet...

ALL I NOW THERE IS SOME HATERS OUT HERE WHO ONLY STICK TO THERE BRAND THEY GREW UP WITH....I SAY GTFO IF THE END RESULTS ARE THE SAME...

I have competed using termlab systems, and i have seen diffrence's off 4 dbs using another so called... this termlab mic is just been calibrated...but the scores from the prevoius day or after noon still stand weather there meter was reading over...

Anyways....For the price i think it's ok and affordable....Even though I feel like openig up both meters and comparing to see whats inside of each....the meters without software cost low i price to me, just that one brand is known more then the other thats it...

SO IF YOU WANT A TERMLAB BUY THE BASIC KIT $650, MAKE COPY OF SOFTWARE AND INTALL IN YOUR PC....ORDER FOR $200 AN ADDITONAL METER AND CABLE LIKE THEY SALE...

SALE YOUR TERMLABPRO TO YOUR BUDDY, AND USE THE EXTRA METER AND CABLE WITH YOUR OLD SOFTWARE YOU HAD INSTALLED,

NOW YOU HAVE A $200 NEW TERMLAB SENSOR.....WOW....

SO IF YOU BUY A BASIC PACKAGE EMAIL THEM AND THEY WILL SALE YOU THE EXTRA SETUP...IF YOU DIDN'T BUY THE PACKAGE FROM THEM THEY WONT SALE YOU THE METER...THATS WHAT THEY EMAILED ME, KINDA...I DON'T LIKE TO COPY AND PASTE AND LIKE TO EXPRESS IN MY WAY....

SO WHATEVER YOU LIKE TO DO IS FINE, I THINK EITHER MIC IS GOOD,,THINK THE CALIBRATION TO TL IS EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING...

PLUS IF YOU USE THIS TO CALIBRATE YOUR SPL VEHICLE, YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM TUNING YOUR CAR TO THE HIGHEST IT CAN ACHIEVE....SO IF YOU HIT MORE OR LESS AT THE TL YOU CAN EASY CALCULATE THE DIFFRENCE IF ANY TO THE RESULTS THIS METER GAVE YOU....

SO EVEN IF YOU USE EITHER METER AT A SHOW, THE ONLY WAY TO RAISE THE SCORE HIGHER AFTER A TERMLAB RESULT WOULD BE TO ADD MORE POWER OR EQUIPMENT...

MY CONCLUSION

So if you want to tune a vehicle you can use any meter you can afford from these 2..

If you use a termlab the db's it reads may or may not match the shows tl meter eve though you will kinda now were your score sis at..Calibrations may be needed and not all calibrations are exact but close..Also most spl shows say it is a new meter that was calibrated but who nows...

anyways I'm just seeing if you understand what i typed and hope this answer some questions....The tl was chosen so that all meters would be identical in reading methods, but do require calibrations....We don't now what meter is more accurate but we still use termlab as it was chosen from the a group of meters they had there eyes on..that way people won't say i hit 3 db's more on the other meter i want that score...lol...

so I suggest you get one to tune, if you don't have a spl meter there is no point in competing, as one more could hurt your score dramatically...Either a tl or this meter is fine...Both look the same and read about the same...

anyways I'm a bit behind schedule and have a few amps to repair or troubleshoot cya guys

any questions please post..

i didnt even know u posted.

The company who made my meter said that they have never needed to re-calibrate not one of these meters with one exception of someone damaging it somehow and sent in for inspection.

I REALLY REALLY WISH i could compare this to a Tlab to show guys the deal is with cheap vs pricey.

The difference in the tlab and this meter is a lot-

the tlab needs a pc, this meter i have needs a millivolt DMM, or an oscope.

Most people have pcs or laptops so it's more adaptive. Not so many people have oscopes or millivolt DMMs.

The tlab has software that is used for competition, can save scores bla bla bla... AND tells you your Db reading in realtime.

The meter i have outputs a millivolt reading that you type into the software that came with it. It then calculates it for you and tells you what you hit.

They give you print out sheets of what millivolt reading would read in between 90-180db in 1db increments but if u need to know the tenth, hundreth or even thousandth of a db, the software is there to find out for you.

That's basically it.