Sign in to follow this  
bbhs2320

New subs

I have two 15" L7s and im not very satisfied with them and im getting rid of them. I listen to all rap so i want a spl setup but i think i either want two 15" or one 18" sub. Price doesnt really matter. but i dont want to redo all my electrical because i dont plan on keeping the car i have. I was thinking maybe an icon or fi or re or mayb alpine type rs. and i would need suggestions on an amp as well. thanx

Do you currently have an amp? What kind of power does it put out and how much space do you have to work with in your current vehicle? SSA ICON's would be great for rap.

Why are you not satisfied with the L7s? What kind of amp were you using to power them? What ohm load are the subs, what load were you running to the amp? What kind of enclosure did you have them in? A simple enclosure change could solve your problem.

i have a hifonics brutus 2000 watt amp but im trying to sell it because i dont like it very much. I have about 6 cubic feet to mess around with give or take.

I have them running at a 1 ohm load. but i dont think my hifonics amp can push them. they are in a sealed box about 6 cubic feet.

wow, L7s love ported box's but L7s also only shine in LARGE ported boxes too.

You should try to build an enclosure for just 1 of those L7s ported with that amp.

I'm sure it will be a lot louder, trust me.

Since you have, you say, 6 cubes to work with...about that, build the largest ported box you can as long as it's under 6cubes ported NET and you should be very impressed.

Try to get it as close to 6 as possible though. IF you can't, don't worry because you will need a decent size port which would take up some room.

wow, L7s love ported box's but L7s also only shine in LARGE ported boxes too.

You should try to build an enclosure for just 1 of those L7s ported with that amp.

I'm sure it will be a lot louder, trust me.

Since you have, you say, 6 cubes to work with...about that, build the largest ported box you can as long as it's under 6cubes ported NET and you should be very impressed.

Try to get it as close to 6 as possible though. IF you can't, don't worry because you will need a decent size port which would take up some room.

Thats what I was thinking.

What kind of vehicle do you have this in and whats your max dimensions (or the ones of your current box) ?

i drive a 1991 honda accord. my max dimensions are about 6 cubic feet

i drive a 1991 honda accord. my max dimensions are about 6 cubic feet

Well what I trying to get at is just because you can fit 6 cubic feet doesn't mean you should use 6 cubic feet (especially in a trunk car). If you had the subs facing toward the license plate and the box was big enough to not let air flow around it that could cause a disappointment with the subs, and using a sealed alignment but expecting ported output.

I would suggest rebuilding the box before you go to buy something else.

the problem is i have 2 kicker L7s and i dont think my amp can power them both. it can power 1 just fine.

If your current amp can't power the L7s, it makes no sense to buy another woofer that it can't power either...

What I would do is build a proper enclosure for those L7s, get a real amp and I'm sure you'll think differently of it...

well here is my situation, one of the guys i know said he'd buy my subs for $650 and i got them for $490 and i figured i could sell them and get nicer subs and i have someone that will buy my amp as well so i figured my best bet would be make some money and buy a nicer quality sub and amp combo

well go ahead and sell em all then but what WE were saying was to just rebuild a ported enclosure for 1 and power all that sub with only that amp because-

That amp is just right for 1 L7

Your current enclosure was way to small for the power you had.

well i was thinking of doing that and selling my amp and getting a nice amp and a a good quality sub. i was thinking maybe one 18" but im not sure like an Fi