Sign in to follow this  
Mark LaFountain

NPdang's SSA ICON 12D2 REVIEW

Thank you to ANT for purchasing and donating the driver for test!

DSC_0206.gif

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1022x680.DSC_0207.gif

DSC_0208.gif

My first impression upon receiving this sub was that finally, someone came out with a reasonably sized design. Unremarkable in appearance compared to the latest drivers, nonetheless all the hallmarks of a high end driver are present. Large progressive roll spider, large 4 layer voice coil, aluminum former, cast aluminum basket, venting under the spider, and a massive pole vent in the rear. A nice added touch is the tinsel leads appear to be covered in a non-conductive braiding. May I also add, this driver smells like fiberglass resin? Also note: Moving the driver's cone by hand is not recommended. The dual spider suspension is extremely stiff, which should bode well for small box applications. My only concern construction wise would be that it's very easy for the large pole vent to suck in debris or box stuffing. Otherwise, a very solidly built driver at an attractive price.

T/S parameters. Maybe something with my woofer tester, but I double checked the calibration and retested about a dozen times, and these are the results. I would think they are fairly accurate, because if I import the published lower BL spec it would give the driver an xmax of about 8mm 1 way. Also they seem to jive pretty well with the measured frequency response, AND this driver was measured HOT. So there you have it.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x640.untitled.jpg

A distortion vs. nearfield frequency response plot. An inductive hump centered at 50hz is noticeable. Ignore anything below 20hz, or above 400hz.

thd.jpg

And lastly the Klippel results. (Sorry Jeff, last one I promise!)

img_BlX-1.png

img_CmsX-1.png

img_LeX-1.png

img_Temperature_Power-1.png

Looks like 1-way xmag of ~19mm, close enough to rated specs. Very nicely centered curve, with good symmetry. Not as extended of a plateau as you might see with the best designs, but a terrific example of a textbook overhung motor. Typical Le curve for a motor without a faraday ring/sleeve, with inductance increasing in the rearward stroke. Appears as if suspension was perfectly mated to the capabilities of the motor. All in all, good results. I didn't observe any excess mechanical noise either during the test, which is a good sign.

Overall, a good driver that I believe is comparable to earlier versions of the TC-9, as measured and construction wise. Appears to be quite solid and able to handle a good amount of power, and small signal parameters suggest a small sealex box driver with a good amount of kick without too thick or bloated of a low end.

original: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33953

we would really like him to take more reading from the sub after it's broken in. They come very very stiff from the factory.

nice review man..so far still have not read 1 thing bad about these and im starting to doubt i ever will..lol

mine hella smells like resin also and i second the very stiff from the factory comment

And when I was there a couple of months ago, they got a beating so I can't imagine. That poor truck. :D

mine hella smells like resin also and i second the very stiff from the factory comment

It's not resin, it's something entirely different. I contractually binded not to say what though :)

The ones that are in Mark's SUV are still

If the drivers can stand up to the abuse testing mark does and the listening testing I do, it will do well. ;)

we would really like him to take more reading from the sub after it's broken in. They come very very stiff from the factory.

You got that right . The suspension is stiff as a board from the get go :)