i was really close to ordering a Pioneer AVIC-D3 for the Mini.

well, its 700 shipped, 6.1" screen, navi, etc.

for a couple hundred more, why not get a carPC?

so im doing just that. i ordered the 10.4" samsung VGA touchscreen. i need to figure out the PC thing now.

im mostly concerned with the audio output. im going to keep my Head unit, and run audio out from the PC, to red/white aux in on the nakamichi HU. then sub/front/rear outs from the HU, to the EQ, then to the crossover, then to the amps.

my question is, if the audio out on the PC is a standard 3.5mm jack, would is sound bad if i ran 3.5mm out from pc, to red/white aux in on HU? (i ran my ipod this way for a while, didnt sound any different than playing a cd did)

i dont know how a PC would react though to that, vs using just the ipod as i stated above.

or, should i get a motherboard (or sound card) with optical audio or digital audio out?

then the next issue occurs. should i sell the Nakamichi, and get an indash sound processor, with a optical or digital audio in to accept the signal from the PC?

what are my options here?

If you can go digital why wouldn't you? Otherwise your proposal to go into the input via 1/8in stereo to RCA is fine.

how will that sound though? im going to be using the PC to play my audio all the time...id run digital audio or optical, i just need to find a processor that has rca outputs for the sub/front/rear, and digital/optical audio in to accept from the PC. and i could replace my HU with the new processor.

i just need to find a processor that has rca outputs for the sub/front/rear, and digital/optical audio in to accept from the PC. and i could replace my HU with the new processor.

A good sound card will give you sub/front/rear outputs.

The Creative Audigy 2NX I'm looking at right now does it :)

i dont see left/right sub, front, and rear outs?

There are 1/8" stereo to RCA adapters ;)

Pretty cheap at PE or Guitar Center...

But if you are asking that question, I would suggest just buying a headunit.

sorry i dont have any input to help you with this but i did want to say this sounds really kool and i hope you go thru with it..id like to see what it will be like..

i dont see left/right sub, front, and rear outs?

There are 1/8" stereo to RCA adapters ;)

Pretty cheap at PE or Guitar Center...

wouldnt that be the same as just going stereo 1/8" out from an on board sound card, to RCA inputs on my HU, then RCA outs from HU, to amps?

i still have my HU

wouldnt that be the same as just going stereo 1/8" out from an on board sound card, to RCA inputs on my HU, then RCA outs from HU, to amps?

i still have my HU

I meant instead of a carpc.

No, because the PC is going to have a ton more flexibility than the head unit ever will, and I'm not really sure why you're keeping a head unit when you're going to be putting in a carPC...the whole idea is to replace the head unit with something else :)

it was for preouts, but i guess if i run that sound blaster, i wont need the HU.

should i still run the Clarion EQ i have?

soundblaster out, to EQ in, EQ out to coustic xm6 in, coustic out, to amp in?

If you wanted to, you could connect the amps directly to the sound card outputs, there are ways to both EQ and have crossover functions that are entirely digital.

how would i do that?

also, i want to be able to easily control the volume of the system by a KNOB, not through the PC, and i will most likely put that sound card by the PC, so i want something on my dash for master volume.

could i use the EQ volume knob?

In software...

The whole point of a CarPC is that the PC is going to be a much more upgradeable and flexible platform for audio processing than traditional line-level audio components.

If all you're looking for is a big hard drive to put stuff on, this is not the right choice for you. Get the biggest Ipod you can and an adapter cable in that case.

i have a 160gb ipod. i wanna try out a carPC though, with GPS, etc.

plus, i already have the Coustic XM6 crossover.

what would u do in this case?

why?

Because it is FAR from trivial to implement, considering your grasp of what needs to be done so far I think it is like running a marathon before you have learned to crawl. I would highly, highly recommend that you don't go down this path.

would this work? or is this right?

setup.jpg

The computer trumps everything.

No h/u, no eq, no crossover...only amps. However it is dangerous as you are now using the pc to control everything which is infinitely variable and I again don't think you are ready for it. (ie do it at home first)

i dont trust using a software crossover.

id use the EQ, but like i said, i want a KNOB volume control, to control the master volume. i dont want to have to control it through the touchscreen or PC. i hate button volume controls.

plus, i already have the coustic 3 way xover, paid like 45 bux i think new. im going to use it. lol

would this work? or is this right?

Should work just fine. Certainly not the best idea, but it can work