freat

Amp for Soundsplinter rli-8 4Ohn (single coil)

I'm currently running a rockford fosgate amp to a single sealed rli-8 s4 directly coupled to my cabin (via the ski pass hole). The SQ is great, but at higher volumes I think the amp is not so clean. I've got a 1 farad cap and battery is in the trunk, and my radar detector displays system voltage and it's very stable.

I was thinking of replacing this amp with a XT 800.2. I think is is sized appropriately. The Rockford Fosgate I'm running is the previous generation of this model:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...S&p_status=

Sound like a plan? :)

TIA!

-Ron

that's a minimal increase in power, but still well within what the rl-i can handle. not sure if it's going to be any cleaner.

how is the current amp set? gain, boost, xover?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

how is the current amp set? gain, boost, xover?

You bring up some interesting points. The current setup I'm running the stock BMW headunit into a Peripheral unit to adjust the gain before going to the amp. I havn't scoped it to see what the voltage is hitting. Not sure if there's another way to do this, but how I adjusted it seems OK. The amp's gain itself is set about halfway, and the XO is at 100Hz, but it's the crappy 2nd order 12db XO that's built into the amp.

My plan is to move all active, which is another reason I want to buy another amp. This would let me move the Rockfords to run just the front components, then dedicate a better quality amp to the rli-8. I want to get the most possible out of this sub. Maybe I should focus on the active XO for the sub first? Cleaning that up will definitely help the SQ.

I've actually got a Linux computer built that runs BruteFIR on the audio. I pulled it out for further work and to integrate some stuff with the iBus so I can control it from the steering wheel. The front components are a set of Vifas from Madisound. The XO between them is 24db/octave, but still the crappy 12db high pass from the amp. This weekend I'm replacing the tweets with some higher power LPGs that match pretty well.

So your comment about minimal increase in power... should I go with the USAmps 1600.2? Or wait until I've got my active going? More more more!

-Ron

well, alot of people will run a higher power amp, then gain down so that the amp/sub will never see clipping. and with such a minimal increase in power, one wouldn't have that option.

with similiar power ratings, one would have to look at input signal to make sure the amp isn't reproducing an already clipped signal. and with you mentioning the peripheral unit, i would wager that at higher volumes that is what is happening. you are better off turning the loc "gains" down some and making up for it with the amp gains. the best bet is to use a 360 or cleansweep and up the voltage cleanly, if one is wanting to keep the stock h/u.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Makes sense that I need to watch for the clipping. I took a look at the JL CleanSweep and the RF 360. Both are great devices. Since I would need to set my head unit to a constant volume and use them to control it anyways... I just need to control the volume via the computer instead! :) Also I plan on using the PC to playback MP3s so in the end this makes the most sense. Of course if I do that, and I got rid of the factory head unit, then I could use the volume controls on the steering wheel to control the PC. Hmmm. I've always used the Pioneer premier line in the past. I wish they had the nice red color scheme like interior of the BMW instead of all bright blue.

The computer will be doing digital room correction and the XOs actively, so this is kind of why I'm resisting investing too much on other devices like the 360. I've already gone through one development phase with it and was doing the DRC but now I'm getting serioius. Anyways, I'll start posting pics online and let you guys know.

FYI I went ahead and got a Sundown 100.2 on sale. Even if only marginally higher output, I think it will be a better match. Better quality too!

Thanks for your help! :drink40:

your welcome, and i think you'll enjoy the sundown. hopefully soon a pair will find their way to my garage. car to go in is undetermined, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I've actually got a Linux computer built that runs BruteFIR on the audio.

Well there's your problem. You need OpenBSD! ;)

-fp