scizzle

Ideas for Sound system

I'm trying to figure out what to get for a good sound system in my Escalade. I was thinking about getting 2 12inch cv stroker's,(any opinion on these). for the doors I was thinking about a boston acoustics components 6 1/2's not sure about a deck, back door speakers, and amps for speakers and the subwoofers. Please help. Speakers pairs not more than 300 bucks subs not more than 300 bucks a piece amps not sure imagine they'll be at least 500 but I want to keep it around 3500 dollars give me your ideas with install so.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Anything you've heard before that you liked?

How did you get that out of that :D

ive never once heard a stroker sound good...and ive heard alot of them..plus they are not knowin for and are not made for sq..just made to be loud...sometimes they dont do a good job at that..lol

Edited by denalilvr

ive never once heard a stroker sound good...and ive heard alot of them..plus they are not knowin for and are not made for sq..just made to be loud...sometimes they dont do a good job at that..lol

The original Strokers could sound very good in the right install, they were basically pro audio woofers in the same vein as B&C and Selenium :)

No idea how the newer ones are...or which ones he's talking about...

I want More SQ than SPL, I wasn't sure about the CV's that's why I am asking people who know. Any suggestions for really good SQ subs that are 3oo or less per sub. as well as the other things I am asking about.

I want More SQ than SPL, I wasn't sure about the CV's that's why I am asking people who know. Any suggestions for really good SQ subs that are 3oo or less per sub. as well as the other things I am asking about.

Mach 5 ixl's

SSA Icon

Fi Q

those are all right around 300$,

If it were me with 3500$

I would be leaning towards a mach 5 ixl.

For amps I would do s saz-100.4 and saz-1500d

for components I would do hertz hi-power series components, mb quartz qsc's or jbl c608mkII components.

Now we need to factor in about 2 days of labor for a full install (erroring on the side of caution). So basically after the 1200$ in labor, and 400$ in parts/wiring and miscellaneous supplies you have a nice 1800 or so dollars for actual product.

Do you plan on adding a better battery, big 3, or even an alarm/start... Are you having a box built for you?

For rear speakers I would feed them deck power and use a co-axial of the same family of speakers.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/index.htm

those subs are a beast and are pretty cheap, the hdc3's that is.

Find a nice amp sundown, seen an orion goin for 400$ somewhere, option is endless....

endless for both really, i mean ereone has an opinion, i would say listen to other peoples systems and then make ur choice from there.

Now we need to factor in about 2 days of labor for a full install (erroring on the side of caution). So basically after the 1200$ in labor, and 400$ in parts/wiring and miscellaneous supplies you have a nice 1800 or so dollars for actual product.

Do you plan on adding a better battery, big 3, or even an alarm/start... Are you having a box built for you?

For rear speakers I would feed them deck power and use a co-axial of the same family of speakers.

Thanks for your input. I am not sure I haven't really talked to the customs place around here for information regarding anything other than speaker choices. What do you think, and honestly what is big 3, and alarm/start do you mean an alarm system or am i stupid. I am going to have a box built but I don't know what I should do there either, I am pretty much in the ideas stage and this will really be my first real audio system so I am not in the now about a lot of things. any more input your willing to give me would be great thanks. oh and also you don't think i should have an amp for the rear speakers is that what you were saying.

id go with

2-15'' icons-$538

1-kicker zx1500.1-$350

2 sets for front and back-JL AUDIO XR650-CXI $330

1- 4 channel kicker 650.4 $200

Alpine CDA-9885 head unit $200

yellow top battery under the hood $175

160sq ft of damplifier $376

$2169

id go with

2-15'' icons-$538

1-kicker zx1500.1-$350

$2169

Yet you forgot to tack on an extra 8-16 hours for the damplifier so another 600-1200dollars just in labor for sound deadening?

id go with

2-15'' icons-$538

1-kicker zx1500.1-$350

$2169

Yet you forgot to tack on an extra 8-16 hours for the damplifier so another 600-1200dollars just in labor for sound deadening?

i think around $1500 will be enough for installation..plus any place that charges $1200 for sound deadening install needs to be shot..

Edited by denalilvr

i think around $1500 will be enough for installation..plus any place that charges $1200 for sound deadening install needs to be shot..

I am wondering what kind of deck to get too, because I can't imagine jsut some regular alpine like that one would go so great in an escalade. It leaves quite a bit of space.

I'll write up a list when I have more time, but 2 sets of components is a waste for SQ...so is 2 15's, that would be better spent elsewhere.

what my point is this..i know there are budgets set, but whats the point of setting a budget that may not please you with what you get? so instead of just buying what you can afford spend a couple extra hundered dollars and make sure you get the right stuff the first time around..i think install for that equipment shouldnt go higher then $1700

I'll write up a list when I have more time, but 2 sets of components is a waste for SQ...so is 2 15's, that would be better spent elsewhere.

well we have gone over this you only do the front and i choose to do the whole truck..and whats wrong with 2 15's for sq? let me guess your going to come with a whole diy setup for the guy..lol

Edited by denalilvr

well we have gone over this you only do the front and i choose to do the whole truck..and whats wrong with 2 15's for sq? let me guess your going to come with a whole diy setup for the guy..lol

I was actually thinking Hybrid Audio, so not really "DIY" :D

Nothing particularly wrong with 2 15's for SQ in and of themselves, it's just that that takes away budget for more critical things...like the front stage. I'd rather have that down first, and then leave adding more subs for later if there's budget for it.

Lets start off with some basics: Headunit... cheap to expensive it basically comes down to some basic features.

Do you want bluetooth

Ipod capability

HD and/or satellite radio (than only certain brands support xm/vs sirius)

Do you want navigation

Can you fit a double din

Do you need adjustable colors ( to match with your gauges etc)

How much equalization and sound shaping do you really need.

Now for speakers, find a set of tweeters you like. Mid-range is the easy part and almost always sounds good. Stay away from anything with lights in the speaker. Tweeters come ina couple different types. Tweeter location is up to you (doors, kicks or a=pillars are common choices).

For amps, I ALWAYS choose a company that has great customer service/warranties as this will most likely be the first thing to break in a system, subwoofers are normally second if they are abused. (or first if truly overpowered)

Labor rates are normally between 50$ an hour and 85$ an hour on custom work. Fiberglassing projects are exponentially more expensive and doing massive plexi glass things gets very expensive quick. The cheapest box coverings are veneers, carpet and vinyl wrapping. Most shops will only run 1 run of 4ga. power/ground. If you are going to use a system capable of more than 1500 watts insist on 0ga wiring.

Take a look at the wiring, A good shop never uses quick connects (on alarms and starters), always has exceptional cable management (shrinkwrap, wire ties, electrical tape etc). If you get a chance look at their tools, is the install area pretty clean, do they have tools set up well or just strewn around.

As for quotes, always get a written quote, take it home and sit on it for a day or two. Don't tell other shops you visit the prices you got from the other places and keep them all. When you are ready to spend money go back to the shop that was the most professional, they will almost always match their competitors pricing (although not on labor) and you want your vehicle to be treated with care.

So now that that is all said and done.

Decide how much money you really want in an install. My first car was all fiberglass and pretty plexi with led's everywhere, Ironically I spend 3900 dollars on my first sq car so I know this budget point pretty well as it took me 3 months to finally decide on exactly what I wanted.

Head unit will be ~300 dollars for a decent piece, don't be ashamed to pick up a model from last year or a floor model (one that is out of box on display). Buy something you can look at day in and isn't soo complicated you will never figure out the features.

And one of the biggest things to remember when shop shopping is that this is your car and you shouldn't be pressured into buying something you don't want.

what my point is this..i know there are budgets set, but whats the point of setting a budget that may not please you with what you get? so instead of just buying what you can afford spend a couple extra hundered dollars and make sure you get the right stuff the first time around..i think install for that equipment shouldnt go higher then $1700

well unlike best buy and other box shops, Most audio shops charge by the hour. Install costs are normally the most expensive part of any custom project. I'm not against sound deadening, but in all of the escalade builds I have seen it is very minimal due to the efforts cadilac put into reducing road noise.

one thing I forgot to mention, most audio shops offer a discount on the labor rate if you bought the equipment from them.

Sorry for the derail in my last post,

Another question would be are you trying to keep this classy like the ride itself, in that case I would suggest either vinyl wrapping the same color as your interior on a hardwood veneer the same color as the steering wheel wood.

well unlike best buy and other box shops, Most audio shops charge by the hour. Install costs are normally the most expensive part of any custom project. I'm not against sound deadening, but in all of the escalade builds I have seen it is very minimal due to the efforts cadilac put into reducing road noise.

one thing I forgot to mention, most audio shops offer a discount on the labor rate if you bought the equipment from them.

back about 5 years ago i had a 1999 denali and in it they installed 4 jl audio w7's,5 autotek amps,2 sets of component speakers,flip out head unit,flip down tv,all around dynamat,alarm,, and highout alt, and box, and charged me $2000 for the install..and they had my truck for 2 weeks..only because it took forever for ohio generators to send my alt..we waited about 8 days for it..

back about 5 years ago i had a 1999 denali and in it they installed 4 jl audio w7's,5 autotek amps,2 sets of component speakers,flip out head unit,flip down tv,all around dynamat,alarm,, and highout alt, and box, and charged me $2000 for the install..and they had my truck for 2 weeks..only because it took forever for ohio generators to send my alt..we waited about 8 days for it..

time to get this thread back on track... as you can see install costs greatly vary from shop to shop, especially dependent on where you live in the country/world as well.

Maybe my eyes are shot right now (a very good possibility), but other than having someone build the box for him where did he say this was going to be shop-installed?