scizzle

Ideas for Sound system

Maybe my eyes are shot right now (a very good possibility), but other than having someone build the box for him where did he say this was going to be shop-installed?

His original post, last 3 words.

I was just trying to make a point that if he decides to do anything custom it can get very expensive. Most people don't realize when they walk into an audio shop that there is more than just replacing speakers in stock locations. There are always cheaper options, q-logic kick panels for example would probably cost ~170 dollar but improve the front sound stage dramatically.

I took that to mean to include installation tips that would help, but it was poorly written, you're probably right :)

Wow there is a lot more involved with this than I ever thought. LOL I was thinking about an install from a sound advice here in Florida or this place called MadMarks. Let me clarify I want a nice sound system 15's are a little too much(not money) I think 12's would suffice. I want one component set in the front I do know that. I'm not sure what to do about the custom box, because I have to choose the subs first this is my opinion. The sound deadening sounds cool I didn't even think of that due to how quiet my car is already. I know I need a bigger battery because my battery now sucks, and maybe even an upgraded alternator(unless with the bigger battery I have to get it no matter what) . I'm not looking to compete with this sound system, so everything I want to do is probably overkill. About the deck, I already have XM built in so I don't know if that is an easy hook up to a new deck but I want Ipod support don't care about bluetooth, I can fit a double din. I don't need a DVD player, but I would like some EQuing possibilities. I think if I go to crazy with vinyls and stuff I am going to be way over budget so I am just trying to gain some knowledge and perspective and get some opinions, so when I talk to a custom place I don't sound like an idiot.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Anything you've heard before that you liked?

I listen to everything from Jazz to techno to rap to rock to metal to classical.

I have heard kicker cv 12's I thought those were pretty good but not sure.

Edited by scizzle

if 2 15's is too much maybe do 1 15'' that should save you about $250 or so..or maybe 1 12'' if you dont care for too much bass but still want a lil bump

do 12 18s and let it run off a mouse wheel. That chit will wang HAHA.... nICE TO HAVE NEW PEEPS HERE BRO. yOU DEFINATELY CAME TO THE RIGHT SITE. HOW SOON DO YOU WANNA START BUYIN' STUFF? SOUNDS LIKE YOU WANNA GET YOUR SUBS FIRST. THEY ARE ALWAYS THE COOLEST TO LOOK AT IMO.........LATER BRO JOEY

do 12 18s and let it run off a mouse wheel. That chit will wang HAHA.... nICE TO HAVE NEW PEEPS HERE BRO. yOU DEFINATELY CAME TO THE RIGHT SITE. HOW SOON DO YOU WANNA START BUYIN' STUFF? SOUNDS LIKE YOU WANNA GET YOUR SUBS FIRST. THEY ARE ALWAYS THE COOLEST TO LOOK AT IMO.........LATER BRO JOEY

I'm not sure sometime whenever I decide what to get I guess.

Wow there is a lot more involved with this than I ever thought. LOL I was thinking about an install from a sound advice here in Florida or this place called MadMarks. Let me clarify I want a nice sound system 15's are a little too much(not money) I think 12's would suffice. I want one component set in the front I do know that. I'm not sure what to do about the custom box, because I have to choose the subs first this is my opinion. The sound deadening sounds cool I didn't even think of that due to how quiet my car is already. I know I need a bigger battery because my battery now sucks, and maybe even an upgraded alternator(unless with the bigger battery I have to get it no matter what) . I'm not looking to compete with this sound system, so everything I want to do is probably overkill. About the deck, I already have XM built in so I don't know if that is an easy hook up to a new deck but I want Ipod support don't care about bluetooth, I can fit a double din. I don't need a DVD player, but I would like some EQuing possibilities. I think if I go to crazy with vinyls and stuff I am going to be way over budget so I am just trying to gain some knowledge and perspective and get some opinions, so when I talk to a custom place I don't sound like an idiot.

You have a few options regarding your headunit. You could use the factory headunit and line output converters, using seperate eq's etc...

You can buy the metra kit, gain a little storage cubby (possibly moving your hvac controls a little bit (I'm not an installer and don't know escalade's consoles off of the top of my head.

Seeing as your budget is $3500, I would suggest going with a less expensive double din unit like a pioneer avic D3, Alpine IVA-w205....

So lets say you spent $1000 on a headunit, you could still spend 6-700 dollars on speakers and pick up a memphis audio belle amplifier. Headunits are generally a 1hour install tops, front speakers, the same. A mdf and carpeted box will run you ~300. Grab a group 31 optima yellowtop for a battery.

The reason why I am suggesting a 5 channel amplifier is because you will get more out of your money in this case. After talking to Mach 5 audio I would suggest an ixl series 12 if you are looking for some sq that can get pretty loud with less than 1000w.

if your near a member from this forum maybe you can workout a deal with him to install your stuff..im sure he wouldnt charge you like a shop would..plus you can watch him and learn how to do the stuff yourself in the future

if your near a member from this forum maybe you can workout a deal with him to install your stuff..im sure he wouldnt charge you like a shop would..plus you can watch him and learn how to do the stuff yourself in the future

Thats what I am hoping actually.

ya you can make a thread and see who lives near by and maybe you can drop by there place and see there install to make sure they know there chit..and see what you guys can work out..then you can save more money and buy more equipment

I'll write up a list when I have more time, but 2 sets of components is a waste for SQ...so is 2 15's, that would be better spent elsewhere.

well we have gone over this you only do the front and i choose to do the whole truck..and whats wrong with 2 15's for sq? let me guess your going to come with a whole diy setup for the guy..lol

Your choice for the whole vehicle IS NOT for SQ purposes which the original poster asked for. :(

I'll write up a list when I have more time, but 2 sets of components is a waste for SQ...so is 2 15's, that would be better spent elsewhere.

well we have gone over this you only do the front and i choose to do the whole truck..and whats wrong with 2 15's for sq? let me guess your going to come with a whole diy setup for the guy..lol

Your choice for the whole vehicle IS NOT for SQ purposes which the original poster asked for. :(

well i think boston pro's and 2 15's can be made for sq..it just depends what you consider sq and what i consider sq..

Well changing the definition to suit you isn't really logical, I suppose you can do that for SPL as well?

Well changing the definition to suit you isn't really logical, I suppose you can do that for SPL as well?

im not changing anything..what im saying is like if we heard a set up with 2 15's where the owner thought it was really loud but to us it may not be..same to others where some subs sound good but to others they may sound sloppy..everyone has different taste..

Yours is confused. SQ is not something you understand...at all. :(

Yours is confused. SQ is not something you understand...at all. :(

ive noticed this about you, you like pointing out what you feel is wrong but never a reason or explanation for what you beilive it right..what im saying is we all have different taste and different ears..what i may feel sounds nice may be not sound the same for you..

No, you just missed the analogy completely.

You wouldn't argue with saying that SPL is for maximum output right? As in SPL competitions they score you based on how loud you play.

Well the same holds true for SQ. To make matters worse in this regard you haven't heard a well setup only front speaker system, but just think since you have four speakers and like them that it is the right way. Giving out recommendations with no background nor comparison is not only shady, but not helpful at all.

To dumb this down for you in this case you have decided that you like your system (which is great since your system is for you), but to make yourself feel good you are trying to say you have an SQ system and altering the definition of SQ to fit what you have. What you like is fine, but that doesn't make it so you can change definitions of rather well defined terms to fit your scenario.

there are only 2 terms, sq and spl..so i ask you if i have 2 sets of boston pro 60's or even jl xr series and for 2 15's i have image dynamic subs id 15 models where would that fall under spl or sq?

Edited by denalilvr

You are thick headed, it is the install that will make either not the equipment. The discussion here isn't about what equipment you have but filling goals. The OP asked for SQ. This denotes no rear fill. In your hypothetical question there is an easy answer. A system that only had 2 of the 4 drivers would sound better and therefore have better SQ than the one with 4. So in other words, if your goal was to build an SQ system and you bought what you said above you would fail compared to the person who just used a single set of drivers. I find this really amusing that you are even trying to have this discussion considering you don't even know what a crossover is. :(

You are thick headed, it is the install that will make either not the equipment. The discussion here isn't about what equipment you have but filling goals. The OP asked for SQ. This denotes no rear fill. In your hypothetical question there is an easy answer. A system that only had 2 of the 4 drivers would sound better and therefore have better SQ than the one with 4. So in other words, if your goal was to build an SQ system and you bought what you said above you would fail compared to the person who just used a single set of drivers. I find this really amusing that you are even trying to have this discussion considering you don't even know what a crossover is. :(

now your insulting him calling him op? man your mod act like one..

I'm gonna have to side with Sean on this one. Sound Quality is a definition not subjective.

Sound Quality is reproducing the original recording with as little distortion (the most accuracy) as possible.

Sound Quality is about tonality, imaging, soundstage... It is judged in a competition, if it was purely subjective than it would not be judgeable.

The only reason you add more subwoofers in a sound quality system is to enable the reproduction of lower frequencies. Reproducing subsonic frequencies requires either a huge subwoofer box (IB works as well) or a lot of cone moving (more woofers).

I have never seen a sound quality car that uses more than one set of speakers (whether 3 way or 2 way)((excluding 5.1 sq cars)). Now the subjective part is what do you like. We are all going to recomend things we either have first hand experience with or we have knowledge about. Sean can come off very snobbish, He has answered these questions and argued his point more times than I have probably eaten breakfast in my entire life.

So to the original poster to clarify, you are looking for a good sounding system that can accurately reproduce music within the confines of your budget?

Double post, sorry.

Since I already have the post space...

The reason you don't run multiple sets of speakers because now you have more speakers to eq, time align, and you have more noise. *meaning more going on, SQ should be simple, sounding effortless*

Frequencies from as low as 45 hz to 20khz plus are localizable, meaning that your ears and brain can process and determine where the sound is coming from. If you have speakers behind you reproducing these frequencies than you will be able to tell where the sound is coming from and it will be detrimental to the theory of a soundstage, which should extend out in front of you sometimes even seeming to be outside the vehicle.

This is getting to be pretty funny actually back and forth back and forth I due enjoy this, it gives me stuff to read when I get on at night. I want simplicity though that's why im going with one set of components. But if anybody is actually interested in answering this question. What are the best brands and speakers within those brands for a component 6 1/2 set and plane 6 1/2's?