Sign in to follow this  
jdawg90

What the hell do i do? Im STUMPED

I have a deh-p590 ib with 4v preouts which are actually 2.2-2.3v. My gain was originally around 1/3rd on my sub amp set with a dmm at 3/4 volume with a 50hz 0db test tone. I hit the power cable on my amp and fried it. I replaced the amp with the same one and had to turn the gain to 2/3rds (around .75v mark on the amp) to get the same output voltage. I figured i screwed up my head unit, but didnt really think twice about it. Last fall i bought a pdx 4.100 and four new speakers... with the gain all the way up i could not get the correct output voltage using a test tone and dmm. I turned the sla to +4 and the gain settled around 3/4 up (just past .5v mark on amp). I just put in a new head unit (same model) and the gains stayed where they were... too high. I am really stumped on what to do... i have 2.2v at the rca's but the gain is past the 1v mark on my amps...

Also, the rca voltage does not change as i change the volume... i thought teh rca voltage was dynamic??

Could a bad power or ground connection on the head unit cause this? Im thinking about getting a line driver but that seems more like a band aid than a fix...

Id really appreciate some advice.

thanks

Edited by jdawg90

I suggest trying a new set of RCA's.

With the head deck pulled out, just plug into the back of the deck then into the amps and see if it's any different.

You changed the amp, you changed the head deck. Anything beyond the signal side (electrical, etc.) won't affect where the gains are set to, so you can rule that out. The only thing it doesn't sound like you've changed are the RCAs.

Also try pulling power from the head deck, or just resetting it to factory defaults. Sometimes settings will get wacked and you'll have mute or some strange EQ'ing.

Finally make sure the amp settings are correct. A subsonic filter set too high will cause a similar problem, likewise a LPF set too low.

Good luck

I suggest trying a new set of RCA's.

With the head deck pulled out, just plug into the back of the deck then into the amps and see if it's any different.

You changed the amp, you changed the head deck. Anything beyond the signal side (electrical, etc.) won't affect where the gains are set to, so you can rule that out. The only thing it doesn't sound like you've changed are the RCAs.

Also try pulling power from the head deck, or just resetting it to factory defaults. Sometimes settings will get wacked and you'll have mute or some strange EQ'ing.

Finally make sure the amp settings are correct. A subsonic filter set too high will cause a similar problem, likewise a LPF set too low.

Good luck

hpf for speakers is 100, lpf for midbass is 300, lpf for sub is 70 and ssf is 25. The head unit resetted when i changed them out. And I have 2 sets of rca's and i get the same reading at the back of the deck as on the end of the rca...

What i did notice is when i change the sla from +4 to 0 the voltage output on the amp nearly drops in half but the rca voltage does not change... the rca voltage doesnt change as i change the volume either

Just to repeat.

Same test tone. X volts out of the amplfier with the SLA set to +4, Y volts out of the RCA's. Change the SLA to 0, now you have X/2 out of the amplifier and still have Y on the RCA's?

If so, you have to be measuring wrong. Are you putting the DMM from the middle pin of the rca to the outer shield? If you are, please list the exact voltages you are measuring while the multimeter is in AC mode.

Ok i think i got it figured out. First of all i have some fluke MM with 2 settings... one is voltage not sure hwat the other is. I guess it autoselects whatever it is. When the volunme is 39 or below it reads 2.3 something... the ac volt thing isnt there its a )))))... not sure what that is... resistance? When i turn it to 40 it reads ----- like its trying to decide and beeps a lot and above 40 it gives me a ac voltage reading. With sla at +4 and it 62/62 i get 3.8v which is about right since its 4v preouts. At 53/62 with sla +0 i get .990v ac and with it 45/62 sla +4 i get .990 v ac. I set the gain so its 45/62 with sla +4 and the gain is dead in the center at "nom." Dont think im gonna get any clipping out of my deck do u? I know pioneers clip at close to full volume and this is 53/62 with the sla off.

Does everything sound good?