fbi90909

a little feedback about trickle chargers.

hey guys i have a question about a trickle charger.

well i bout a 1.5amp charger so i could help maintain my batts being that i have a honda civic and running 2 batts with only a 90amp alt(waiting for EA to build mine) i had figured it would be a good investment to buy a trickle charger and use it a week or so to help maintain my batteries charge. right now it's a stock honda battery up front(3yrs old and abused to all hell) and my hc2400 in the trunk. well i have noticed a HUGE improvement on voltage being stabkle since the kinetik was put in. so being that honda have chit for charging systems and are built to be effecient in most ways i wanted to put a charger on the batts here and there..

WELL, what i'm getting to is i took the charger and i put it on my red top. i measured it before i put it on and the red top gave me a reading of 13.4-13.5 floating. the batery had been sitting out of my car for only 2 days. well i put the charger on it and it's jumping around a little odd. it'll charge up to 14.# then say it's charged and stop charging. the voltage would drop and then it would start charging again. so i want to know if this is normal?

here's a vid of an example of how it is acting.

tell me what you think before i stick this charger onto my car.

th_1a77ca57.jpg

edit: forgot the link to video.

Edited by fbi90909

I know my Ctek 7000 moniters voltage every 10 minutes after its finished charging and if voltage dips below 12.9 volts it hits it untill its back to either 14.7 or 14.4 volts

i've never used trickles before but i'm sure that's normal.

Remove the charger off the bat and measure it again later.

If it's the same voltage then it's holding a charge.

I dont know why the charger keeps coming back on for?

Is the charger geared toward charging this type of battery?

It is doing that because batteries will slide back to 12V when they are not being charged, since the trickle charge is designed not to overcharge, it shuts off... then turns on again because the battery voltage has dropped.

most 12v battieries are "static" between 12.8 and 13.2 volts

here's what the description for it says.

Keeps 12 volt batteries charged. Fully automatic. Turns on and off as needed. Allows safe charging of RV, deep-cycle or most batteries that may have a long storage period. "On Board" feature allows mounting of charger next to battery on collectibles, street rods and other infrequently used vehicles. Hardware and mounting brackets are included. 1.5 amp trickle charge rate-charges in 2 to 12 hours LED lights-Indicated Power On and Charged. Reverse-polarity protection. Molded plastic case

i'm going to let it sit for a few hours then unplug it and measure the battery.

As has been stated, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The owner's manual should detail this.