I just installed my new HU, it's a Pioneer DEH-P690UB (not the best in the world, but it gets the job done).

It has a usb connection to hook up your iPod and other usb mass storage devices.

My question is what brand/make of HDD works? I've already tried a few and they are a no go. Reason is I think they are requiring more juice then the usb cable can provide.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction and stop me from wasting more time and money trying out different usb hard drives I'd really appreciate it.

id just get a 8gb thumb drive and call it a day

I have a bit over 10 gigs of music, so I'd need a 16.

Follow up question, would seek time be slower then a HDD?

- Flash memory is faster than HDD storage (for reads).

- IDE/SATA/SCSI is faster than USB.

So, assuming both drives are on a USB bus (based on the original post scenario), the thumb drive should have faster seek times.

...they make thumb drives all the way up to 32gb

- Flash memory is faster than HDD storage (for reads).

- IDE/SATA/SCSI is faster than USB.

So, assuming both drives are on a USB bus (based on the original post scenario), the thumb drive should have faster seek times.

Thumb drive it is!

You can always switch the music on the thumb drive...8 gig is probably the way I would go.

You can always switch the music on the thumb drive...8 gig is probably the way I would go.

True... I'd say a gig or two is music I hardly ever listen to. That and 8 gigs run about $20-$25 or less and that fits my price range perfectly.

Stick to a thumb drive. Using a actual harddrive is a bad idea. Moving parts and power requirements will be a problem.

Also, I don't see why you have to have all of your 10gigs of music in the car at all times. I have well over 100GB and I only have a couple cds in my car at any given time (roughly 2gb of music).

It's not that I need all of my music in my car at any given time, it's just that I want the possibility of having all of them. :)

But yes, I just went ahead and ordered a 16 gig thumb drive.

nice glad to see advice takin

Yeah the more I thought about it, the less I wanted a HDD because I would then need to make a place for it to sit.

nice glad to see advice takin

Yeah the more I thought about it, the less I wanted a HDD because I would then need to make a place for it to sit.

And they break and generate heat. Moving parts in a moving vehicle isn't the best for a spinning harddrive.

And they break and generate heat. Moving parts in a moving vehicle isn't the best for a spinning harddrive.

Yeah I was trying to figure out a way to cushion and suspend the HDD so that it wasn't going to take a beating on our crappy roads around here.

So thanks again for the suggestion guys, saved me a whole hell of a lot of time messing with a hard drive.

Edited by Froot Loops