Sign in to follow this  
dem beats

New SQ thread

For midbass you don't need to discuss sq, just output. Spend your money on drivers that play more than 2 octaves :)

In reality the SLS sounds great. Ask Scott as well. Everytime I hear them in any install or speaker I am impressed. For the $$ I don't think anything else compares for that type of install.

Stick a fork in it them because that subject is done!

Save me some bucks too for the stuff that matters and maybe get some more toys like a better batt and maybe an alt.

sweet. I'm getting excited. What would you match to those? Not that it would be that much, but I would rather buy all at once especialy if I buy it all from Madi

Depends on mounting locations, aiming, music preferences, and of course processing.

not to thread jack since it is kinda on the same subject, the new Sundown E8's that are coming soon, how do they look as a midbass driver in your opinion M5 since the new T/S's have been posted?

Depends on mounting locations, aiming, music preferences, and of course processing.

LOl

I would think you had my truck memorised by now.

98 EB expedition. I have room in the kicks etc. I put all the info in the first post on this thread, as the other thread got too long. You had recomended I go 3 way with the prs 880 using the amplifies low pass, and the band pass from the 880 acting as a high pass.

How big of a driver do you want in your kicks? 4" fit or are we stuck with only 3" drivers?

How big of a driver do you want in your kicks? 4" fit or are we stuck with only 3" drivers?

if we go 3 way, going with a 4 inch would limit the tweeter space a bit. That would be the only consideration I would have but there is tons of room when you get down there and look.

I noticed I said if we go 3 way.... I think I've become codependant on the forum and it's help lol

Edited by dem beats

If you don't go three way you cannot use the SLS. It pukes around 250hz and I have never seen a tweeter dig anywhere near that LOL.

Lots of 3's available depending on your budget....and desires.

Need amazing midbass bass and mid perfromance in an SQ set up.

I have an 98 EB expedition. I have a 4 channel alpine 65 watt/ channel. I have an saz 1500. I have an 880 pio.

I have 4 rolls of RAAM and 10-12 yards of ensolite on the way. I will be getting some 1/0 and the big 3 done.

I listen to all music. Techno ie bass mechanics, BT, bjork, vnv nation. Hip hop ie, Atmosphere, Jurassic 5, dj shadow. Classical ie vivaldi, orff carmina, lovely ludwig van. Rock ie tool, slipknot, dragonforce. Classic rock ie clapton, zepplin, hendrix. Rat pack music. I just went from Arlo guthrie to frou frou to the dobie bro's. I gets gown with everything.

I listen to everything.... everythng but pop. I loath 95% of all pop.

As I said before, the only thing I need from a tweet is imaging and clarity. It's the only place I would be willing to sacrifice in the name of lewts. the budget.... about $2500 for drivers, I will need more amplification for the front if I go 3 way front stage however, ad it looks as thought that may be the way I'm heading.

Only change is I want to keep the budget lower as I will need a new amp and I am trying to save a bit of cash for other toys too atm.

But, there is the info for the most part. I'm pretty happy to go 3 way.

=)

Edited by dem beats

On the upper end of the price range would be the Buwalda L3, but if you want to go the more budget friendly route I would look at:

http://madisound.com/catalog/product_info....products_id=281

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=773

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=1765

or the Tang w3's but they'd be my last choice in this list.

If you went bigger and used more of your budget, I really like this driver :)

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=780

If I had heard the Legatia's I'd comment more on those, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

If I had heard the Legatia's I'd comment more on those, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

They're quite nice :)

On the upper end of the price range would be the Buwalda L3, but if you want to go the more budget friendly route I would look at:

http://madisound.com/catalog/product_info....products_id=281

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=773

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=1765

or the Tang w3's but they'd be my last choice in this list.

If you went bigger and used more of your budget, I really like this driver :)

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=780

with the pearless and fostex are you thinking go without the tweet??

I like the seas the most but how large of an enclosure would it need to be in there? That plus a tweet would get crowded.

Those all really need tweeters other than the fostex, even then a super tweet or something with some high end would help. Since your budget is there, I'd really do the 3 way with the SLS...

in your opinion which will give the best quality to imaging and responce and use the smallest enclosure size possible, or rather with these mids will any need to be ported? I can only imagine the migraine that will cause.

I guess, if you were in my shoes, what mid and tweet would you pair up with the SLS.

The budwalla set up looks super fancy, i'm just not sold on it though.

None need to be ported, just vent them into your fenders :) Mucho easier. I haven't heard the Legatia so I can't really comment on the best and what I would do isn't always the best for you perhaps. I am a big fan of the Fostex though...in particular if you have a limited tweeter on top.

Fostex build quality is excellent, and my Sigs really don't need tweeters on top ;) But the 4" is the smallest that the Sig line goes...

Dave, I never said I wasn't sold on the idea they are good drivers, but that I don't have experience with them so it is hard for me to recommend them. Everything else in my list I have heard. I don't like to be the guy that pushes "boners" around without anything backing it up so I just wanted to be clear that I have no experience with them.

As for the Fostex and the upper end, the install I heard them in was without a tweeter and they did amazingly well. I really do like that driver and if you have to stick with a modified two way (midbass & mid) it is the choice I'd make although the 4" Legatia is supposed to be able to play to 17kHz I do feel for upper frequencies the 3" size is better.

edit: P.S. I hear your car sounds like crap Dave :D :D :D

lol

That was a kick butt sales pitch :D , and I think it was from me as I said I wasn't sold on it. I will go back an reread what I have read on the web page and look through the forum here though, as it sounds like your car is doing some amazing work. I said I wasn't sold for a simple reason, here is why.

I don't know them. I know pearless, I really know fostex. I know every other brand mentioned, and they cost less than what "appears" to be similar performance from the hybrid. Again I can't tell about the actual sound. I would love for my truck to sound as ideal as your car, but, if I can get 98% of that and pay a half ton less.... well. Competition is another thing. I honestly beleive they are probably amazing drivers, but being online and looking, the cost is up there too.

I think the fostex might be a bit optemistic on it's range it's stated to have

Frequency response from 122 Hz to 32 kHz

Depends on the level of roll off you consider in the range. :D

I think the fostex might be a bit optemistic on it's range it's stated to have

Frequency response from 122 Hz to 32 kHz

For the 3'ers I'd be scared of running them down that low anyway :D

The 4's could do that, but not in a car.

And I'm not sure about 32KHz, but even the 6's get up there...if you're dead on axis :)

If this is correct, the hybrid may be a decent choice. Less expencive than the seas by a decent bit I suppose.

http://www.lmfaudio.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=110

Do you think that I would loose something in the mid range from the SEAS. It looks like I would have to dip really low for a tweet with the SEAS.

Hybrid claims the legatia works well in a small enclosure, and may in fact be able to run "tweetless". I'm skeptical, but I am about everything.

Edited by dem beats

I shouldn't post this without experience on the L4, but if I were running tweetless I'd pick the Fostex. I'd love to sit down and hear the L4 and be proven differently though. I am completely open to it, just without experience I am not able to recommend that.

The Seas has a hell of a midrange, but it will need a robust tweet. Super great driver, but for your application may not be the best.

I haven't heard the Legatia's on axis, listening to them off the windshield isn't really applicable in this situation.