Fenix

Budget Setup Suggestions

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here on SSA! I've recently purchased a 2008 Hyundai Elantra SE ( and am looking to build a nice system for it. Keep in mind that I'm a college student and do not have too much money. Basic idea is, the less money I spend the better. However, I do want a system that has nice SQ as well as enough bass that it could make people look my way! You know, maybe at a stoplight or in front of my friends. I listen to a lot of rock, but I also listen to rap. I'm not going to do any competitions, and I don't want to go overboard. I'd have to say my limit is under 500 dollars, and under 400 would be even better.

I don't have any components except what came stock with the car, which is: 220-Watt Six Speaker System (Two Tweeters). So as I understand it, I'll need a sub(s), amp and an enclosure. I have 14.2 cubic feet of trunk space... but I don't want to take up the entire trunk if you feel me. I'm pretty handy so I might be able to build my own box if it isn't too hard. I have all the tools that it would require. I was told to go ported if anything. I've also heard some good things about RE 12's and FI Q 12'. I'll be building this system over the next few months, so I have time for all considerations. Thanks for your input!

- Michael

Well... for starters, $500 won't get you a system. It might get you a substage.

Also, keeping your stock speakers isn't SQ.

Since you did mention that you wanted something with SQ and that you're handy. We'll point you off in the direction of a Sealed box for now. Since you have the time, I'd wait for the new Stereo Integrity Magnum to come out. It's sub $300 and works excellent in a sealed box. You won't need much power to run it, thus lowering your amplifier budget.

And might I suggest looking for a refurbished sundown sax-100.4 from Db-r. That should be enough to get you started amp wise and leave you room for amping your upfront mids.

And might I suggest looking for a refurbished sundown sax-100.4 from Db-r. That should be enough to get you started amp wise and leave you room for amping your upfront mids.

That'd be a great idea, especially paired with the new Mag. It's a D2 woofer, so you could wire it in Series and bridge two channels of the SAX-100.4 to it. It doesn't need much power, as it's a very efficient woofer.

John I would have to disagree with your statement of stock speakers not being SQ. Stock setups aren't always that bad, and to prove this point a guy I knew took a VW Beetle and kept the speakers stock but added some EQ power and he got 3rd at USACi finals a few years ago.

With that budget I would probably go used. Unless you can get the new D2 like they're talking about, as I'd recommend that as well. But you should be able to get a 600-1000 watt class D on ebay for 200 or so. The Sundown they recommend would work as well, I just don't know much about it. As for subs, you could go on ebay and find some older subs at steals of prices. Things like older JL Audio W3's, Orion XTR pro's, Crossfire BMF's, RE audio SE's, etc. You could probably get 2 of those 12's for 150. Just make sure they're in good shape. Or you could go with a one sub setup and step up to something a little more beefy.

Also, if you can build your own box, definitely do that. It'll end up costing you 30 dollars at most. and as they said, I would go sealed as well.

Either way he doesn't want SQ he wants to be noticed at a stoplight :(

oh I glanced right over that sentence.

um, yeah, don't do that.

However, I do want a system that has nice SQ as well as enough bass that it could make people look my way!

You do realize that most people over the age of 25, when looking at you, aren't impressed but are thinking "What an asshat..."?

I knew people would misinterpret what I meant. I'm not the kind of guy that is wanting to get a system just so I can ride around pissing people off. That's annoying. Sure, I'd like the sub(s) to have enough power that people could hear me, or I could impress my friends. Just because I would have the power, doesn't mean im going to be ignorant all the time, and actually use it. Besides, I live in a one light town north of Wilmington, NC. The biggest jobs out here are chopping off the heads of turkeys. Guns go off more than sound systems do, hah. :lol: That being said, I don't understand why I would need to buy a bunch of new speakers... it's a brand new car with an upgraded stereo system. I'm not complaining about that sound, and I guess thats partial SQ. I want more bass. When I play songs like Speakerboxx or Hypnotize and such, it's just not strong enough. So yes, I guess im leaning towards more SPL than SQ. I feel my current system is adequate in all areas except bass.

- Michael

Edited by Fenix

John I would have to disagree with your statement of stock speakers not being SQ. Stock setups aren't always that bad, and to prove this point a guy I knew took a VW Beetle and kept the speakers stock but added some EQ power and he got 3rd at USACi finals a few years ago.

Yes, but he also added acoustical treatment to the speaker locations and the doors. And he had the Pioneer P9 Combo to control everything. Not to mention he actively amped them too.

When you make that many changes, they're not really stock speakers any more.

I'd say you need to spend some time on epay and shopping around. Used will save you a lot, maybe some things you will want new. Recently I sold a 900rms kenwood class d and a lightning audio strike 1kw rms, both went for around 100. Both are put together fairly well even though they get blasted on forums. I guess I would try some amps and get your sub box working, then see how the stock drivers work on a HP amplified. Then you need better drivers in front most likely and a HU depending on what you want to do. You may need a way to EQ it...IMO I hate running stock HU but it can be done. I would get a class d sub amp and a 2 or 4ch high side amp.

I always toss a system together and get it going, if I want X item then I eventually get it and swap it in. I been swapping stuff since day one. I bet in a couple months I could put together a whole system for $500 maybe much less. Not sure how great but it would work. The other day I bought a guy an insignia 500rms for $40, even if its not super clean it does not matter on subs and it was NIB. I bought a 4ga amp wire set for $20 couple months ago, found some gold plated RCA for $4 at a local thrifty place. Once bought a nice soundstream 300w amp for $40 at a pawn shop like two year ago, you just never know. I ran a single 12 with it and it pumped it out on only an 8ga power wire. Don't like that 12 its a P5 explod, but I paid <40 for the new box and used sub for a temp rig until I got my install in. I would try to get a better quality amp for highs, the sub you can use anything to start with long as its big. I saw a new ultra linear 2400 that is 900rms I think, sold for 70 the other day. Then again I'd rather have a used 900 or 1kw for 100 that was class d as they take less power. I only mention that UL amp because I have seen the guts in one and 12 outputs is not bad, but yes if you get a cheap amp odds are it will be larger and you need a real big one to do the same job as a better amp. They tend to not be as reliable either. Lately I've been reading the cerwin vega exl I think it was, was a good cheap amp but I have not used one. I read they are nearly identical to arc audio amps but check it out if interested to make sure that is right one. Lots of the people on here don't mess with budget stuff, and that is nice, but sometimes you have to.

These guys can tell you more about what subs to get there are so many, but with that budget you really need to go low buck to start with and work your way up...or you will not have tunes for a long time. Don't be so choosy and get some tunes going, then you can piece together what you really want. Kenwood might not be your dream amp, but hey if it works run it. You can always get your money back out of used stuff if you buy it right. My subs...I have 4 infinity 12s in my car and like them, also have a mtx and a alphasonik that work nice. None are that special but fine for what I do with them. Infinity in my car are IB, the rest I keep for spares and test amps on. The subs really depend on what power level you are going to be at. My car only has 420rms I can't even max them out IB but it is lots of bass for me since I can't even hear the front comps when I crank them up. That is why I am swapping out the 5ch amp in there, but changing the sub setup too for other reasons. They are heavy, I want to try two 15 instead and would give me more amp room. Whoa fn book there, hope that helps you out.

Also you can save some other ways, I have used HD lamp cord from hardware place for speaker wire. It is near the same and cheap. Same with RCA, get something that is not going to fall apart but expensive ones are not going to help you on this system but hurt because you can't spent in places you need to. All that stuff can be replaced later if you want.

Edited by sqguyib

Thank you very much sqguyib. It looks as though I'm going to have to do exactly that. I'm going to be spending the next few months on craigslist and ebay compiling different equipment to get this going. I appreciate all your input. and I thank you for not judging me from the start, unlike others! Thanks man.

500 CAN get you a system, but your best bet would be to save up money and do it right the first time.

500 CAN get you a system, but your best bet would be to save up money and do it right the first time.

I could save up for a new BMW car, but I'd be walking for years and years. It is great if you can buy X and put it in, but I paid for school myself, cars, boats, now working on a second house....and I had tunes the whole time. Sometimes pretty nice and other times whatever would get me by and be half respectable in sound. I don't care if its a pyramid, if it works and that is all I have I'll use it. I love a great system, but other things always seem to interfere. And if you snoop around and test/swap a lot of stuff you can come up with a great system for little cash. That is one reason I like to try different stuff all the time, and well its kind of fun I guess. I have a huge ultra linear amp I'm trying to get running, I can't wait to see what it does...just for fun then I have some alpine class d I'll likely end up using for subs.

I bought this kicker I have now new, naturally it is not working out like I want. There is less disappointment when you don't pay much for something that does not work out. Of course there is less chance of that with higher quality equipment. I guess if you hate installing then you should save up, I used to do it so not a big deal except for finding the time to do it lately has been a problem. No doubt if you want it cheap it will take some effort.

I had a couple of kenwoods that really put out and they were reasonable, but I sold them. Some other brands tend to be pretty workable and reasonable, like alpine, lightning audio strike, hifonics, sometimes memphis and mtx there are many more. You shop a lot and you can hit deals. Like I said, later on you can buy X brand new amp and swap it in then you will have what you want...if that is what you want. Me, I can't go without until then. I'll run kraco subs just to have subs. Then again for high side amps I like older ones better than new and always keep a few around.

I'm fairly sure a nice budget system would cost A LOT less than a new Bimmer.

I'm with sqguyib here. Just read up and try to find some good deals. I'll tell you this though, I would NOT buy anyone's front speakers used. I have gone used 3 times and each time I got less than I expected, whether it be something is loose, broken, rattling, whatever. For $500 you can have a system that will bump, but you will have to do the work for it to sound good.

I put my first system together with less than that. My most expensive item was the wiring since I wanted 0 gauge because I knew I was going to upgrade. A lot of people will hype you on an expensive sub. Really I don't get it...how loud are you going to listen to it? IF you are trying to impress your friends I doubt they would know the difference. The best thing I think I've done for my stereo was to seal up my front doors. Then I got bass without a sub. It made me realize that a sub should be playing an octave or an octave and a half at most. Why should I outspend everything else in my system for this great sub?

Anyway... look at the PG RSD 65cs they are like 100.00 shipped on ebay, or the pioneer ts-d1720c on newegg.com, they are like $112 shipped. For an amp, sqguyib mentioned the cerwin vega exl line. They are cheap but have the same board as the ARC audio stuff that goes for way more. You can get a 400.4 for like $90 shipped. So we are at $200. You could probably pick up whatever wiring you need of the forums for about $50, so $250 for an amp and sub, and box. Box you can build yourself, so figure a sheet of MDF and glue $35. Take this ED sub off special http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=721 for $70 and figure $30 shipping which leaves you about $100 to find a used amp to run it. Voila, everything under $500, and you get almost everything new and it will bump. You can use the left over budget to send me a 6-pack.

The best part is the experience of it all. To me, you gotta start somewhere, and I wouldn't wanna start buying the expensive stuff and have somebody with more experience on a budget leave me pwnt.

Funny I'd much rather buy fronts used than a sub...but I probably buy from a different type seller.

I bought my boston rc820 comps used and they work great...yeah except my lack of door treatment but that my fault. Seller was into high SQ stuff and great feedback/etc. Not sure think under 70 I paid. I had to make tiny spades for the tweeters and that was a pain, plus custom mounts because they had none. I would agree to spend more on front speakers because they make the SQ in your system, on the other hand if you get the right bare drivers you can also get out cheap but more work! I would shop up what you need and get them in there to start off.

My subs are used too from retail store on epay, tested, no problems with them for average <$35 each shipped for the infinity 12s. They were dumping lots of them, that is time to buy. Rear speakers are some used cheap coax, mostly for when I'm outside car and were ~$15. I got the kicker 5ch as refurb for I think 160 shipped on ubid. I've seen broken ones go for more on epay, don't ask me why I don't know. It is a kicker factory refurb came in new box w/new accessories and test sheet. $35 walmart 5ga wire kit for two amps because I needed one fast, is a schoche seems ok, but I bought a 4ga power kit for $20 shipped if I need it. Amps are everywhere, just got a 4x50/2x160rms dragster they are supposedly good amps but $30? I'll take it. Just get brand name stuff that works, then move up later when you find something better for a deal or can afford 'X' that you want. Better that than buying new no-name stuff IMO (unless you know it works well). Keep watching and you can grab a couple reasonable. But yes those cerwin amps are hard to beat.

For subs I always wanted to try some mach5s but have not had the chance to yet, they seem quite reasonable for the performance but there are tons of subs that work well from what I see (for music). I have seen some of the 4500 mtx go cheap for new ones online, I like the 10 I ran it sounded good IMO if they handle enough power for you. If you can find a place closing out a model, last year I found a place that had the whole line of polk audio speakers marked way down to dump them as the new year models were in. Likely a different color is all. If you are not into buying used like I do, Ogahyellow has some good points on new stuff. I do buy new at times, when I really know what I want but mostly I like trying stuff so used works for me. Every time I buy new it does not work out.

Part of my wiring is lamp cord, the rest is speaker wire from a hardware chain. My EQ is used, the alpine HU came out of a car I bought and I had to get a new face and remote for 100 at the time. Naturally I want to swap near all of it out soon.

Here would have been a great high side amp for example: 260241474224 I had to run some errands or I would have bid on it, that is a great deal.

You can get one of these with the caps for this price maybe less 190222616029, or there are other cheaper amps for the wattage. They are new, efficient, small and so require less electrical in the car but I'm not recommending this particular amp as I have not used one. They are fairly popular on there, are made in China but have 4 layer boards and look all machine made so nothing sloppy. I have one here to try.

So $125 and you would have had two amps shipped that should be of good quality, and certainly you could pedal them and get your money minus shipping out of them any time you wanted to upgrade. That MTX would be 2x50rms@12v, so figure 75 or so at 14v like other amps are rated. 600rms at 2 ohms on sub would be enough to shake the mirrors easy.

Edited by sqguyib

Funny I'd much rather buy fronts used than a sub...but I probably buy from a different type seller.

I think if I knew now what I did then, I'd feel the same way. Looking at your sig, I see you are running seas fronts. I would feel much safer buying something like that used than what I did get. As long as you do enoughh research he should be fine. I'll admit it took getting burned to learn my lesson.

Learning how to get good gear on the cheap is a lesson in of itself...

I bought the older style SS rubicon 302 for $40 at a pawn shop. Took me a year to find another reasonable and paid just under 75 tmd so I could run a pair, that was cheapest I found for a nice one.

Waste a lot of time looking, that is how to find the deals...lol. Once had this job in an office with long hours, so we would walk at lunch because that was near all the activity you had all day. In winter/rain we went to a big mall, so every day I went through stores right to the back and past the clearance racks....yeah I bought nice $20 tee shirts for $4, coats, pants, you name it had a closet full after about a year doing that in a couple malls. You had to hit a store every week, that is how you get the deals.