Sign in to follow this  
dustin420

2 10's vs 1 12

ok i need some help decideing between my next setup. i allready have a RE12.1 amp rated at 1200wrms at 1ohm but i've seen bench tests showing close to 1500wrms, i have a 99 grand am and would like to keep the box around 3.5cf net. now my options either 2 10's ported 1 12 ported or 2 12's sealed. in all honesty i would love 2 12 mags sealed but as nick informed me their only come in dvc2 which won't work with my amp, well they will work but i dont think their output will meet my needs. so now that leaves me looking. so far im looking into ssa icons, audioque 2.5, aa arsenal, and re se for dual sub setup and AA havoc, audioque hdc, nightshade, and re sx for single sub setups. what i want to achieve is a 140 on music, have a decently flat response from 35-70hz but be audioable down to 25hz. whatever setup i choose im gonna have pete (hexibase) design my box. so let the opinions flow.

i would suggest running 2 10s but in this case, because of what power you have, 1 12" Audioque HDC3 would probably do it.

I will HIGHLY suggest to build the box as large as possible, u say u have 3.5, use all of that space.

They only require 2.5 but u have just enough power, your in between the enough and wangin line when it comes to power, hehe.

You should be able to tune the box around 34hz, maybe even 35hz and be able to drop that low. I wouldnt try it with the HD2.5s because they don't have as good as suspension as the HDC3 does.

With those subs, you can tune higher, which means getting the higher notes without a rolloff and still be able to drop lower without bottoming out. That is also install specific as well. It is still up to you to properly set the subsonic filter to prevent damage as no sub is the magic wonder, hehe.

U got my choice.

I own 2 of these but have yet to see power, the suspension on them right now... SUPER FRICKIN STIFF!

These things have an Xmech of 3" and i can barely even move them right now.

With those subs, you can tune higher, which means getting the higher notes without a rolloff and still be able to drop lower without bottoming out.

Meh...

im just gonna leave all the box designing up to pete, he has alot more expeience than i do. i was thinking 1 12 but 2 10's will have more surface area and motor strentgh thats why i question my descion.

Honestly, I believe with your cabin size, a regular, plain sealed enclosure for two 12's will fit your needs. Extension down to 25Hz easy, and no enclosure "designing" needed :)

If you're having Pete design your box, ask him what woofers to get!

Give him the sound you're after, the car you drive, and he'll be in a better position of designing a system that will work for your setup.

With those subs, you can tune higher, which means getting the higher notes without a rolloff and still be able to drop lower without bottoming out. That is also install specific as well. It is still up to you to properly set the subsonic filter to prevent damage as no sub is the magic wonder, hehe.

Not quite how it works, in particular since the OP asked for a smooth response from 35-70hz...although I will add 70hz is WAY too high to cross a sub at.

Not quite how it works, in particular since the OP asked for a smooth response from 35-70hz...although I will add 70hz is WAY too high to cross a sub at.

hehe your gonna hate my then, cause right now i have the sub crossed at 80hz on the amp and 125hz on the HU, haha but i have stock midrange speaks so i have to work with what i got to get it to sound decent.

jim do you think that if i got 2 12's they could do 140 on music? thats what im shooting for since thats how loud my last setup was? also if i don't like them sealed and decide to go ported do you think i could fit them in 3.5cf? i know it would be driver specific but a generall over view.

Personally I wouldn't use two different crossovers, pick one or the other and stick with it.

The 140 question will depend on the box and drivers, no one can really answer.

Perhaps since you want two Mags, you should sell your amp and get a different one.

ya i could just use one crossover but idk im lazy and it sounds decent now so im not gonna mes with it. i thought about selling the 12.1 also but i love this amp, plus i highly doubt i could make enough from selling it to buy a "good" 1000wrms+ at 2ohm amp.

why can't you do a single 15" most 15s will work well in 3.5 cubes ported and they will get you your low lows.

why can't you do a single 15" most 15s will work well in 3.5 cubes ported and they will get you your low lows.

because to fit a 15 it would have to fire up at the trunk lid and i hear that is the worst position for spl. i think im gonna go 2 12's anyway try them sealed at first then just get a design from pete if i ever want more output.