Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

18" Nightshade Pics

18_inch_cone.jpg

* Dust cap... applied with three types of glue.

1) Green "special" glue to hold down stiffening disc (can't see the disc)

2) Black flexible glue to hold the cap to the disc

3) Clear epoxy to cover the height of the disc / cap combined around the edges

* Surround is applied with flexible black glue as well

18_inch_TJ.jpg

* Triple joint - the cone doesn't meet the spiders, so it's a "dual triple joint" setup. Used glue all the way across the gap. Spider also glued down with "special" glue (yes, it's green) - then the gap between the outside of the spider and basket filled in with green special glue.

18_inch_Spacers.jpg

* 18" 6-spoke doesn't have windows so spacers used for venting.

----

The green glue is experimental... this is the first full driver I've built with it. On paper it's incredibly strong, resistant to solvents and chemicals, and high temperature.

Before applying the dust cap I ran it full blast on a 1500D @ 1 ohm free air and it held. This sub has two hard and two soft spiders stacked in an alternating pattern, FYI.

And no... they aren't production yet.

I have a few custom built that are doing to Team Sundown members and this one that is going to someone as well.

The triple joint glue isn't "smooth" like I would want... this glue is strange in that it doesn't budge from where it is applied for as much as a 3/8" gap. You can apply it and turn it upside down and it dries just like you left it. So there is no settling in and smoothing out with this stuff. BUT, if it is as strong in a speaker application as it is listed to be in the data sheets I may end up using it to build the "big subs" mentioned in the other thread.

Another reason why I used regular clear epoxy around the cap, it settles and dries smooth and pretty looking.

The triple joint glue isn't "smooth" like I would want... this glue is strange in that it doesn't budge from where it is applied for as much as a 3/8" gap. You can apply it and turn it upside down and it dries just like you left it. So there is no settling in and smoothing out with this stuff. BUT, if it is as strong in a speaker application as it is listed to be in the data sheets I may end up using it to build the "big subs" mentioned in the other thread.

Another reason why I used regular clear epoxy around the cap, it settles and dries smooth and pretty looking.

Epoxy can be strong enough for dust caps anyways.

Epoxy can be strong enough for dust caps anyways.

Indeed, the black glue is doing most of the holding anyway - and it holds the caps on the MT I re-coned in the truck :)

The epoxy is really only there to fill in the gap around the disc / dust cap stacked together so it looks nicer. It does add a bit more strength too, though.

How much will this 18" be weighing in at?

Just a couple pounds more than the 15s - its the same motor and the baskets aren't that heavy.

So the only thing that changes is the spider setup?

I think that changes dependent on the power being applied the 2 Im having built will have the 4th spider and a longer coil because Ill be having 3k to each

Yep - depends on what you want. With 1500-watts all you need are the stock 3 spiders.

This sub in particular has a very long D2 coil - almost twice as long as the standard coil.

Yep - depends on what you want. With 1500-watts all you need are the stock 3 spiders.

This sub in particular has a very long D2 coil - almost twice as long as the standard coil.

Beautiful.

Yulp, that 18 there should get 3k watts daily. :)

Just a question, I have noticed that most companies use that 6 spoke basket on their 18" subs instead of the 12 spoke. Is there and particular reason like cost or basket strength that keeps companies from using the 12 spoke on the 18" subs?

Just a question, I have noticed that most companies use that 6 spoke basket on their 18" subs instead of the 12 spoke. Is there and particular reason like cost or basket strength that keeps companies from using the 12 spoke on the 18" subs?

There is something strange about the tooling owner of the 18" 12-spoke... I think the guys @ Fi would be able to tell you more about it.

As for me, I was able to acquire the 6-spokes much easier for the small custom run of 18s.

There is something strange about the tooling owner of the 18" 12-spoke... I think the guys @ Fi would be able to tell you more about it.

As for me, I was able to acquire the 6-spokes much easier for the small custom run of 18s.

Oh, ok. Yea, Fi seems to be the only company that uses an 18" 12 spoke. It's obviously not a big deal, I was just wondering since you, Soundsplinter, and almost all others that use teh 12 spoke on their lineup use the 6 spoke for their 18" drivers.

u could put some of the black glue on the green glue if ya wanted to hide it :)

or just get a black sharpie :peepwall:

*laughs*

I'm not really worried about hiding it behind the cone, you really won't be seeing it.

The other sizes meet up @ the cone / spider joint as well so there isn't a big joint like the 18s.

Boom like so?

Gonna do some more testing on it next week now that the dust cap glue has set fully (the black glue takes 24 hours).

Sign in to follow this