Sign in to follow this  
mrbobian

Loud in the doorway???

I don't know if there is anything that can be done, but just thought I'd ask. I have two old infinity cabs that are sealed and some random Phillips speakers from a mini Hi-Fi system sitting on top, all power by a Pioneer receiver, nothing special, just gets the job done for my bedroom. I noticed the other day when playing some rap with higher bass (say 50-60hz) that the lows are MUCH louder when I'm standing in the doorway to my room... WTF? Its like my room is an enclosure and the door is the port or something? Any way, is there something that can be done to make it louder inside my room instead of on the way out of my room? Thanks,

Mike B.

Its like my room is an enclosure and the door is the port or something?

You hit the nail on the head.

What can you do... it's call subwoofer crawling. It's a PITA and more art than science. Put the sub where you listen to it, then crawl around the room untill you find a spot where is't louder/est. Put sub in that spot, and fine tune it from there. If it's not working rinse and repeate. It should take only one try but once in a really odd shaped room there must have been some messed up cancelation so we found the next closest spot. Usualy also if you only want innacurate high SPL bang bang boom, putting the sub in the corner can usualy help with that, but IMHO for most things it ruins the experience as it makes it much louder and really effects clarity.

close your door. hehe

close your door. hehe

that will help too.

I fergot teh obvious.

close your door. hehe

Then I can't piss off my mom haha, just kidding.

I will try the suggestions, thanks for the help,

Mike B.

Its like my room is an enclosure and the door is the port or something?

You hit the nail on the head.

What can you do... it's call subwoofer crawling. It's a PITA and more art than science. Put the sub where you listen to it, then crawl around the room untill you find a spot where is't louder/est. Put sub in that spot, and fine tune it from there. If it's not working rinse and repeate. It should take only one try but once in a really odd shaped room there must have been some messed up cancelation so we found the next closest spot. Usualy also if you only want innacurate high SPL bang bang boom, putting the sub in the corner can usualy help with that, but IMHO for most things it ruins the experience as it makes it much louder and really effects clarity.

Also, if you walk a room you will find the nodes and anti-nodes, in the nodes it is really loud, in the anti-nodes it is almost silent. This is due to the size of the waves compared to the room and also due to constructive and destructive interferennce of all the waves in a room as they bounce around.

Good demo of that: