Sign in to follow this  
scizzle

Focal or Boston acoustics

the Pro60's vs the new 08 focals not sure what there called but there around 500$ and they are not yellow they have the new technology and are graphite in color?

Do you have a chance to listen to either or both sets?

Before I drop that much cash on speakers I would do everything I can to expose myself to as many different sound stage installations and speaker models. See what you like and what you could not deal with on a daily basis.

But for your question ... I really do not think you could go wrong with either set in the right installation. What amplifier will you be using for your front stage?

Do you have a chance to listen to either or both sets?

Before I drop that much cash on speakers I would do everything I can to expose myself to as many different sound stage installations and speaker models. See what you like and what you could not deal with on a daily basis.

But for your question ... I really do not think you could go wrong with either set in the right installation. What amplifier will you be using for your front stage?

Sundown 100.4 I can hear focals but not the bostons but the only thing I know I don't like about midrange speakers is the screeching highs of infinity speakers so I can handle anything that is better than those and I know both are but.

I would pick up hertz space k6l components before either of those choices. It's just a better sounding set of speakers. I have never been a fan of Focal's tweets. Boston Acoustics have never really impressed me either, they have better tweets from experience, but the soundstage always sounds too close for my personal taste. That and solid female vocals tend to sound airy.

I'm probably considered a hertz fanboy, but for the sub $600 price range and with passives, I can't think of a better sounding set of components.

That is a hell of a lot of dough for a set of passives, I'd never buy either without hearing them in a good install.

I was just thinking about it. For your 500$ price point, you could also get Hybrid Audio Clarus components and get in on the group sale deal.

For $500 I'd rather just go active :)

BA or Focals aren't for everyone, that's for sure. I don't think I could live with the Focal tweet, the Bostons would be a lot more workable but IME they too benefit a ton from actively bi-amping...

BA or Focals aren't for everyone, that's for sure. I don't think I could live with the Focal tweet, the Bostons would be a lot more workable but IME they too benefit a ton from actively bi-amping...

I haven't heard them yet but are the Focal tweets ear screeching like infinity speakers or something?

I haven't heard them yet but are the Focal tweets ear screeching like infinity speakers or something?

Not ear screeching, definitely fatiguing after a lot of listening. They don't blend too well either without a really steep x-over slope.

Well I heard the Focals today and they were amazing the best speakers I've ever heard thus far, so I bought them they ended up being 400 not 500. they are the 165 VR wow they sound even better than the k2's.

well I listened to Focal's, Boston's, and MB Quarts. top brands in my area at the time.

I ended up going with the MB Quarts QSD 216's, you can snag them on ebay for like $300 a set. (they wanted $1500 in the store)

they just sounded best to me... thats what you should go off of, what sounds best to you... all of these brands are pretty good, respectable co.'s, but each person has individual tastes.

knowing what I know now, I woulda gone active...sounds way better than passive x-overs... did it in my rear MB's.

hmmm maybe a pair of sundown 100.4's in the near future...

Edited by brent338

Well I heard the Focals today and they were amazing the best speakers I've ever heard thus far, so I bought them they ended up being 400 not 500. they are the 165 VR wow they sound even better than the k2's.

Did you hear them in a car or on a sound board?

Did you hear them in a car or on a sound board?

Both one of the installers had them in his car lol. I have a lot of room in my ride for airspace as well IMO they sound better with more space.