Sign in to follow this  
AnaMayShun

Amps for the 15" Q

In a week or so i'm going to be ordering a 15" Q. What are some amps you're using for the Q.

These are what i'm looking at, at the moment.

Alpine PDX 1.1000

PHOENIX GOLD RSD1200.1

Hifonics Brutus BXi 1608D

Sundown Sae-1000d would be my suggestion.

out of the 4, cross the Hifonics off the list

You're the 2nd person to suggest this to me. Where can I purchase it? I went to the site, and I didn't see any online dealers.

out of the 4, cross the Hifonics off the list

I appreciate the suggestion. But can I get a reasoning behind it?

"You're the 2nd person to suggest this to me. Where can I purchase it? I went to the site, and I didn't see any online dealers."

Scroll back to the top of this page, look in the blue nav bar towards the left side where it says "Shop" and get busy. I own a 1000d myself and it is a bad ass amp and is very resonably priced for its output. If you have any doubts, hit the Sundown Audio section here on the forum and have a look at the power testing on the 1000d.

Edited by kandiman

"You're the 2nd person to suggest this to me. Where can I purchase it? I went to the site, and I didn't see any online dealers."

Scroll back to the top of this page, look in the blue nav bar towards the left side where it says "Shop" and get busy. I own a 1000d myself and it is a bad ass amp and is very resonably priced for its output. If you have any doubts, hit the Sundown Audio section here on the forum and have a look at the power testing on the 1000d.

Thanks.

I see the SAZ-1500D is also on sale. I got to head down to the Sundown Audio section and read about the 2 amps.

This is what i used for my 15" Q with BP power option and it worked flawlessly - Kicker Kx1200.1 Amp

Anymore power would have been too much. And with any less, i wouldn't have been getting all i could out of my sub.

That link is to my auction and the amp works perfectly. You can see buy my feedback that i don't sell junk. Goodluck Ana!

Edited by Big Shot

Unless something changes. I think I'm going to go with the SAE-1000D.

Good choice. I have the 1500. I'm going to run the gains conservatively on the same speaker you have. I got too good a deal to not get it lol.

So far, I have loved my Sundown. Never skips a beat runs cool. I think you'll like it.

did you get the BP power option? if so than you can feed it more power, like the saz-1500d, that would get full potential out of the Q.

did you get the BP power option? if so than you can feed it more power, like the saz-1500d, that would get full potential out of the Q.

I haven't ordered the sub yet. Is the BP option needed? Or is it just a luxury?

It's a metallic plug that allows for better venting to the cone of the woofer to allow more power handling. If you want to put more than about 1200rms I would get the BP option. It would allow you to run a 1500 on it. I honestly don't see the need. 1000rms or so will be plenty to get loud and sound good.

It's a metallic plug that allows for better venting to the cone of the woofer to allow more power handling. If you want to put more than about 1200rms I would get the BP option. It would allow you to run a 1500 on it. I honestly don't see the need. 1000rms or so will be plenty to get loud and sound good.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I need to have extremely loud subs.

that's a great setup, it really just depends on how loud you want it, it's all on goals, if deep, rich, accurate SQ is the goal, then you got the perfect setup, BP power would lower the performance of the woofer in a sealed box. if you want a loud ground pounder, then BP power, low tuned ported box, and a 1500 watt amp would be great.

dakotap- I believe the BP power option actually adds more spiders to strengthen the motor structure which is why it doesn't do as well in a sealed box with the option. the metallic plug is a newer option the H sink or something for 10 bucks. can't remember what term they used on the site.

dakotap- I believe the BP power option actually adds more spiders to strengthen the motor structure which is why it doesn't do as well in a sealed box with the option. the metallic plug is a newer option the H sink or something for 10 bucks. can't remember what term they used on the site.

You are thinking of something else. This is a quote I found from Fi.

The BP option option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack for a little extra mechanical ability.

All of these new features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application.

There is a little spec change on the drivers as we are adding a little more suspension stiffness (although we are swapping stiff spiders out for more soft ones too). The subs stay a little closer to their original suspension values and have a slightly increased qts, fs, and reduced vas. Not too much of an issue and I have found it to be beneficial in mst bassrace setups.

Now this is not something for everyone and I dont think that most people need to add it. But we are getting more and more bassrace applications where being able to stack more power to ge the sub to its linear limits for a specific application requires more than the rated RMS power (often quite a bit more) and this option allows you to push things a little harder for some applications. If you are looking for a SQ setup or just a clean daily setup within the normal limits of the subs... then there is no point.

Would I recommend it to someone with 1200W in a daily driver? I doubt it as it really wouldnt be needed and the extra 200W really isnt an issue. Its the guys that are trying to stack on 1800W and push them as hard as possible for 30 seconds (or try to all day) while voltage starts to drop and things start to get ugly towards the end.

Edited by dakotap

wow that 40 bucks adds a lot, i guess we were both right lol

Sign in to follow this