Sign in to follow this  
bs1991

Subwoofers + Convertibles = ?

I am looking to buy a new car and I have a question for anyone who knows, or has experience with what subwoofers sound like in a convertible. The car I am looking to buy is a 1997 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs and I was wondering if subwoofers would be worth putting in. I know that is waaaay too broad of a question because everyone has different definitons of sound quality and volume, but I would just like some opinions maybe from people who have put subwoofers in a convertible before.

I am looking to buy a new car and I have a question for anyone who knows, or has experience with what subwoofers sound like in a convertible. The car I am looking to buy is a 1997 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs and I was wondering if subwoofers would be worth putting in. I know that is waaaay too broad of a question because everyone has different definitons of sound quality and volume, but I would just like some opinions maybe from people who have put subwoofers in a convertible before.

I used to have a 97 Eclipse Spyder GS-T

I would sugest a good pair of 8' midbass in the front doors (I had JL 8IB4's) to help up front.

I ran 1 Eclipse Alum 15 sealed in the trunk off an RF Power 1100a2 and hit a 138.8 at the dash.

The only problem with rattling I couldn't get rid of was where the top met the trunk when the top was up.

Depending on the way the top fits in the trunk, it can be no different or completely different than a normal trunk install. When the top is down, you will hear much less bass, but either way spl is not going to happen with a soft-top.

My best friend has a 2005 Roush Mustang Stage 1 convertible. It is deplorable with the top down. But he has a mustang, probably the worst car (even the non-convertible) for subwoofers.

I would emphasize a strong midbass choice for your doors or consider running a much larger driver in your doors like an 8" midbass. You can put subs in the trunk, every car is different.

I would sugest a good pair of 8' midbass in the front doors (I had JL 8IB4's) to help up front.

I ran 1 Eclipse Alum 15 sealed in the trunk off an RF Power 1100a2 and hit a 138.8 at the dash.

The only problem with rattling I couldn't get rid of was where the top met the trunk when the top was up.

How did it sound when the top was down? did the trunk rattle too bad?

How did it sound when the top was down? did the trunk rattle too bad?

No, it sounded good, I had a pretty beefy front stage though.

Did you need tons of sound deadener in the trunk too?

aurora bass shakers lol

you would need the same amount of deadening... Convertible vehicles are beefed up and more deadener is used from factory to compensate for the rag.

Did you need tons of sound deadener in the trunk too?

No, I actually didn't use much at all. Two layers on the outside door pannel and one on the inside door pannel. One layer on the trunk lid and one on the license plate.

i have a convertible also. i am putting a aq hd3 12 in it. it sounded good with a AQ 10 but sold that