Cutra

Installed ESX amps

Well I finished my brothers car stereo.

I installed 2 ESX amps a 175.2 for his front end and a 275.2 for his subs.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

We have the setup right now running at flat yet we will be tuning it soon.

These amps are just wonderful.

I have had some ESX amps in my cars before yet never an install like this.

Simple yet very effective.!

We have 6.5's in the doors with tweeters as well as 4 incher's in the dash.

There are 2 JBL's P1220II at 2 ohms in a sealed box in the rear.

The car is a 1997 (i think) VW Golf hatchback.

The sound that these amps produce is just crystal clear with enough power to make me and my brother happy.

I wonder how it will sound when we tune it properly.

Anyone else run ESX amps?

Do you have any pics of the install ?

I always make an attempt at grabbing one if they go up for sale.

I am running 4 Zed ESX amps in my setup:

Q120.4 for front tweeters (active) and center channel (passive)

Q275.2 for front midbass (active)

Q175.2 for rear components (passive)

Q475.1 for subs

Excellent sound quality, loud as all hell, but clean at the same time... Pretty much the nicest LSQ setup going...

I modified the power/ground terminals to accept 4-gauge on all the amps... I run 0/1 gauge power to distro blocks as well as a rear battery through the distro blocks as well... 4-gauge to each amp from there, with less than 3 feet per amplifier...

All speaker cable is 12-gauge, except for the front tweeters, they got 16-gauge for the run...

All the amp signals are supplied via the ESX BLD-1 balanced line drivers... Signal cable from processor to BLDs is less than 2ft...

I have a restricted area to run cabling to the amps, so the signal cable needed to be run alongside the power cabling to the amplifiers themselves for the last 3 feet or so... Using the balanced line cables I am not worried at all about noise... Plus the mini-din cables look kickass compared to a bunch of RCA cables at the amps...

About my only 'issue' with the ESX amps is that they tend to rattle a bit when mounted and with high SPLs... I need to slide the end panels off the amps and figure a way to secure them better... I was contemplating using Gorilla tape along the bottom of the mounting plate where it meets the heatsink, but I am not certain that is a long-term solution...

Yup, i'm running a pair of Q175.2's, and I have practically every other ESX made except for the Q120.4. Yes Cutra, I know you have one for sale. :D

So flexible, balls for days. These things are the cat's ass IMO. They look simple, and run hard. They can pretty much do anything you ask of them to. The 4 channels can even be run down to TRUE MONO. Yes, use it as a 4, 3, 2, 1 channel amp. I don't know of anything else that does this. Why am I telling you guys, i'm sure you already know!

Here are some pics of the install.

I still need to get a pic of the amp rack and the deck.

hopefully soon.

DSC09775.jpg

DSC09760.jpg

Install looks good, any shots of the amp rack?

I referred a few people over here that had some ESX questions that you might be able to help on. One guy had a 120 and was not sure if he wanted to sell it or not.

I referred a few people over here that had some ESX questions that you might be able to help on. One guy had a 120 and was not sure if he wanted to sell it or not.

He wants to sell it. lol, cause I need it!

Anyway, I just got a Q475.1 for my subs, and a Q75.2 for my tweets. Already had a Q175.2 for my midbass. Now I just have to come up with a clever way to show them in my wagon trunk. :wackit3:

Anyway, I just got a Q475.1 for my subs, and a Q75.2 for my tweets. Already had a Q175.2 for my midbass. Now I just have to come up with a clever way to show them in my wagon trunk. :wackit3:

Not fair!

fing05.gif

Not fair!

fing05.gif

It's fair. BTW, I'd be willing to part with a Q60.4. :)

Not fair!

fing05.gif

But I need to find the play money to buy your 4050 and what ever else USA series you might have left before I can start building my ESX pile. :P

Not fair!

fing05.gif

But I need to find the play money to buy your 4050 and what ever else USA series you might have left before I can start building my ESX pile. :P

Gotcha. Hurry up then. People are starting to buy the USA series. FYI, the 4050 has a few scratches. It's not terrible, but not perfect.

Not fair!

fing05.gif

Gotcha. Hurry up then. People are starting to buy the USA series. FYI, the 4050 has a few scratches. It's not terrible, but not perfect.

I have to stop checking your for sale thread on DIYma. :P I had pondered seeing if you would trade a p706 that is near new in condition (that I got off of DIYma earlier this year) for the ESX 4 channel, as I am on hold for going with a 3way front stage and the ESX would be a sweet 4 channel. But that would be counter to your goal of getting rid of amplifiers.

You should post up here as I know there are some PPI Art fans on here I believe. ;)

Eh, the art's are practically all gone. One pending A404.2, and the only other one left is the AX400. What is a P706? ADS?

Eh, the art's are practically all gone. One pending A404.2, and the only other one left is the AX400. What is a P706? ADS?

6 channel, Planet Audio badged, ZED amp. I believe the US Acoustics 6300 was the same thing, different heat sink. I found a 6300 a few weeks after I bought the p706, but out well. Going to have to find some play money asap.