Sign in to follow this  
brendyn74

Might smaller be louder?

I am looking into buying the 15 or 18. I would like to say that I would rather get the 18, but that's not true. I want to get whatever will promote the best response with my trunk size. I have a 03 grand prix, and the height of the trunk is only 17 inches. The maximum dimensions the box width and length can be are 35 x 30. My main question is if the surround of the sub is only 1 1/2 to 2 inches away from the lid, will that decrease my response? With the 18 the dimensions would be 15 tall x 35 wide x 29 deep with the port firing into the cab tuned at 33hz.

Will smaller actually give me the most bass? I'm not worried about SQ, just spl...

Thanks in advance! Any help and advice would be great

One post is all you need... No one is hardly ever on at this time.. wait till tommorow when more people are on that can help instead of flooding..

To your question, i'd reduce box size for a smaller sub and have it sound good rather than have a large sub and large box and sound like crap, just cause its so close to a trunk. Theres more qualified people to answer that, but thats my opinion

Id like yo see you try to fit a box that big in the trunk with out building it in there.

Id like yo see you try to fit a box that big in the trunk with out building it in there.

if I do decide that one, i'll make sure to take pics cuz all i have to do is take down the seat. but thanks for ur sarcasm!!

if I do decide that one, i'll make sure to take pics cuz all i have to do is take down the seat. but thanks for ur sarcasm!!

INTELLIGENT ANSWERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, NOT STUPID COMMENTS LIKE ^^^^^^^^.

Thanks again

I'd say take a look at the recomended volume for ur particular sub and if u can fit a box that meets that requirement in ur trunk then go for it.

not sure which sub ur looking at but...

Enclosures:

BTL 10

If i were you i would just put 2 twelves in there. You have the room for it and you would get more output of that.

debatable and more expensive...imo

INTELLIGENT ANSWERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, NOT STUPID COMMENTS LIKE ^^^^^^^^.

Thanks again

I have a grand prix of the same body style and they are not large sub box friendly cars. If you can get a box that big in the trunk it is not going to be easy, even going through the rear seat. Then you get the box in there and it is not what you were expecting at all, no output and sounds like poo.

Just because a comment is short and to the point doesn't mean it isn't intelligent. I didn't feel like typing a long response explaining how many types of boxes Ive tried and failed with, but to each his own and some people have to learn on their own.

id do the 15 with sub and port facing rear as close to the back as possible you also want to make sure there is enough room for sound to pass around box. personaly a good 12 with good box and plenty of power should be more than enough. if your looking at the btl 12 with say 2k-2500rms daily i wouldnt doubt with a good box you could see mid 140's and with that kinda bass you better have a killer front stage

Sign in to follow this